PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I just stepped outside to enjoy a bowl of PA on my porch. I did a charring light and then lit my pipe fully and started enjoying my smoke. Half way through my smoke it started to go out so I had the bright idea to blow softly to try to get it to pick back up again. I became over zealous and blew slightly harder than I thought and before I knew it hot embers were flying out te Ed of my pipe and onto my lap hand and face. I sat in amazement at my stupidity long enough for my pants to smoke and for my thumb to start to burn. I quickly put it all out and laughed at myself as I began to realize how bad my thumb actually hurts. I was wondering if anyone else has any similar newbie stories.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Don't feel bad, it happens to the most experienced of us.
However; blowing into the stem must be practiced to save that nearly "unrecoverable" ember.

It is a technique employed in slow smoking, but it requires in and out puffing through the pipe. Just puff out and in very gently, but quickly. It takes practice, but it can salvage a rapidly dying ember. You need to develop some tamping technique in concert with the recovery method.
You were on the right track.

Do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? Practice... Practice... Practice.

Good luck!

Here is the link to my slow smoke blog, and Raymond's as well (our current National Champion Slow Smoker).

Dottle Diggers, Ember Chasing and Slow Smoking

Due Diligence

rusco135

Lurker
Aug 30, 2010
The art of pipe smoking requires slow, rythmic, and controlled SUCKING on the pipe!! You need to use your tamping tool regularly to tamp the tobacco down into the heel of your pipe?! This will keep your pipe burning right down to the last bit of tobacco!! SUCK don't BLOW!! Keep your pipe cool!! Test this by holding flush against your cheek!! You should be able to keep it there without burning your skin!! Hope this helps pal?!

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
My stupid mistake sucked... I turned the pipe upside down to get the ash out and the ember fell out with it. So what did I do? I picked up the ember to put back in the pipe! Needless to say two of my fingers were out of commission for a few days!
I have learned that covering the majority of bowl and then sucking in will revive a dying ember nicely...

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Bubba. That's called "carboration".
Hey Wall, in deference to rusco135, if puffing out and in is done properly, your pipe will not heat up. He is right though; if you do so with too much enthusiasm it will get hot and you could once again shower yourself with embers.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Haha thanks guys. Your tips will help me next time I'm in that situation. I apologize for the grammatical errors on the first post as I was using my Iphone instead of a computer to post.

rusco135

Lurker
Aug 30, 2010
Yeah pstlpkr, I think that your choice of words there, "nearly unrecoverable ember" sums it up correctly!! There certainly are those times that you will need to puff out?! But carefully!!!!

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I have several shirts with small burn hole in them. Nuff said?

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
No offense, but you guys are cracking me up ... and yes, I have done the same thing before and felt like an idiot. It wasn't funny when I did it, but it was pretty comical to hear about you doing it wallbright. LOL.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
chuckw,

I have several shirts that DON'T have wholes from flying embers. The rest look like I've been hosting a moth-fest. My wife goes nuts with every new hole and I say that they lend a carefree nuance to my wardrobe. And that's how the fight started.........

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
It was really dangerous back in the day of polyester pants/shirts.
Who'd a thunk it!
Wearing petroleum based clothing and playing with fire...loads of fun!

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Most of my "ow, ow, ow!" moments have come via my matches, and not the ember itself. One time I burnt a little hole in the tip of my index finger. It was a cool night with a bit of a breeze. I was having some trouble getting the pipe lit because the match was going out. On the second to last try, I was a little careless, and struck the match with my index finger on the actual head of the match and didn't pull it away quickly. Yeah, that red stuff on the tip burns hot and fast. Don't touch it.
The weird part was my finger was hurting, but since I was out in the dark, I didn't realize the damage until I came inside and was putting my pipe away.
Simon

rlrideoutjr

Lurker
May 28, 2010
I guess my genius moment happened a couple of years ago. I was at a party with one of my Army buddies at his dad's house. His dad was an experienced pipe smoker with years upon years behind the briar. Anyway, as the party was dying down, Chuck (my friend's father) said that Shawn (my friend) told him that I smoked pipes. He asked if I had a pipe with me and I told him that I never leave home without three. So as we were sitting on the deck and enjoying a good smoke, I noticed that instead of using a tamper, Chuck just placed his thumb down in the bowl and tamped it. I thought to myself; if he can do it then I should be able to do the same thing. Well I found out very quickly that I was wrong. I burnt the tip of my thumb something awful. Of course I didn't say anything at the time. I just went on, and made sure that I used my tamper the rest of the bowl.

Now comes the most hysterical part of this story. Later that night, Shawn and I were discussing the evening while he was driving me home. I told him about his dad tamping with his thumb and my unfortunate adventure in trying the same thing. He started laughing so hard I thought we were going to wreck. I said; "What the hell is so funny?". He calmed down and said; "Brother, my dad lost the tip of his thumb in a woodworking accident a few years back, he can't feel anything in the tip of that thumb." Lesson learned....Do not, under any circumstance, stick any appendage into the bowl of a lit pipe!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I've been using my index finger of either hand as a tamper for years.

I have no problem with it, provided I don't tamp anything except the white ash.

I avoid the ember, it can be just a bit warm.

:)

Live and learn eh?, RL.

Status
Not open for further replies.