Nomenclature: "cellar" vs "rotation" (vs both)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Hi,
I'm curious as to how people refer to their collection of pipe tobacco. The terms I use are "cellar" for tobacco that's been put away to be smoked at a later date, and "rotation" for tobacco that's routinely smoked. But I've also read people say "cellar" to mean all of their tobacco, both in long-term storage and in daily usage.
And, if you use "cellar/rotation", what do you call your whole assortment? I refer to it as my "collection", but I confess this one was made up.
So. How do you address your tobacco - besides, of course, "respectfully"? :)

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I call my "cellar/rotation" my crutch all my tobacco is there to be smoked, my favourites I have plenty of in a couple of jars, one jar to slowly peck at filling my rotation tins once a month. I don't have a set regime when it comes to what I smoke each day. I have about 8 tins with different blends and then a humidifier jar with my own mix of different blends that I didn't like (such as Dunhill's EMP) mixed with cigar leaf, left to moisten with the wet stone in the humidifier lid and then left for a couple of weeks. I love smoking from that jar but only have probably one bowl a day of it. But when it comes to choosing what I feel like I often pick through the tins wondering what to fill this bowl with.
At the end of the day, for me it's a luxury, i love my pipes and they would be useless without tobacco to fill them.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
My cellar , to me, is all my tobacco. I have well over a hundred tobaccos in my cellar. My rotation is what I am smoking, or might smoke now. I'm sure there are some tobaccos in my cellar I haven't seen in so long that I have forgotten they are there. Sometimes, as I read the blogs, someone mentions a tobacco and it reminds me "I have some of that." and I will go dig it out of my "cellar", As seasons change, I change my rotation. My cellar is in three places, but my rotation is out in the open and easy to grab.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
My cellar is six tins in a drawer in the spare room and my rotation is three jam jars on the bookshelf.

Its just my tobacco.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
To me my cellar is anything that isn't open and rotation is anything I have in jars for use regularly

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm with kanada - my "cellar" is the unopened tins that I'll eventually open and smoke, along with the stuff that I've jarred for long-term storage. The specific jars that I dip into are my "rotation".

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Unless it's in my desk or on my nightstand it's in the "cellar". Everything else is what I happen to be smoking, but rotation is a term that I generally use for pipes not tobacco.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
For me cellar has come to mean that I am not opening it for yet or in the immediate future. Rotation means I may crack the seal at any point to smoke some.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Teufelhund, you have a point there about rotation, it is a term I think or more about Pipes, not Tobacco. My Tobacco is pick and choose, as in what do I feel like this time. Sometimes I do the same with my pipes as I have about 35-40 pipes to select from, I love Bents but am growing fond of Bulldogs, pity the Bulldogs were not sitters, I rekon I would love a Bulldog Sitter, I might have a go at making one after I finish the Bent I am making (slowly), I cheated a bit with the top 1/3 of the bowl, I used a hole cutter bit on my drill and carefully drilled part way into the top and even got it even, lol, thought I would have to even it out with the Dremel.. But that's another topic..

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Teufelhund, you have a point there about rotation, it is a term I think or more about Pipes, not Tobacco.
I actually use rotation for both pipes and tobacco.
I generally select from the 4 tins or so I have open at any given time, the rest is cellared. Much like a wine cellar, I never know which tin I'll open next but in order to do so I must be running low on a specific type of blend in order to replace it.
I like to keep an English, an Aro, a VaBur and a BurVa blend open and I call it my rotation because I actually rotate through the tins throughout the week. For example these days I usually start with some Frog Morton On The Bayou or Comoy´s Cask No. 7, however I may just choose to light up some Sherlock Holmes. I usually end the day with Cube Silver or for a real treat some Irish Flake. Fact is, part of the fun is choosing in the moment so this type of rotation is just illustrative.
I also tend to rotate my pipes, because I don't smoke all of them all the time; I may give some long rest as I entertain myself with others. And although none of my pipes are truly dedicated, I tend to smoke certain blends through specific pipes. Although I've yet to have a problem with ghosting, it's a going concern, thus I'll also rotate the blends through the pipes to some degree.
In summary, both the pipes and blends that I'm currently smoking I refer to as my rotation.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I use the term celler to refer to blends that I've stored for aging and/or later use. I store these in my, er...celler.
I use tobacco rotation to refer to tobaccos tins, pouches, or other containers that have been opened. I usually have two open tins that I smoke from daily. One tin is typically a favorite regular, the second is typically a new blend that I'm evaluating. This week the regular favorite is Sam Gawith Luxury Navy Flake and the new-to-me blend I'm trying is H&G Bob's Chocolate Flake.
I supplement my daily rotations with what I call my regular favorites. These are blends that I smoke regularly, at least once or twice weekly, and will replace when my stock is depleted. Peter Stokkeyby Luxury Bulls Eye and PS Luxury Navy Flake come to mind, as well as Old Dark Fired, GLP Jack Knife Plug. I sometimes move these up to my daily rotation.
Finally, I have a dozen or so bail jars with tobacco that I smoke whenever the mood hits me. Lots of GLP brands, a couple of aromatics like Seven Seas or some Latakia forward blends like Pirate Kake. When these are depleted I may or may not replace them.
So, I have a daily rotation supplemented with my weekly rotation of favorite blends supplemented by those I smoke occasionally. But they are all part of my rotation. And I'm far from rigid in adhering to a schedule. I do try to smoke freshly opened tins daily, especially if it is new to me, because it helps me refine my tastes. At first, a VaPer was VaPer was a VaBur. Smoking from the same tin daily gives me the time and experience to discriminate between different styles. One of the old timers suggested this one I started taking pipe tobacco seriously and it was probably the single best tip I've received. The tobacco crawls we ran last year was primarily based on this one idea.
But I wander and digress from the topic.
Pax

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The cellar is stuff that I am deliberately aging. The rotation is what I have open and am actively smoking. Tins that are unopened, but that I am not aging, is the pantry. YMMV

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Thanks for the input, everyone! Looks like everyone has a slightly different use for the terms - which I suppose is to be expected, in a subject so personal as pipes.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
These old terms need updating!
How about "playlist" for things that you're currently smoking, and "library" for stuff that's in storage?

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
planetary that's not a bad idea :)
I have to say, I like "cellar" and "rotation" for "stored" and "in frequent use". I just miss a less-ambiguous term than "cellar" to mean the whole thing. As I said, I've been using "collection", but clearly nobody else has :roll:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The rotation is made up of the three, six, eight, dozen or two dozen tobaccos you more or less

smoke regularly at the present time. The cellar is the whole array of tobacco in tins sealed and

unsealed, jars, pouches, and etc., whether you have smoked it or not, whether you remember what

it is or not. That's my notion of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.