PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerkeyselect

Lurker
Mar 7, 2017
Anyone have these pipes? It seems pretty interesting and I like the design, but I can't find a whole lot about it online. I just smoke a cob so I'm not really picky.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Just a guess but I'd imagine many people may think it's more trouble than it's worth. A needless "improvement".
If it interests you check it out..let us know what you think.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
Haven't tried the pipe (and never will) but I do sometimes use the stones on the bottom of a regular briar. The stones are very porous and absorb a good amount of moisture.

Oct 7, 2016
Ditto re: using just the stones. Got them because I thought they might help me avoid building a false bottom on a GBD that was drilled high. Was entirely satisfactory for that purpose, so, kind of intrigued, I have started playing around with them in "no problem" briars. I find them to be a marginal, but noticeable, improvement. Anything that dries out a smoke without cutting down on the draw is worthy of some note. I can pretty much smoke anything in anything with no real issues, but I can see where these might also help if you have issues with packing a particular type of tobacco, such as flake or shag, by keeping the airway open.
I am not a fan of gimmicks in general, but I haven't found a downside to using these little devils. Looks like a bag will last for many months, an some people say they can be reused.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I rarely have moisture problems so I don't think I'd buy a pipe to address the problem. It is a good price and would probably smoke fine without the stones. I liked the old Eriksen line, just good old no-filter factory pipes, but sturdy and a good open draw.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have seen these, they sell for 30$ on pipes and cigars. I was considering ordering one as they are relatively inexpensive. Just haven't got around to ordering one yet.

carburetor422

Lurker
Feb 10, 2017
I haven't tried the pipe, but have used the keystones. They do help in absorbing some moisture, but IMO they have left a chalky taste on the tobacco. If you are having moisture issues by suggest the balsa filters or going to a vauen pipe. I do not notice any changes in the taste with a vauen filter personally.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The one thing I did notice is that the draft hole is right in the center of the bottom of the bowl. Might make for a good flake pipe...

Oct 7, 2016
I tried the denicool crystals years ago, thought they did alter the taste of the tobacco. Don't find that with the New riding rocks, but maybe it's just me.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I have one of these pipes and it smokes okay but not any better than the other pipes I have. It does smoke coolish and dryish but also a little plasticky. At least the one I got has an attractively grained smooth bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.