Tags:  No tags yet. 

The Perfect Experience

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by easterntraveler
  • Latest reply from peckinpahhombre
  1. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Login to Send PM

So I’m standing there with regret looking into my desk cupboard at my stash. Though I only get to smoke my pipe about twice a week I feel I’m going to win at least one round soon. Like any beginner I grab my pipe and I sit down to begin packing. Everything bad is going through my head. Am I going to pack too much or too little? Am I even doing this right? I have my doubts but I am going to press on. Right before I begin packing I look up to my open cupboard and see my Estate Ser Jacopo (Bulldog) that I just recently bought but am to afraid to take out of the box. I think if I do this right it has to be with Mr. Jacopo. I reach for the beautiful bulldog and now I’m really nervous. I pack my bowl the whole time going through my head baby, woman, man. I say out loud just as long as I do not damage this pipe I will chalk this up as a win. Damn! I cannot find my lighter. I really do not want to do this with a match but I have no choice. I load pipesmagazine forum and look up match techniques and watch a quick youtube video. I am going to F*ck this up I already know.
    I get out to my garage strike the match and take deep breath. Puff Puff get a good char. Tamp, Tamp not to hard not to soft. I probably did this wrong but I’m committed strike my second match, the cherry lights really nice. Tamp Tamp. Nice smooth puffing. Thirty minutes later I taste things in the tobacco I have not before and I also realize I haven’t been focusing on what I am doing. I am just doing it right. An hour in just tamping no relights just tamping, shortly after it dies I know I can relight this and keep going but I do not and that’s ok because I won. I would like to thank all of you for your help. This will be a memorable day.

Because straight is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few be there that find it.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats! I've had a few great moments, but not one quite as perfect as that. I'm enjoying the ride though!

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I almost always use matches. but it's all personal preference. I'm glad you had a good smoke.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. redbeard

redbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good to hear!! People here have helped me as well, great bunch of guys, a few women

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What tobacco did this perfect experience happen with?

Mine happened with G.L. Pease's Jackknife Plug.

It was magic.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cool Non-pipers really don't understand what a fabulous experience a simple bowl of good tobacco can be when everything is in the + column.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Eastern, thanks for sharing that well-written, heartfelt experience. Yours is one every new puffer can relate to and something all of us can appreciate and share in your success -- well done!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. dottle

dottle

Login to Send PM

Gotta luv it when that happens!

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. morton

morton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know when I've had one of those perfect pipe moments when I go to relight my pipe for the first time since true light and realize its nearly 45 minutes later and its out because there's nothing left to burn. I think at times that a lot of pipe smokers (me included) are trying so hard to have that "perfect smoke" that they forget to relax and actually have it. My best smokes usually happen without trying at all. I don't know if anyone remembers Charlie Papazian of homebrewing fame but his mantra for homebrewing was, "Relax, don't worry. Have a homebrew!." I've tried to adopt that for pipe smoking. I'm not smoking any better but its nice being half drunk all the time.

Be careful what you wish for, as you just might get it.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Great story, glad you shared and had a memorable smoke!

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good on you. I was on the backside of a lagoon, on a damp fall day when I had the PERFECT bowl of Haddo's Delight. I still remember it and smile when I pass that park.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great story. Going to agree with most when I say the best smoke is when you 'let it be' and just enjoy each moment. The flavor, the aroma, the soft wisps of smoke coming out of the bowl and into your nostrils.

Really different experience than when smoking cigars.

Allan

Allan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats on your experience, you are on your way.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nicely done.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lestrout, mustanggt, kanada, dmcmtk, escioe, pitchfork, freakiefrog, daimyo, fordm60, rsuninv, mso489, tarheel1