Office Tobacco Drying Off the Table Now It Seems...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
This will be just a rant. Sometimes, I hate working in an office. A few months ago, I brought into my boss's office to talk about upcoming work and then at the end, he through in that some people around me had been complaining that my phone calls were too loud and that I should probably just keep it down a bit. I have a deep voice, it's loud and carries, I know this. It's difficult to dial it back when I'm in those necessary conversations because I'm not trying to think about how loud my voice is at the time, not even yelling, just my standard calm tone, annoyed some people around me, while I was conducting a casual, run-of-the-mill phone call. Now they make me feel like I need to whisper.
NOW, the guy that sits near me told me that when I dry out my tobacco for a smoke, it bothers him and even the admin lady 20 feet away chimed in at the same time. I can't smoke in the office, but I do dry out my tobaccos on a plate in my cube. I haven't gotten the best way to do it at home figured out yet, since I have relatively higher humidity in my home, which I like to have to keep from drying out. I do understand that I don't want to force anyone to smell something they don't like. I'm here, they have to be here to to work, but it still annoys the ever loving SHIT out of me. I try to keep it to myself, because I love the aroma of it all, but it was "more than he could take today, and had to say something." So I'll just try to dry out more at home and then just bring some to the office and not even open it so he or anyone else, doesn't have to smell it. Like I said, I wouldn't want someone impressing something they think smells good on to me, when I think it smells awful, so I'll just take the hit and change what I've been doing. Even after smoking, I've heard this guy complain before because he sit behind me and can smell it, so it even makes me not want to smoke at the office at all in order to accommodate his delicate position of not liking it.
Okay rant off. Here's to hoping you have a better smoking day than me!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Geez, stop smoking stinky tobaccos.
Well, today's guest on the paper plate was LL Andullo, which I find smells incredible. That one sent him over the edge, but I kept hearing the chatter around me and my tobacco.
Have you tried something like a heat lamp to dry the tobacco at home before taking it with you to work?
Don't have one, but this will have me buying one for the home. I've tried before, but I have a cat who's curiosity should have killed it 20 times over by now. She loves to push shit around with hr paws, and the first pan of tobacco I laid out to dry, she pushed it right off the edge of the table. I'll have to come up with something, somehow.
So, you're bending over backwards to accommodate them? And what are they doing to accommodate you?
Story of my life. Never really been one to make waves. I want people to not have to feel uncomfortable around me, because then I'd be uncomfortable. Everyone's different. As I said, I could just keep doing what I'm doing and not change a thing, only to be approached by someone in management if I did. I like the people I work with, but I mean, it's not a bad smell at all. I don't think there's a tobacco out there that I would say I hate the smell of. But whatever. I'll just dry it at home and bring some in, although it almost makes me not even want to smoke at work anymore. What's the point if I have to listen to them talk about it all the time.
Just tell them that the way they smell offends you and your trying to mask the stink !
In some of their cases, that's actually true. Ah, I'll figure out something. A man that loves to smoke his pipe will always figure out a way.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Found a temporary solution. I keep a small set of jars here at the office to keep my dried smokeables in to pull from what I want, when I want. I just emptied my tin of Andullo on to the plate before he got snippy, so I've just transferred it back to the tin it came in, took it to the car, and it is now sitting on my dash drying like I wanted. The added bonus is that I might have discovered a new car smell that I will LOVE to travel in.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Drying out a tin or two at a time at home, then jarring it at the right dryness keeps it ready for months.
^^^^^^^ This is what I'll just start doing. Popping my tins and drying them out a tin at a time. Maybe buying some smaller jars to split it up into what I want to keep at home and what I want to keep at the office.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
30+ years ago I'd routinely smoke an English blend at my desk in the office and subjected my poor secretary in the next room to it. She never openly complained but perhaps I should have given her olfactory system a rest. :D

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, I get that people don't want to smell the tobacco burning on occasion, if at all. I can't stand cigarette smoke. It chokes up my airways, so I can understand. This is just tobacco from a tin...drying...I would understand if it smelled like Fido's ass, but it doesn't at all. At the same time, I can see it from their side. Oh well, like I said, I'll just start drying it out in my car on the dash until I get a better solution for drying at home. Maybe just a high shelf the cat can't reach and a tin tossed into my pie pan that I've been using. They'll really be missing out when I pick up the Holiday blends and aros that I want to try for the fall and winter. Apples and cinnamon, nutmeg and clove, it's going to smell heavenly! And they'll miss out on all that deliciousness.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Those people sound like whiners to me. Complaining about a tray with a small amount of drying tobacco 20 feet away. That is not an acceptable complaint, it's whining.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
You're different. That makes you scary and a target.
You/we should be used to it by now.
Someone send the poor fellow some Captain Black Grape to take to work.
Don't bother trying to dry it. It will still be moist when your children's children find it, after your expiration date.
On the other side of the coin, I've had to move seats due to the fragrance wearing habits of some coworkers. Thankfully, I no longer participate in the cubicle culture.
Or, as a comic once put it, "Nice cologne. Must you marinade in it?"
Lighting up a stinky load in your support!
jay-roger.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yep, I know. In today's society though, if you work in an office setting like I do, in the open, in a cube, like I do, there's no privacy, and you can't seemingly do things that make you happy, because someone else might complain about it. Office culture sucks. Well, it does in my office at least. I'm different though. If someone's loud, I put on headphones and listen to my music. Can't really do too much to eliminate smells, but I would agree, they're just whiners, but what do you do? I need to get along with them to keep working in harmony. I hate tension, so what do I do? I remove the cause of the issue. Problem solved, without tension or added stress in the working environment, which is ironically why I was using the pipe to de-stress in the first place while at work. If only I could hit the lottery, I could do what I want. Start my own carving/furniture business in a shop full of all the tools I could ever want, and smoke my pipe whenever and as often as I'd want. Alas, until that happens, I'll just keep driving Civil 3D, designing landfills for a living, putting up with the office "whiners". Actually after I was told my voice was too loud and I need to tone it down, I gave them the name of "the offendeds".

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I was drying HH Burley Flake in my office yesterday. My assistant came in and said, "what is that smell, it that hay?" I asked her if she liked the smell, she replied in the positive. Luckily, she didn't know what it was or I probably would have been given a lecture.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
These last few days I have been working with a fat guy who smells real bad. Old sweat and the sour smell from clothes that are kept in a damp place. The guy is kind and good at his work and I would never be so rude as to say anything about his smell. It is not going to kill me or harm me in any way.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well thanks Jay! We all should be used to it, but it still always sucks when you go out of your way to not offend someone with a hobby that you love and enjoy personally, only to still be offending someone.
Don't bother trying to dry it. It will still be moist when your children's children find it, after your expiration date.
It'll still be moist after we're destroyed by an asteroid and the next civilization finds it.
I can see perfume being a nice similarity to my situation, so I do understand, still doesn't make it suck any less.
Lighting up a stinky load in your support!
Well, they've all gone home, so I'm going to go and enjoy a bowl of my Andullo, like I fully planned when I brought it this morning.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I am like you in that I hate tension. I also hate confrontations. But I have realized that if you always shy away and let everyone else have it their way, you will end up with a lot of stress and a very unpleasant feeling of being pushed around. Working for a few years as a bartender in some shady bars taught me the importance of drawing a line and sometimes take a stand. You can't always bend over.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Hear, hear, Workman; I couldn't have put it better myself.
I can see where you're coming from CCW, I'm not the confrontational type either. Coming from a Christian background, I know about 'blessed be the peace-makers' —heck, I was hesitant to reply like I did in my first post here, but the thing that really irritated me is that now they're (as I understood it) are even trying to control what you do on your own free time (such as a smoke at lunch or a smoke break —I'm assuming you're not smoking inside the office) —"help! help! He smells of tobacco! I'm dying from second-hand smoke here!!". I also know about turning the other cheek, but even one priest once said there are times when we just must not do that, but stamp our foot down.

Status
Not open for further replies.