Noob question about aromatics flavored etc...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steph05

Lurker
Oct 8, 2014
Hi guys,
I'm pretty much a noob here since I just started to smoke pipe tobacco. I'm been smoking cigars for a while but decided to try out the pipes. I have purchased quite a bit of tobacco and I'm basically looking for a lot of flavor and not so much aromatics...Here is a list of what I have and to be quite honest, either my taste buds sucks or there is not much taste to these but more aromatics...I have CAO Eileen dream and moontrance cigars which I enjoy but was disappointed with pipe tobacco, no flavor for me anyways... Here is what I have so far and tried out with a little comment at the end...Now most of these smell awesome but so far not much of taste for me anyways.
CAO Eileen's Dream - no flavor

CAO Moontrance - no flavor

Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce - have to ry again

Sutliff Private Stock Maple Street - didn't try yet

Vanilla Creme Flake - a little bit of taste

Lane 1Q - didn't try yet

Lane BCA - little bit of taste

Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding - didn't try yet

Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River - didn't try yet

Cornell & Diehl Green River Vanilla - little bit of taste

Sutliff Vanilla Custard - didn't try yet

McClelland VBC Vanilla Black Cavendish - little bit of a taste

Erin Go Bragh - little bit of taste

Drew Estate 7th Avenue Blonde - not so much of a taste

S.P.S. Honey & Chocolate - didn't try yet

Ice Cream Sundae - no taste for me

Scotty's Butternut Burley - not much of a taste for me
Do I need to go more into full flavored tobacco instead of aromatics or flavored tobacco to have a really distinct taste. I don't like strong tobacco, I just want something that I can taste and enjoy and not full blown tobacco...
any suggestions would be nice...thanks

steph05

Lurker
Oct 8, 2014
Any suggestions on full flavored tobacco perique?
Well as for the cigars I have all kinds. I love the CAO Eileen and moontrance. I specially love Tabak Especial. I do enjoy Cubans even though not flavored...Cohiba's, montecristo, H. Umpman...There is a few tatiana's I like as well. I have some Drew estates as well which are more coffee taste. I also love the ACID cigars but these are infused...I have a whole buch of dominicans as well, like Arturo Fuente, Macanudo, oliva, Rocky Patel...

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I think you'll really enjoy the Plum Pudding as a better example of what pipe tobacco has to offer. Based on how you respond to Plum Pudding, it will be easier to make specific recommendations.
Generally speaking, here are a few wide-ranging suggestions:
GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Balkan Sasieni

Rattray's Marlin Flake

Dunhill Royal Yacht

Peterson Irish Oak
And if you like the Plum Pudding, which I think you will, try:

Dunhill 965

Frog Morton on the Bayou

Frog Morton (original)
My most common suggestion is to call Carole at Pipeworks & Wilke, tell her what you like taste wise, and have her make you up a sampler.
But there plenty of threads here on this subject, so search away and enjoy the ride.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
IMHO, you're not going to find the kind of flavor you got from cigars in the vast majority of aromatic tobaccos.
Also, try drying those blends down a bit before you smoke them. Your experience may improve.
Full flavor in a Perique blend...try GLPease Haddo's Delight or McClelland St. For a very flavorful blend, McClelland Bombay Court or Bombay Extra.
Mike S.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've never found a blend that will equal a quality cigar in "big" flavor. Two entirely different smokes. Cigars are designed to deliver a lot of tobacco taste. Pipe blends not so much. Just compare the nomenclature of the cigar and the pipe. Your sucking large volumes of smoke with the cigar, no wooden bowl, or vessel of other material, between you and the tobacco, your lips are wrapped around a full bodied leaf wrapper and you are sucking the smoke through the length of the cigar which imparts additional taste to the smoke. The pipe is delivering a smaller volume of smoke, being taken through a much smaller pack of unburned tobacco.
I think you should lower your "big" flavor expectations. The pipe and it's tobacco is simply a more subtle experience.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Feel free to send me anything you're bored with. :lol: Seriously though.
I had kind of the same issue as you but it was because I wasn't properly storing the 3 aromatics I have. With aromatics they lose a lot of flavor when they dry out and then they just don't taste or smell nearly as good. I started with Sutliff Frosty mint which was like a mint explosion when I first tried it. By the end of the first week having it, it ended up not tasting like much of anything and it went from smelling faintly like mint to smelling like cigarette smoke, bleh. Also, a good tip is to try and smoke slower. That helps a lot with bringing flavors out I've found.
I've read that they make some pipe blends with cigar leaf in them to give them more of a full or "meaty" flavor but I have no experience with those. I know there are posts on them though. Maybe someone else can speak to that. Hope I helped. :mrgreen:

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
It could be your smoking technique too. Puffing to hard and too strong will negate most of the flavor profile of the tobacco. Since you are crossing over from cigars you might want to try a strong Burley and/or a strong Latakia. Neither of these are aromatics but they should give you a full flavored "tobacco" experience.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
It could be your smoking technique too. Puffing to hard and too strong will negate most of the flavor profile of the tobacco.

+1
In my first couple of months, everything tasted the same. It wasn't until I slowed way way down that flavours popped. Try longer but much gentler sips, so the airspeed doesn't heat up the cherry too much. You aren't trying to fire a blacksmith's furnace!
If Molto Dolce and Butternut Burley both taste the same to you, I'd say it's your technique.

bigjoe

Might Stick Around
Aug 14, 2014
I found that when it comes to flavored cigars like those CAOs most of the flavor comes directly from the cigar wrapper being in contact with my lips and mouth, the smoke itself only contributes a little to the flavor.
Aromatic pipe tobaccos are far more subtle and very sensitive to the burn temperature. Once you have the technique to keep your pipe cool it can help to also exhale through your nose or retro inhale slightly to bring out extra flavor. It seems counter intuitive, but it can be quite a bit tougher for the smoker to taste the pleasant room note of an aromatic than it is for those around them to smell it.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
My two suggestions

-Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake

-Frog Morton
The Vanilla Cream Flake is the most powerful aromatic I've ever had. It's very cool when it burns. It does need a little dry time. If you aren't ready for the flake, you can also buy the loose cut, which I haven't tried.
Frog Morton (regular) is a cross-over between the aromatics and Latakia blends. It smells and tastes like an English blend, but it has a very sweet note on the back-end of it. It's not strong in tobacco flavor, but it has enough actual flavor to make it an excellent blend.
You can also try Blue Note, but it's very light in flavor, and if you aren't getting much from 1Q or BCA you probably won't get much from Blue Note.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I never had a cigar (and I've smoked a LOT of 'em in my day) that had more flavor than G&H Dark Plug. Just sayin...

steph05

Lurker
Oct 8, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions and tips guys...Also, when you say to dry it down, how long do you dry it for?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There are many factors to getting flavor out of a pipe tobacco. First you have to already be hydrated. Second you have to keep your palate moist and continue to sip on something. I recommend water when tasting out blends because it doesn't impart any added flavor and gives you a better idea of the tobacco's flavor. The next most important thing in tasting a pipe blend is chewing on the smoke. Take a puff and swish the smoke around in your mouth, like tasting a wine, briefly before exhaling. It lets the flavors hit more of the taste buds and draws it out more pronounced.
I'd say Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake is one aromatic that you might like. It's a bit more robust than most aromatics. The tobacco flavors come through nicely and the top dressing plays more of a companion to it.
Most likely you'll end up being more into VaPers and English/Latakia blends having come to the pipe from cigars. I'd check out Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, McClelland's Frog Morton and Frog Morton on the Bayou, A&C Petersen's Escudo, GL Pease's Haddo's Delight and Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake.
Most important things to remember are that there are no pipe blends that are like cigar blends and to try all the different styles of blends.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
" IMHO, you're not going to find the kind of flavor you got from cigars in the vast majority of aromatic tobaccos.
Also, try drying those blends down a bit before you smoke them. Your experience may improve.
Full flavor in a Perique blend...try GLPease Haddo's Delight or McClelland St. For a very flavorful blend, McClelland Bombay Court or Bombay Extra."
I agree with Mike, dry the arro's and add Perique blends into your trials.

All good suggestions above...
After exploring cigars for a while, I find that adding cigar leaf to a blend isn't done so to try to make pipes taste like cigars, as much as adding a new flavor to blends. You might also like GLP's Key largo, it has a bit of cigar leaf but the flavor is a whole new experience that I don't equate with cigars... but, it's equally as tasty. Another consideration is the strength of the blend, as cigars greatly outweigh the strength of the pipe. GH&co has a Dark Flake unscented that I find equal to cigars with full flavor, strength, and it has a tasty cosmopolitan flavor. You might also like McBaron's Old Dark Fired, but I don't find it nearly as strong as others have reported, but it is certainly a full flavor flake.

After a few cigars, I really need one of these three to give me a satisfactory flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.