PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
You all know the tobacco. It was among the first that you all suggested I try out as both a flake and a Virginia mixture. And it is among my two favorites. Though there may be other tobaccos that I enjoy, along with Gaslight, OGS is the tobacco that if I had to be stranded on a desert island with a pipe and only one or two tobaccos - it would be there with me.
Why is it so good? Let me count the ways:

1. It lights easily

It stays lit

It has rich flavor while at the same time no bite

It begins sweet and as the bowl progresses deepens to a darker golden goodness

It's amazingly reasonably priced for such a good tobacco

I enjoyed my morning smoke so much I may smoke another bowl later on
I have a number of Virginia mixtures. But this remains my favorite so far. Of course, there are many I have not yet smoked.
Odd thing about the Stanwell Dublin I smoked with this morning: the rim looks charred, but that's actually the color the pipe arrived with around the bowl. It had been smoked once when I received it (dottle was left for me to clean in the chamber). But that black around the rim is not charring - it's the dark color that is also present in other places within the rustication. It's taking a while to break in this pipe - still waiting for cake to build up in the bowl.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have to agree with your take on OGS. Now, buy a bunch and put it away for the future -- it gets better with time.

I have one Stanwell and it's a fine pipe. Never heard a complaint about them.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
a tin of ogs always seems to be within reach of the pipestand in the mancave...it is almost foolproof.
and, as stated, it does age well.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Old grey spaghetti? Odd grumpy seniors? Olives go silly? I would imagine a newcomer to this forum would be completely lost.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I guess giving your blend an acronym shows you are kwel and hip, and part of the inner circle, but it is really confusing and a PITA to try to decode WTH is being posted.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
WTH, not to be a h8er, but IMHO, OGS isn't exactly 2d4. FWIW, 2 me it tastes like OJ.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
WTH, not to be a h8er, but IMHO, OGS isn't exactly 2d4. FWIW, 2 me it tastes like OJ.
Not sure what 2d4 is. Need to try it if it's better than OGS. What does 2d4 stand for?

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Great post Andy--I've never tried OGS but I have a tin sitting in my cupboard waiting to be opened. I also have a brand new Stanwell Dublin in the Golden Danish series. You've given me a good idea here….

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Orlik GS has been an eye opener for many of us. I haven't smoked any in months but I shall return! I remember trying blend after blend that was recommended and being disappointed. And then -- Eureka! OGS got me on the true path to pipe smoking contentment.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Great post Andy--I've never tried OGS but I have a tin sitting in my cupboard waiting to be opened. I also have a brand new Stanwell Dublin in the Golden Danish series. You've given me a good idea here…
Pipefish - just a warning that a fairly loosely packed bowl of OGS in my Stanwell Golden Danish Dublin provided me with over an hour smoke - and when I cleaned it out there was still unused tobacco at the bottom. Be prepared for a long smoke...

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
just a warning that a fairly loosely packed bowl of OGS in my Stanwell Golden Danish Dublin provided me with over an hour smoke - and when I cleaned it out there was still unused tobacco at the bottom. Be prepared for a long smoke...
Is this ever true! OGS is so easy to load and light. I just break off a bit, fold it and stuff it. Sweet smoke!

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
The thing that I've always enjoyed about OGS is the consistency from bowl to bowl and from tin to tin. You always know exactly what to expect and exactly what you will get. Its a hassle free blend. 99% of what I smoke are pressed VA's and VA/P flakes and many of these have very finicky, high maintenance tobaccos. They need to be "just right" with the moisture, packing, etc. in order to deliver. Also the flavor needs to be coaxed / extracted through very careful and mindful sipping cadence.
OGS is the exact opposive. Shove it in and light it up and its very consistent regardless of the pace you take. Its a great VA for times where I can't devote 110% of my attention to coaxing maximum flavor from my flake.
There are better flakes flavor wise for my pallete - but OGS is as well behaved and easy to smoke as anything that I've ever put in a pipe. For that reason alone - I always have it on hand, and have quite a bit in the "cellar".
James

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
OGS and Dunhill Flake are in my book the easiest, most idiot proof Virginia flakes out there. As many have stated they are low maintenance and flavorful, hard to ask anything more from a pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.