PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Just got back from a long day of pipe stuff. Last Saturday it was my first Pipe show, this Saturday my first slow smoke contest. What a great day. It was held at the S.M. Frank Co., home of Kaywoodie, Yellowbowl, and Medico pipes. We arrived around 1pm and there were several pipemakers there selling their wares as well as loads of the Kaywoodie product, not your run of the mill pipes that might come to mind when you think Kaywoodie. We socialized, smoked, had dinner,smoked some more, then got down to the contest. The contest pipe was naturally a Kaywoodie made for the occasion, there were about 50 people ready to pack in 3 grams of Park Lane Red Paramour, hit it with 2 matches and puff away. I did not go out first, which was my main goal as a first timer. I did last a respectable 30 plus minutes putting me in the middle of the pack. winning time was about 1 hour 15 minutes. I was stunned that so little tobacco could last that long. Had great hosts and a super time, can't wait to do it again next year.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Sounds great! Kaywoodie makes some awesome pipes that generally get ignored. I have a few very old ones that I value highly.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey JC,

If I had known you were going to participate in a "Slow Smoke", I would have posted these links for you. Start at the bottom of each.

Dottle Diggers....
&
Due Diligence
That reminded me... Menkenite if you didn't know already, Skip's annual Slow Smoke is scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 5. Better practice up!

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Thanks for the info PstlPkr. I should have practiced lighting pipes with matches.
img_1549-600x450.jpg

The Kaywoodie contest pipe and official tamper. Half the pipes were natural the others a dark stain.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Slow smoking contests are something that on the face of it sounds really boring, but when you are competing in one, it is anything but boring. I love them. I was in my first one while at the Chicago Pipe Show this year and I can't wait to do it again next year.
Congrats on your good first try time!

Status
Not open for further replies.