PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I was thinking about that today. I was going to pack a pipe with my tobacco and then empty the bowl unto a scale then do the math. I think it also depends on the cut of the tobacco as well.
I filled a Jobey pipe with a 13/16" bowl diameter as I usually do. I used Old Red tobacco. I emptied the bowl onto a scale and the scale said it was .1.
1 ounce is 28.375 grams. So .1 would be 2.8375. That = 10 bowls.
Bowl diameter and depth must be taken in consideration. So, this number is varied depending on volume.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd say the average bowl is around three grams, so a guess of ten bowls in an ounce is probably pretty close. All depends on bowl size, packing method, cut, etc. etc. etc.

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
Thank you gentlemen. I think we will call it between 8 & 10 bowls/oz.

I knew someone had some numbers, and sure enough there were quite a few

who had done some research / calculations and it all tends to agree. We

all need to get a life I think! However, thank you all again, it is a

pleasure to have such company.
:puffpipe:

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
All of you are wrong. The answer to the original post, is one. The grammar is a little off, but once means one time.
Number of Smokes in an Once.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Had the scale out yesterday weighing some of my pipes, well one thing lead to another and yes, 3 to 4 grams for an average tobacco in an average pipe. I hate being average :(

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
You guys are really good. Two months ago for a three tin run I kept count of the number of bowls from each tin (sticky note on the top, marked for each smoke). Average was just a hair over 17.5 with 1.76 ounce/50 Gr tins.
Exactly 10 per ounce (each smoked at most, once)

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
If its 10 bowls to an ounce, I smoke 1 bowl a day, then a pound of tobacco would last me 160 days.
I only need 171 pounds of tobacco to last me to 100 years of age.
Totally do-able. 8)
Probably should make it 350 pounds just in case though.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
1 oz. = 28.375 grams divided by 3 ( 3 grams per bowl ) = 9.45 ( 10 ) bowls in an oz.
One pound = 453.6 grams. Using an average of 3 grams/bowl, the pound translates into 151.2 bowls.

At 4-6 bowls/ day, it takes me 37.9 - 25.3 days to schmoke a pound of tobaccy. 8)
With that average, one pound per month or average 12 pounds per year. Hmmmmmm, I need to buy some more. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.