PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like it! Making the little ones is fun!
img_20130822_153444-600x450.jpg

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Schwing! some of the best work I've seen from you. I feel lime I've seen this pipe before. Is it modeled after a Herbaugh?
I hope your open to some criticism and these are just my opinions. The stem flares a bit too much and seems to take away from restraint shown the stummel. The button is a bit too high and thick. The bowl could use a bit of cant on the leading edge. I think it's a bitchin pipe as is but the points above would get it on spc's front page imo.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Thanks guys!

Didimauw- everything I make except for the Chicago Show are commissions. So this was spoken for before I even started.
Bigpond- criticism is always welcome as it helps me look at thing differently to better myself moving forward. The flare may look visually drastic but it's needed because of the small size of the pipe. If it didn't flare, you'd get maybe one tooth on it. Many people say that my buttons look too tall and thick. But rest assured I try them for fitment throughout the process. My customers sometimes have said the same and I simply tell them to try it and if they don't like it to send it back and I can take more off and I'll even pay for shipping both ways. All of those said customers have commented back that even though it looks thicker and taller than others pipes, they are super comfortable and there is no worry about the pipe falling out of the teeth when dangling. So because over the course of developing my skills, I won't change how I do it until someone that actually tries one of my pipes has negative feedback about it. Half of my work is from repeat customers, most are experience pipe smokers, so I must be doing something right. I definitely agree with you that a forward cant would really set this thing off nicely. I focused so much time into the shank that I was just happy I got it to where it is without making any fatal mistakes. I'll leave SPC to the artisans and big boys, I don't believe my humble hobby pipes deserve to be next to the big boys work.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The big boys started out as hobbiests too quite likely. Damn fine work Adam. :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a great pipe. I think some of the unusual inventive shapes you've done come back to inform this more classic shape in terms of balance and proportion.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I love it and I can't wait to smoke it! :puffy:
Thanks Adam.
I also can't wait until my name comes up again on your list. I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of a danish inspired long shank acorn or fig.

Status
Not open for further replies.