PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I assume to any man it's the same...you dont screw with my family! To a waterfowl hunting family, the labrador retriever that sits in the blind with them, eats breakfast with them, and is a crucial part of the tradition of waterfowling, is part of the family. This is her, Chamois (shammy)
SSPX0016.jpg

I've been talking to my wife about getting another dog soon because chamois is 9 1/2 now and I'm afraid the cold weather will bother her joints soon. last week I found a craigslist add for a black lab with papers and a hunting bloodline, so I got him, hes named Briar. Tonite my landlord decides that theres a strict 2 pet policy in their houses and either my kids cat (which lives outside only) or one of my dogs has to go or I have to put up a $500 non refundable deposit!!!

Since we moved there 2 months ago, there has been a minor problem with the septic system, I've politely asked for it to be fixed but it hasn't yet. I dont feel bad for calling the police chief in our comunity (who happens to be a friend of mine) and requesting a call be placed informing the bastard that he has 24 hrs to remedy the problem or the health dept. would be called. Grinders for aerobic septic systems arent cheap...niether is a potential duck dog.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
If it's not in a lease or rent agreement I don't know how he can enforce that limit. Being a hunter myself I can understand your reasoning for wanting another dog. Good luck in getting your wishes.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If there is a clause in the lease, then it is what it is. If not, then you are not obligated to pay. The landlord is required to keep permanent fixtures in working order. Is check the law but not fixing the septic system could be a breach of lease on his part. I'm a landlord BTW, so I know a little about it.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
My father and i used to own a couple of rentals. If it does not state in the lease EXACTLY all the things he is trying to enforce then you have nothing to worry about. If i were you, i would just stick the cat bowls outside and call the cat a stray that you feed. You catch more flies with sugar than vinegar. As for the septic system, that can effect you and your families health. Don't throw it in his face, but politely point out that the cat is a stray and follow it with something about him fixing the septic system. If you are face to face, which i would suggest, do it with a smile on your face while you shake his hand... I believe he will getthe point, and you will win.. just a thought:) good luck chris...

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
OK #1. I tried nice with a smile for 3 weeks but now I have a puddle in my back yard #2 its in the freaking lease #3 I'm holding out now for the whole breach of lease that baron referred to. And I told him 24 hrs so I'll honor that, but 7:00 pm tomorrow if its not fixed, the gloves are off.

All else fails, I'm not putting up another deposit so...anyone want a dog?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Sorry to hear that Chris. Sometimes you can work with the landlord on prices. Maybe ask him that since you had such a problem with the septic tank maybe he can cut you a break and give you a discount on the pet deposit or something.

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
Hey Chris, mrenglish may be on to something if your daughter's cat lives outside. Unless you already declared the cat on the lease already. Hope things work out buddy. $500 is a lot of money but the new dog seems even more valuable and it is a deposit after all maybe the landlord will spread out the deposit payments? Doesn't hurt to ask the guy to be flexible considering the septic tank issue is ongoing and not remedied yet. :puffpipe:

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
What a bad landlord, quibbles about one too many pets and violates their terms of agreement at the same time... I'd tell the landlord to either put up with the extra pet or to give me my 30 day notice and see what he or she does.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
My parents used to rent houses, you should see the phone book worth of papers they made you signed! As is the law they spelt everything out that they wanted to enforce, if your landlord didn't do the same well stinks for him. If he did write it down well, stinks for you :/ I do understand his reasoning though, I have spent plenty of summers replacing carpets because of poorly kept animals in rental homes..

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
The fact that it's non refundable is redicilous. In the rental I own there is an additional deposit for pets, but is refundable assuming the house isn't destroyed due to the pet.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
That makes sense...perfectly good sense. He's an outside dog, really still a puppy (a 50 lb puppy) so he wouldn't be in the house for quite a long time anyway. Fact is I've made several improvements to the house, minor ones for the most part, my yellow lab pictured above does live inside except when we're all in school and work and I payed the deposit for her. I guess I thought that deposit covered any pet. I understand there has to be a limit to everything, if not someone will abuse you, I guess its mostly the way things are being handled. This is the first time I've ever rented, but when our house sold I wasn't, and still am not sure, if I'll continue in Dallas after this year or be moved, so didn't want to many strings. I'm afraid I'll regret that decision.

I had a brief discussion with him this morning, and was told all about the crappy tenants he's had and how he works to keep top quality houses, for the money, and it is nice, has a couple issues (septic) but he said that's on the books for today. So we'll see.

I also realize I can tell him all day what a great guy I am, but that doesn't mean anything. And he pointed that out. So I reminded him the same about himself. So far my record with him is better than his with me.

I also realize that, in the grand scheme of things, I'm being slightly petty, but if I don't set some limits myself, he's gonna come storming across himself.

Oh well, life goes on. Ill find briar a new home, continue to hunt chamois, mostly only early season, and everything will work out.

some folks just get to me sometimes.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Oh, i forget to add that the smile was a sh!t eating grin :twisted: I figured that it wasn't in the lease and you had him by the balls chris. Eff man, that really sucks :( Can't you say that the cat is not actually a pet since it stays outside? that just bites a55... Eff that guy man.. He is just a heartless dickhead... I know rules are rules, but he isn't holding up his end of the deal by not getting you septic system in check. You are definitely handeling it well...

Status
Not open for further replies.