PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Four months after popping the lid, a 2011 tin of Dark Star has now transformed into bliss.
The lyrics to a song of the same name seem to fit my experience last night under the stars:
Dark Star crashes

pouring its light

into ashes
Reason tatters

the forces tear loose

from the axis
Searchlight casting

for faults in the

clouds of delusion
Shall we go,

you and I

while we can?

Through the transitive

nightfall of diamonds

Yep ... it was that good! :)

Dec 24, 2012
I have a bunch of the DS put away and opened my first tin several months ago. This stuff was so hard to light I thought I was smoking asbestos. Does it get easier to light? I need to revisit that open tin.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Peck, if it's been several months I would try it again.
Even after 4 months open here in Arid-zona, I still let it dry a couple of hours after cube cutting it.
Pretty much a gravity pack with light tamps between ignition attempts. :)

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Weirdly, I seem to have no trouble keeping Dark Star lit. I let it dry out for a few hours and then rub it out fully. Gravity pack, a few charring lights, and then I'm off.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I really like the taste & aroma of McC's Dark Star, but also find it absolutely the most difficult pipe tobacco to spark up & keep lit that I've ever tried. I've tried every sort of prep, drying, packing, tamping etc. to little avail. I found that cutting it up into tiny cubes, using a gravity pack, & tamping only to keep the burn even works best, but the darn stuff is like asbestos in its lack of ability to smolder. I have a few tins from 2002 or 2003 stashed in the cellar. Maybe I should give it another go, but while Dark Star tastes & smells great, it's just too high maintenance. Anybody wanna trade?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I found that cutting it up into tiny cubes, using a gravity pack, & tamping only to keep the burn even works best
Definitely ... and that's after sitting in the tin, seal popped, and waiting months first.

It undergoes a transformation over time where the tin note mellows and the flavor deepens.
Anybody wanna trade?
Definitely ... PM sent.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
The first bowl of Dark Star seemed a little harsher than expected. I aged it in a jar for a year and it mellowed out nicely.
When it comes to "wetter" flake tobacco I cube cut about six planks and leave them on a glass dish over night. Then into an empty tin for a couple days letting the moisture even out. Then it's back on the plate for another night to finish the drying. Usually it only takes one round but some SG's can take a few. Then you have a tin of perfectly dried cubes to "tap" fill your bowls. The key is to get the cubes to an even dryness without turning to dust and losing all the flavor.
Craig

Dark Star -> Space
I like to grind mine in an old coffee grinder. Just a few clicks, you don't have to powder it. But, if I am out and about, I will cube cut it as small as I can. It does need to dry quite a bit before it burns well. But, it's worth it. It's an excellent flavor.

With my last tin, I mixed the last half with Christmas Cheer for an even more amazing smoke.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Dark Star was responsible for what I consider the stupidest moment of my young piping career. It was the first flake I tried, which was probably not wise from the get-go. I attempted 5 times to get that crap lit, not knowing anything about proper drying or preparation, also not knowing that DS isn't a beginner flake in the first place. So I suffered through those 5 bowls, got PO'd and in frustration flushed the entire remains of the tin down the thunderjug... :oops:
I'll give it another try, but not soon - I still suck at flakes. :)

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I am sure you guys are sick of this story but I think all of the McC Personal Reserve tobaccos need to be opened and sit in the tin for no less than six moths. I bought a tin of SJW because Samcoffeeman, who is a member of my pipe club, swears by it. I cracked the tin and tried to smoke it....fail. A few weeks later I rubbed some out and let it sit for an hour....fail. He then told me he rubs out the whole tin when he pops it and let's it sit. I lost my patience and pushed it to the back of the cellar. About 7 months later when I was all caught up in my flake acquisition I saw it in the back. I figured what the hell. I rubbed out a bowls worth ams let it sit for 30 min. I fired it up...... HEAVEN. For whatever reason it just needs to be popped and ignored for a while. I bought 4 tins in May, popped one, rubbed out about 5 bowls worth and put it back in, and plan on smoking some in November.
Just my .02 but it worked for me.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Let the char light of the evening

Be the first thing that you think of

When you open up your tin and see me dark star
:rofl: I love that song, too. The other lyrics just seemed more fitting at the time.
With my last tin, I mixed the last half with Christmas Cheer for an even more amazing smoke.
I'm finding most of the McClellands to be quite good together. Recently, I mixed #2015 with CC and loved it!
...got PO'd and in frustration flushed the entire remains of the tin down the thunderjug
I would have cried like it was my first dead goldfish! :mrgreen:
I bought 4 tins in May, popped one, rubbed out about 5 bowls worth and put it back in, and plan on smoking some in November.
Great plan! The bottom line to this story is that McC's need LOTS of time to breathe once opened

and that your patience will be rewarded with a fantastic smoke.

Back when I was sucking down Camels, I would have thought you were joking if you told me that you had to open a pack and let it breath for six months before smoking it. Now, I am laying out my flakes for a day on a piece of leather at night and delicately folding them for the day in the morning. And, stacks of cardboard boxes and Styrofoam coolers full of mason jars and tins. Who'd a thunk it?

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Weird. Straight out of the tin I rub out the DS flakes and smoke them. It takes 3-4 lights to get it going, but once it starts - I never have to relight.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think those who smoke, or attempt the same, DS as the real pro's. It seems like such a finicky customer. I don't have the patience.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
My experience with Dark Stare was very similar to most of you. I live in a high humidity area and even though I left my jar of Dark Star open for a few days after opening the tin it was still difficult to light. This tobacco is great stuff and later after leaving it jarred for a few months it was easier to keep lit. To be honest, this Dark Star is too munch trouble and there are many great tobacco out there are easy to smoke since I have lost patience with Dark Star.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
It's one of my favorites for sure! But yes it can be hard to light, could bite if not respected... but in my opinion has a flavor that is worth all the trouble.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
drrock and I struck a trade and some 2002 DS is on it's way ... can't wait!
I still have a couple tins of the 2011 so those will move to the back.
I'll never say that it's an easy blend or at times not frustrating, but when it's right ... :worship:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Another Ode to Dark Star (based upon some comments in this thread):
Oh tin of Dark Star here's my plight

I find your contents resist light

It seems asbestos in my bowl

As if my flame meets some black hole

These posts I read and firm believe

Thy proposition - love or leave

adam12

May 16, 2011
Enough about the tobacco, we all know it's good, let's talk about the song!
I saw them play it in the Hampton Coliseum in 89 as the warlocks... We went absolutely crazy... Then I think they did it again the following summer in RFK in DC? Of course I can't remember ...
But this is my absolute favorite, from the closing of the Winterland, 430 in the morning!!!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mBTH6HmcJzg

Status
Not open for further replies.