PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Whenever I go on hikes, I tend to collect burls to whittle. I have a bunch of oak burls and was wondering, would they make a good pipe?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
As a turner, there are lots of things I would like to do with oak burl, but pipes are not on the list. From what I have heard / read, they do not give a good taste to the tobacco.
Winton

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
All these burls are old and dried out. The ones I'm looking to carve are quite old and off dead trees, so there's no moisture in them whatsoever.

Jul 12, 2011
I like make'in my practice pipe carves out of Apricot and Olive woods, so far they have all been fantastic smokers for me, even for practice pipes...once the bowl is burned up it smokes just like any other pipe I have made from Briar and I don't feel bad about chuck'in a $4. block of it into the woods...followed by some heavy words :puffy:
Here is my Olive wood Jaw Breaker w/better stem on her...smoke'in up some nice H&H Classic Burley Kake

photo-69-600x448.jpg

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Pretty beefy looking pipe! Thanks for sharing! I may need to pick your brain on setting the stem...I currently have the bowl carved out, but haven't drilled the shank as I wasn't sure what to use / how do do it. I've been carving / shaping by hand, and have a dremel for sanding.

Jul 12, 2011
@cthulhu- Thanks brah, this one is a monster at 4.1oz, a 2-3/4" depth on a 1" tobacco chamber...but a damn good smoker so far for a practice pipe.
BTW: Our resident pipe-master Uncle A sent me this link (thanks Unc) when I was start'in out http://www.pfeifenfreun.de/bastel/bohren/index_e.html
I have done this Olive wood jaw breaker all freehand, even drill'in , which I have seen some masters do and think nothing of it, for me it is a two-three block/kill process at this point :-( other pipe-masters have also given me this advice on drill'in order; Always drill the mortise than airhole than tobacco chamber last in that order, so I listen...you can adjust your depth as you go along so they meet perfect depth wise :puffy:

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
That makes a lot of sense and thanks for sharing the link! Unfortunately, my current project has the tobac chamber already done. I'll remember this on my next one.

waywardverve

Lurker
Sep 24, 2013
I have made 3 pipes from oak (from a single 10" branch)... not even burl :P and they smoke well!!

TBH as a newbie i haven't actually smoked briar so I can't compare
I've done all mine freehand with common houshold drillbits.
As for drilling order I have been drilling draft first followed by the Chamber. As I finished all three bowls before planning stems I drilled the mortis' last.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I've owned a couple of oak pipes, and have had no problems with the way they smoke. They do tend to colour a bit irregularly with use, and this at first scared the hell out of me, as I thought a burnout was occurring. But it's just a matter of colouring; no burnouts yet! And no unpleasant taste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
4dot, what was the source of your oak pipes? Has oak been used from time to time in the past for commercially

produced pipes, or is it strictly an artisan material? I have two Mountain Laurel pipes by an artisan carver, who has

carried over use of Mountain Laurel from its use during World War II when briar was unavailable. These pipes smoke

well and look very briar-like. It's apparently not that available, and most of this carver's work is now in briar.
The oak pipe project sounds like a good one, if the bad taste can be exorcised, or is already gone from drying and aging.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"4dot, what was the source of your oak pipes?"
Both oak pipes are from Poland: one from Mr Brog, and the other from a manufacturer whose name I don't recall - and it is unmarked other than the shape number.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
I too have a Mr. Brig oak wood pipe. It is called the Vine no. 28. It is made from oak wine barrels. I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.