PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I come back for a bowl of 3 nuns every six months or so because i really like the flavor, but I have not found a way to smoke it without that sharp bite kind of thing happening...I have tried rubbing it out, leaving it in slices, different pipes, drying it out etc etc. If I was not into the flavor I could just pass it on and leave it alone, but I really like it. This morning's bowl was in a churchwarden, which i think helped, and i did loose bottom and top with 2 or 3 coins in the middle, barely tamped. It smoked down to the cliche 'fine white ash' which is just great but I still got that bite. The bottom third was the smoothest so I think i will rub the whole lot out before packing next time, and maybe pick up a long stem for one of my cobs...

Any suggestions on method for these virtuous ladies? Is it easier for you Catholics?

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I agree with smorg draw slow and give it time between draws. I also like to drink tea while I smoke my pipe ( I know thats not what smorg meant) but I think it helps.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Sipping the smoke ought to work. And pack the tobacco in the bowl a little loosely.

kozzman555

Lurker
Oct 21, 2014
If all else fails, try using a pipe with a longer stem, say a churchwarden. Should help give the smoke a little longer to cool before it gets to you. Also, try running a pipe cleaner through your stem to soak up any extra moisture more often than you usually do. Seems to help me.

Just buy Newminster No. 403 Superior Round Slices instead. I find it very similar in flavor, but smoother smoking with more of the good stuff and less of the harshness I get at the bottom of the bowl of the Nuns. Plus, it's cheaper, win-win. I'll take one oz of slices over two tins of the Nuns any day.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
thanks for the blend recommend cosmic, i will give it a try for sure, if the flavour profile is similiar and it smokes well then i can quite happily make that first tin of 3 nuns my last.
isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.