PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugfly

Lurker
Jun 7, 2012
For all of you non- cigarette pipe smokers, what was the first blend of pipe tobacco that made you realize you enjoyed pipe smoking?
I only ask non- cigarette smokers because, I myself came into pipe smoking with out any other smoking history.
Thanks!

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Lane's 1Q (Sold as "Wilshire" at Tinderbox) and it was my first pipe tobacco.
I never really smoked much when I was younger.. probably smoked 4 packs in my entire life.
Jason

vaboatbuilder

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2012
captain black, its still my go to tobacco. I did for a while switch to cigars, untill my brand went to $10.00 a stick so i came back to my trusty Dr. Grabow.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
I started w/ cigars. Transitioned over via Key Largo. I don't recal the magicall moment;but when I opend my p&c order tonight....I was thrilled. It had been sitting at work for 3 weeks and the anticipation was torturous.

bronxbill

Lurker
Dec 10, 2012
I remember smoking a lot of Carter Hall back in the 60's, so I guess that would be the one.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I didn't love my very first pipe experience -- some awful drugstore cherry blend in a corncob -- but I fell in love as soon as I got my first briar. And my very first tobacco was probably Tinder Box's North Sea (it's a Lane blend. . . maybe RLP-6? others here will know for sure). Anyway, at the time, it was the best-selling Tinder Box blend, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've since moved almost entirely toward English/Balkan/VAs and only rarely smoke anything close to an aromatic. But those first few years were wonderful experiences.
Bob

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Nightcap was my first "AH-HA" moment with pipe smoking. 1Q was probably the first blend that kept me coming back for more at the beginning. I'm not a cigarette smoker but did smoke cigars for 5 years before hand.

oldshacker

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2012
Rum and maple (blend 53) it was back then. Something that stunted my growth and took all my hair off my head and put in places that you would only read about in a John Ronald Reuel Tolkien book. Never been the same since.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
My first pipe tobacco was a blend by a smoke shop in town, I forget the name of the blend, Jolly Roger? $20 for 25g I think, I had no idea what was a normal price or a decent starter tobacco . . .

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Even though I used to smoke nails I was quit for 10 years before I took up the pipe. The pipe is still all I do now. No cigs.
My first blend was Captain Black White, but the first time I said, "Yes! This is what pipe smoking is supposed to be!" was with H&H Magnum Opus.
After smoking it, I wrote my first tobacco review. Here: http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/hearth--home-magnum-opus#392

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
For me, it was called Chuckanut Blend my buddy gave me from our B & M from near us. It was a nice cool smoke with hints of vanilla, hazelnut, with a smokey undertone loved it.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
It was 40+ years ago - who knows?
Mine was just over a year ago and it still took me a minute.
It's been about 7 years for me since I got done with cigarettes.
Lane 1Q was the first blend that had me thinking aromatics don't have to be cavendish + topping. Shortcut to Mushrooms was the first english blend that got me liking latakia, followed by Plum Pudding.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Captain black white. Bought my first pouch at wallmart due to my freind's suggestion. Then I got a cheap no name brair from a head shop. Fell in love with the first puff and knew I would be a smoker for life :) since then I have had better pipes and better tobacco and this hobby only gets better and better!

prettyinpink648

Might Stick Around
Sep 17, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Captain black cherry was my first. Never smoked a cigarette a day in my life. I can count on one hand how many cigars I've smoked. I needed to see what my grandfather loved about it so much. Now I know. I was hooked after the first bowl. Just wish I lived in a warmer climate. I want to smoke a bowl right now but its cold as ish outside. :lol:

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Captain Black White was my brand of choice for at least the first decade I smoked a pipe.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Captain Black white.

A crane operator that I knew smoked it and it smelled great. I was into cigars but didnt like dropping a 20 every time I wanted a smoke. So I bought a medico pipe and some captn and thussly started piping.

Status
Not open for further replies.