PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpetboy

Lurker
Jun 15, 2011
I was in Rome doing a concert tour a few weeks ago, and as a big fan of Castello, decided to seek out the Novelli shop there. I was greeted by Marco who I recognized from the Chicago show as well as a colleague, who patiently and enthusiastically showed me their entire stock of Castellos, some 25 drawers worth of Sea Rocks right through to Great Line Fiammatas and Special Editions. I was like a kid in the world's best toy store! Needless to say, about some 90 minutes later after lots of deliberation I had selected two magnificent pieces-- a Great Line "Castello" and a Collection Billiard. I was even encouraged to test the draw and even look in the mirror! They gave me a gorgeous Castello bone tamper as a gift and wrote out a tax- exemption form, and I left feeling a little broke but very happy! I do realize this is a rarified treat for any pipe enthusiast and it probably won't be repeated for a long time, if ever.

If your travels take you to Rome, I heartily recommend a visit. The pipes are works of art and you can sense the passion behind every one. I know many Castellos abound on ebay and many online dealers, but there is nothing quite like being near the source. The only place closer would be the factory itself. Maybe next time....

trumpetboy

Lurker
Jun 15, 2011
This time, I was part of a choral and brass group who performed concerts in Assisi, St. Peters at the Vatican and St. Ignatius in Rome for the 2013 Sacred Music Festival. I'll get some pics up of these pipes soon! I just sat down and smoked the Great Line for the first time-- about ninety minutes worth and the bowl was only 3/4 full of Captain Earle's Private Stock-- fantastic first run!

I also scored some great tobacco from Hans Wiedermann at HU and some My Own Mixtures from Poul Olsen while in Germany and Denmark, but that's another post!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Trumpetboy, There are a lot of ways to post- A couple of threads discuss it on the forum- I use tinypic.com- works fine from computer or iPad

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for sharing that - I am plenty jealous, but sounds like a great experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.