PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
I've been watching that pipe for months now, and what do I find today?

http://pipes2smoke.com/Northern_Briars/NB_15.htm
Maxim said there were two left at the time I bought mine.
I almost bought some more MacArthur Cobs yesterday because I wanted a fresh stack, but this will fit the bill more than adequately.

I don't actually plan on filling it to the brim very often, I love the stack configuration for the same reason I like a Churchwarden, it lets the smoke out far away from your face.

These are more compact though.

This will be my first Northern, at this point I've got a sample of each of what I've come to see as the three best British carvers (Ashton, Ferndown, and now Northern Briar. Dunhill is out of my league).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That has a great profile and nice price! I like the simple silver band as well.
N_15_f.jpg

N_15.jpg

Congratulations, that is a beauty. I love my NB's, and that one is right in my radar zone for style, make, and price. My absolute favorite of his is a large bowled .95" x 3" bowl churchwarden that is my absolute favorite to smoke on movie night. I can light it and stay put for several movies, ha ha.

Once again, congrats and enjoy!!

Mar 1, 2014
Cosmic, I'm pretty sure telling someone like me that you have a .95"x3" Churchwarden is against the Geneva Convention.

Was it a commission or did Ian actually make one just for kicks?

Mar 1, 2014
While I've got a thread about British pipes up, my needle file came in today and my Ashton now has a free flowing draw, I'm pretty sure it wasn't drilled nearly far enough toward the button.

The draw is about equal to a Briarworks now but still definitely a long way off a Cob (and the stem is definitely Vulcanite).

It's surprising how much a difference the transition in the button makes, but it makes perfect sense that if the round airway only barely reaches the slot that there isn't enough time to transition from round to square and the airway only ends up as big as the hight of the slot and the width of the round airway, massive constriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.