O look here, Spanish nut, what should i do with it...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakrin

Lurker
Mar 10, 2015
I found a marvellous textured wood piece that is been drying for some years now... then i got this flash off insanity and am going make a pipe out off it. NOW, im interested in some dimensions for two particular shapes, ball and bent apple. I need some instructions

- bowl wall thickness

- chamber bore diameter and depth

- draught hole diameter

- shank and stem length
And some general info how some dimensions and proportions influence the experience and flavour. If there is a page containing such info i will be glad to heed your advice as senior members, with bigger expertise in the matter at hand.

As for how will i make it happen, i will share some pics as soon as i start the work. ;-)

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Before you get too wrapped up in a project you need to find out if the wood you have is suitable for pipe-making. Many wood species contain toxins that may not be important in ordinary woodworking but can be a big problem when the wood is heated to several hundred degrees.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've worked with a lot of exotic woods but I've never heard of Spanish nut? Either way you had best first do some research on it as many woods are toxic. As for specific information on pipe making you would be better served on pipemakers forum.

sakrin

Lurker
Mar 10, 2015
I am very gratefull for your advices, and information provided. I was refering to walnut heartwood, specific to a breed that is from spain, and has a purple-ish colour. I really did not know about above mentioned toxicity, and im happy to avoid the choking to death part from my first handmade pipe. Gues the joke is on me, nevertheless its gona be a hell off a decoration. :D

As for not getting to wrapped, its kind of late for that :oops:. Started a mockup from a wild pear stump that i found lying on the floor of the workshop. Had allready planed to make some custom shaping drill tools, so that i do not need to carve with chisels and carving knifes.

pipe-start.jpg

Has a magnificent grain texture, even if its tad bit eaten by parasites. Im gona finish this tomorow if i can spare a hour or two.

Now, im off to learn about wood toxicity, and maybe one of this days go scullking the woods for some briar( never thought that thorny sob is good for anything, except jam), if everything that i have proves to be poisonous.

Again, thank you for your time, cheers

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Briar, as it's referred to by us pipe smokers is the burl of the White Heath Tree that grows only in some rugged outcroppings along much of the Mediterranean. It's a very fire retardent wood which is only one of its many attributes as it relates to pipe making. There are alternative woods such as Pear and Mulberry that have been made into pipes but those woods are still very much a minority in the pipe world.

Jan 8, 2013
+100 what Settersbrace said. Briar is from the White Heath (Erica arborea) not to be confused with the thorny briar patch wood. Before you make a pipe with any kind of wood, do your research on toxicity, and fire resistance. You don't want to put fire to something that's going to burst into flame in your face, or make you seriously ill from the toxic fumes.

sakrin

Lurker
Mar 10, 2015
I pulled a whole night reseach session, and i now know a loot more, again thanks for your time and patience. I will be carefull.

Maybe i will get in touch with my wood supplier, and goad him in getting some materials for me, i owe him money still for the last shipment, LOL.

Now im off to harase the pipe makers forum member for a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.