PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinosam

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Hail fellows, I have been trying new tobaccos lately and ordered a small bag of Gawith and Hoggarth's Louisiana Perique Flake. It arrived in the bag, in the form of several sheets, which I gather is the usual way. It was quite moist, and smelled reminiscent of beef jerky, leather, and pine-tar soap, which I found appealing. I decided it was far too wet in the bag to be smoked like that, so I took some of the strips of tobacco, dried them on a piece of white paper underneath an incandescent desk lamp for about 15 minutes until they were drier, then crumbled them up and put them in a glass jar. Two days later I removed them from the jar and dried the loose, crumbled up tobacco pieces again under the lamp for around the same amount of time, then back into the (airtight) jar for the night.
I smoked it yesterday and found the taste to be odd. I AM NEW TO PERIQUE TOBACCO AND DON'T KNOW HOW it is *SUPPOSED* to taste like, so bear this in mind. When I smoked it, I did not detect any of the peppery, leathery, beef jerky-like taste I smelled in the bag. Rather the taste was...hard to describe, but the best I could do is to say it was "sweet and salty", almost like I remember Play-Doh tasting when I was a young child and would chew on it. It had a faint cigar-like taste to it as well. It wasn't necessarily BAD, but just unlike any pipe tobacco I've ever smoked. Is this how it is supposed to taste? Did I dry it too much?

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
Try some Escudo or Saint James flake. These are both well regarded blends. If what you tried is significantly different then it is possible some additive was present. Lakeland blends are known for their perfume or flower like odors.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Gawith & Hoggarth's Louisiana Perique Flake has a slight Lakeland scent. I don't know if that is intentional since it is

very gentle, and it may have merely picked up the scent because it was processed on the same equipment as their fully

scented blends. IMO, this is why my batch of G&H's Bright CR Flake possesses a touch of that soapy flavor too.
Sam Gawith's St. James Flake is a Virginia/Perique blend without such distractions. Many smokers consider it their

favorite VaPer blend. But there are so many Perique blends that it's hard to recommend just one that typifies the Perique taste.

McClelland says it's somewhere between earthy, musty mushrooms and stewed fruit. That's pretty accurate, but not very

helpful because it's hard to imagine a taste.
Check out Russ Ouellette's article, Passionate About Perique and a PM.com feature article, The Mystique Of Perique.
Most importantly, read reviews and sample as many different Perique blends as you can afford to buy. You will soon learn

to identify the characteristic taste they usually have in common. A good place to start is Hearth & Home's Louisiana Red for spiciness

or Anniversary Kake for sweetness. To experience Perique's fruity side, try 4noggins' Prairie Wind -- IMO a top notch smoke.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
In deference to Cortez, I found that Captain Earle's honor blend has the scent of stewed prunes often described of Perique blends, and has an awesome taste. Hearth and Home Anniversary Kake (one of Russ's blends) is also very good, and I have enjoyed another Hearth and Home Blend, Rolando's own, which also has a wonderful Perique flavor. I sampled about 30 Perique blends before deciding which ones taste best for me, and those I had to experiment with different pipes to find the right combo. Part of the fun was in the research!

Don't stop at one, smoke as many as you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.