PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Since I have started smoking pipe again I have found I enjoy smoking a nosewarmer during my work day. I have 4 nosewarmers a yellobole pug and 3 pipes from the czech republic. all of these pipes smoke great and give a good 20 min smoke.
Now I find my self wanting to expand my work pipe collection. To your knowledge is there a cob that is about 4.5" long with a chamber diameter about .75" with a depth of about 1" to 1.5"?
With my job I don't have a lot of time to smoke a large bowl. In this respect being a cab driver sucks. But I get paid to travel around the state.
Thanks

John

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I have seven Missouri Meerschaum Pony Express'. They're about 4.5" long, with a bowl depth of close to 1", and a chamber diameter of about .65-.70". They are the perfect lunch break pipe.

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
The Tom Sawyer is the best of the bunch for a decent sized nose warmer. The mini's are great, but too small to be considered a normal nose-warmer. The Pony express is great (though I prefer the naked Eton), but the Tom Sawyer is definitely what you should look at.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The Tom Sawyer is the best of the bunch for a decent sized nose warmer.
Agreed ... I like mine quite a bit.
It's super-light, easy to clench and about a 15 to 20 minute smoke.
It takes well to the "scoop and plug" method of packing as well.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
One of my newest favorite pipes is a MM Legend with a WBW "nosewarmer" forever stem. Oddly enough, it is 4 1/2" long, and has a 3/4' diameter bowl, 1 1/2" deep. I put a bent one on a regular bent Legend, and a straight one on a straight Rob Roy. They are pretty much perfect, except I had to funnel the tennons with a countersink.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Gary, after having a video poker game removed from my Cab I don't feel comfortable leaving a 30 yr old Sav, Pete or Comoy where it can be seen. Also the Mini Cobs and the Mini Meers are to small, I have a couple of them.
So I spent yesterday afternoon on the MM site looking at all the pipes and found the Morgan, Pony Express, Eaton and Tom Saywer would fit the bill. So I ordered 1 of each, heck they were cheap with shpping it came to $23.76. Now I have to wait for USPS to deliver them..
I wonder how they will handle some flake or cake.
:puffy:
John

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
the mini cob is a good smoke but, when you are trying to smoke with an unwaxed handlebar the flame/heat gets to close to the stach. Burned one up lighting a cigg many year ago.
:puffy:
John

Feb 13, 2015
Walker Briar Works sell what they call a "custom nose warmer pipe" at their site that comes with their Forever Stem. I don't know whether this is one of the many varieties of MM or something special that they make. One of these days I'm going to get one.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Check out Walkers for cobs. They have a nosewarmer cob, which is a modified Diplomat I think. They also sell nosewarmer stems. I have one nosewarmer cob and two Diplomats with the nosewarmer forever stems and they work very well.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
@mrenglish Checked out Walkers Nosewarmer Cob. I loved the look and I think it would smoke like a champ. Right now it will have to wait till funds get better.
@leacha what is that St James tobacco in the pic?
Also has anyone tried any of th MM hardwood pipes?
Thanks and have a good evening

John

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Also has anyone tried any of th MM hardwood pipes?
This x-mas I was gifted an MM Ozark Hardwood.
It may improve after being broken in but, for now, it's getting the "Two Thumbs Down" from me.
If I had to choose 1 MM Cob or 5 MM Hardwood's ... I'd take the Cob!
Here is the one I received:
002-543-0010.jpg

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I've got an MM hardwood spool. It smoked great once it built some cake. First few bowls had a mild varnish taste as I recall.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I sent away for two of the Red Cap "giveaway" Ozarks. Thanks to a heads-up from reading this forum, I sanded the varnishy gunk out of the bowls before smoking. They smoke great for me; one for aros, one for most everything else. (BTW: Red Cap is nooooo good for piping, but the Blend #7 makes for a really tasty RYO cigarette.)

rivervalley

Lurker
Feb 15, 2015
Reading through this thread has me thinking of pulling the trigger on a small cob. As a newcomer to pipes I do have a question. I bought my MM Missouri Pride based on feedback and reviews and have not regretted it at all. In fact, I LOVE that cob pipe. My question is, while researching which cob to purchase, I read a number of not so positive reviews on most of the small cobs such as the sawyer. With that in mind, which small cob do you recommend and is there something more that I need to know like special tobacco or packing technique for nose warmers?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If you're sold on the idea of a nosewarmer, and like the Pride you already have, don't discount the idea of just buying another pride and converting it to a NW. That would eliminate any worries about special tobaccos or packing techniques. Should make for a win-win.

Status
Not open for further replies.