Not open for further replies.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Is what my Wife said today.
Me: 4 (it was really 7)
Her: how much did you spend?
Me: gave her the number.
Her: Well what's the rest of this? Who are Cup o Joes and 4Noggins?
Me: tobacco
Her: JESUS! (Not in a pious way)
Me: I love you . . .
Her: I know, I love you too! But I thought we went through this. You work hard, you take good care of our family, I understand you love this, it did get you to quit cigarettes . . .
Me: ( in my head) yes, cycle down a bit . . .
Her: ok, ok, it is the only vice you have now (i used to be quite a partier) and you are so wonderful to me and our son, but please slow down.
I am now on the porch contemplating, as I write this, how to deal with the two Pete's and 3 POUNDS of Hearth & Home that are still in transit . . .
:puffpipe:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I add to my collection slowly and have the benefit of a stand alone cabinet solely dedicated to my tobacco (pipes and cigars). In the case of dollar values, round down. Also, hope they aren't delivered when she is around and don't bring out new pipe after new pipe right away.

str8musicman

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Los Angeles
Always good times. I went to a liquor store yesterday to buy some wine for the wife and discovered it was also a decent pipe/cigar shop. I got wrapped up looking and ended up getting a Peterson System 312 and two tins of tobacco. .. but no wine. Well I tried to redeem myself by tracking down her favorite wine that's hard to find at another store. Drove 20 miles to find out their computer lied and they were out. So I had to go home empty handed. Well today,resuming the mission to redeem myself,went back to the original liquor store with the pipes and cigars and ordered her a case of that favorite wine. Only problem was today I saw a nice Peterson Killarney 80s Bent Bulldog while I was there ordering the case. Yeah I bought it,so now I'm back to square one with needing redemption. I see a trip to the mall in my weekend forecast...

-Brian

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'd have been crucified on the first trip for not only coming back without the wine, but coming back with new briar and smoke. If I failed the second trip, I wouldn't live. I live with an emotional, ill tempered Darth Vader with brunette hair though.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Just take a lesson from the wife ;-) You buy stuff, then you put it away for a week or two. After you use it in the open and if she asks tell her you've "had that ole pipe for years dontcha recognize it"? Just how the ladies do with clothes and shoes .... ;-0

str8musicman

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Los Angeles
I try my best dread, she's more then I could ask for a wife, I never forget how lucky I am. Sounds like you're another dedicated family man, so enjoy your well deserved hobby. Cheers!

And commander bragg, that is what happens when you join the dark side!! Should have listened to Yoda after all.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm fortunate. Although I suffer from am afflicted with TAD & PAD, the War Department has SAD (shoe acquisition disorder)!
pipes-shoes-2012-450.jpg

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
So far the only thing my wife has said about my pipe collecting is "you're going to need more room" 400+ and counting. :)

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
My wife and I maintain separate finances outside of the house and bills etc. I've mentioned this on other threads, but it really is the way to go. I did get questioned last week, not for a TAD purchase, but for coming home with a couple of cases of mason jars. It was barely an interrogation, more like a "when will this end" comment. I just told her the truth, it will end when I have a few decades worth stored or prevented to buy more by "the man".
Not to be too morbid, but I also told her before that should anything happen to me...do NOT throw out the pipes and tobacco. She is typically skeptical every time I mention the value of the collection, but the stuff just does not get cheaper with age.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
My wife never wanted to combine our checking accounts. Her mother taught her "what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine."
I play along because she has no idea how much I'm buying. :wink:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Luckily my girl is one of those who's of the mindset of, "As long as the bills are paid I don't care what you spend extra money on.". She's got a huge handbag, clothing, and shoe obsession, so my pipe obsession isn't frowned upon.
Love the cartoon btw.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have a pretty understanding wife myself. Yesterday, after having discussed what we wanted for our upcoming anniversary, I went online to look at pipes and tobacco for present ideas. After checking smokingpipes.com and P&C, I found several things (imagine that). Anyway, I gave her some hints and asked when she might be ordering to which she said "I don't know", so I decided to look again. Well, while "looking" I ended up buying a Peterson and 7 tins of tobacco! She knows I bought the Peterson, but not the tobacco! Sshhh!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I think its time for a proactive strike. Come home with a nice workout outfit or Nail Salon gift certificate or something.

Aug 14, 2012
I just had a big fight with my wife about her spending on things for our new house. All I can say is "womens is crazy."

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I believe it is "womens BE crazy", Foggy. Or at least that's how they be where I come from.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
This is one reason I am not married...
That being said, my girlfriend is uber. She prefers I smoke and loves the smell of tobacco... well any non-english tobacco. lol
My GF FTW!

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
In my house, I wear the pants....
but my wife picks out and chooses which ones...

Status
Not open for further replies.