PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Uh, who is it? And in what drama? Young actors can be, well, irritating. Dave Letterman

had fits about Leo DeCaprio when he was a very young leading man, annoyed the hell out

of Dave. (Sometimes Dave annoys the hell out of me, but never mind.) Now Leo has gone

on to play J. Edgar Hoover and various villains, and has sometimes done a pretty good job.

At least he's not annoying anyone with his Titanic persona, except maybe when the movie

is re-run. I'm glad no one took a photo of me at age seven lighting up my buddy's dad's

Lucky Strikes he pilfered for us to smoke. I bet I was an annoying looking little dude.

This kid looks like he's late home for supper, and boy, is Mom going to be mad.

Dec 24, 2012
Jack Gleeson, who plays Joffrey on GoT, is apparently an incredibly nice guy from all I have heard. He was born and lives in Dublin and is studying theology and philosophy at Trinity College in Dublin. I had read that he is now retired from acting after his stint on GoT has concluded and he has stated that he likely wants to pursue a career as an academic in the field of theology when his studies are completed. He does smoke a pipe. A buddy of mine who lives in Dublin was out walking with his girlfriend and she saw Jack walking along and smoking his pipe. Jack posed for a picture with my friend's girlfriend, although he put the pipe in his pocket for the picture. I asked my friend what type of pipe Jack was smoking and he told me he had no idea (he himself is not a pipe smoker).
I haven't seen that picture above before but it looks like a Pete system that Jack was smoking on the set. His character on the show does not smoke a pipe.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
This is an offscreen photo of Jack Gleeson who played the evil bastard King Joffrey on HBO's Game of Thrones. Nobody in the show smokes, but apparently he does offscreen. He is 22 but the character he portrayed was supposed to be around 16 or so.
Edit: and Peck beat me to it. Nice little story though.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
If you have ever seen the show, you would understand the concern with that character being linked to pipe smoking. In my opinion, he has to play one of the most hated characters in fiction. Just my two cents.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I was kidding all the way around. I actually think its cool a popular young dude is a pipe smoker. However he plays, fabulously, I might add, the most hated character on television.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"In my opinion, he has to play one of the most hated characters in fiction."
Not just your opinion! From what I've heard, the Joffrey character was universally -- and rightfully, I think -- despised.
If you haven't seen Game of Thrones (I haven't gotten to him in the books, yet, so I don't know how the portrayal compares), Joffrey is the spoiled, unbelievably cruel offspring of an incestuous union. Won't say more, lest I spoil something for future viewers.
Bob

Dec 24, 2012
He is hated, but that just shows what a great actor he is. The fact that he is a theology scholar in real like makes that ironic I grant you. I imagine he must be nervous that people will confuse the character he plays with the person. I know cigrmaster has experienced this. On the forum he plays the role of the humourless imp, a boring troglodyte produced from the ungodly interaction of rancid genes and broken chromosomes - a man with no soul, no inner convictions, and with all the integrity of your average hyena. I don't know for sure, but I have to believe he is different in real life.

I loved watching him die, and I usually don't.
My biggest GOT concern is that they are moving so fast that they'll run out of books before the dragon strumpet kills off all of the Lannisters. It seems to take George RR Martin six or more years to finish a book, and in his last book he keeps us hanging on the imp and the strumpet. :puffy:

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I met him at a party once and honestly - and I pride myself on my misanthropy, so this is saying a lot - he's a really nice, down-to-earth fellow. Smart too. Didn't know he smokes a pipe.

Aug 14, 2012
I sure was relieved when his character was murdered. Now that you mention it nobody on Game of Thrones smokes anything.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Theology student? Pipe smoker? Peterson lover? Dublin native?
I like him. He was WAAAY to good at his role in GoT though. Silly as it is, I kind of hope I run into him during my stay in Dublin now. That would be a hell of a story.
Always cool to see young pipers, especially famous ones!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A good movie/TV villain is a fine creation. As the work of Jack Nicholson, James Cagney, Orson Wells and others

attest.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Speaking of Jack Nicholson, BEST Joker ever! Long live Joker! At least his version anyway.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
From what i have noticed and other movie buffs as well, actors tend to play parts opposite of their personality very well. Jack being one of the most hated characters of all current shows. And David Tennant plays crazy characters very well but is an all round great person to be around.(Tennant played a character in harry potter and was the tenth doctor who)

Status
Not open for further replies.