PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
So I’m standing there with regret looking into my desk cupboard at my stash. Though I only get to smoke my pipe about twice a week I feel I’m going to win at least one round soon. Like any beginner I grab my pipe and I sit down to begin packing. Everything bad is going through my head. Am I going to pack too much or too little? Am I even doing this right? I have my doubts but I am going to press on. Right before I begin packing I look up to my open cupboard and see my Estate Ser Jacopo (Bulldog) that I just recently bought but am to afraid to take out of the box. I think if I do this right it has to be with Mr. Jacopo. I reach for the beautiful bulldog and now I’m really nervous. I pack my bowl the whole time going through my head baby, woman, man. I say out loud just as long as I do not damage this pipe I will chalk this up as a win. Damn! I cannot find my lighter. I really do not want to do this with a match but I have no choice. I load pipesmagazine forum and look up match techniques and watch a quick youtube video. I am going to F*ck this up I already know.

I get out to my garage strike the match and take deep breath. Puff Puff get a good char. Tamp, Tamp not to hard not to soft. I probably did this wrong but I’m committed strike my second match, the cherry lights really nice. Tamp Tamp. Nice smooth puffing. Thirty minutes later I taste things in the tobacco I have not before and I also realize I haven’t been focusing on what I am doing. I am just doing it right. An hour in just tamping no relights just tamping, shortly after it dies I know I can relight this and keep going but I do not and that’s ok because I won. I would like to thank all of you for your help. This will be a memorable day.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Congrats! I've had a few great moments, but not one quite as perfect as that. I'm enjoying the ride though!

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Good to hear!! People here have helped me as well, great bunch of guys, a few women :)

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
What tobacco did this perfect experience happen with?
Mine happened with G.L. Pease's Jackknife Plug.
It was magic.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I know when I've had one of those perfect pipe moments when I go to relight my pipe for the first time since true light and realize its nearly 45 minutes later and its out because there's nothing left to burn. I think at times that a lot of pipe smokers (me included) are trying so hard to have that "perfect smoke" that they forget to relax and actually have it. My best smokes usually happen without trying at all. I don't know if anyone remembers Charlie Papazian of homebrewing fame but his mantra for homebrewing was, "Relax, don't worry. Have a homebrew!." I've tried to adopt that for pipe smoking. I'm not smoking any better but its nice being half drunk all the time.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Good on you. I was on the backside of a lagoon, on a damp fall day when I had the PERFECT bowl of Haddo's Delight. I still remember it and smile when I pass that park.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Great story. Going to agree with most when I say the best smoke is when you 'let it be' and just enjoy each moment. The flavor, the aroma, the soft wisps of smoke coming out of the bowl and into your nostrils.
Really different experience than when smoking cigars.
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.