PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
My wife and I enjoy cruising and we've always cruised with Carnival Cruise Lines. Today I learned that Carnival has apparently given into the anti-tobacco crowd and gone PC. They have given notice that they will no longer allow their guests with balcony rooms to be able to smoke on their balconies. If you want to smoke a pipe then you can only do so in certain designated areas on the upper deck of the ship. If you do smoke on your balcony then they will charge you a $250 suite "clean-up" fee at the end of the cruise. It's apparently outraging many of their guests as about 15% of their cruisers smoke. As many have said, it's rather hypocritical that Carnival doesn't have any problem with alcohol since they make money on all of the alcoholic beverages aboard ship, but yet they want to curb smoking as not to "offend" their non-smoking guests. I have a feeling quite a few folks will be changing cruise lines.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like the balcony isn't inside. Maybe the gulls will breathe second hand smoke.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I always liked David Foster Wallace's take on cruises: 'A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.'

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise several years ago. They allowed smoking on multiple decks, a few bars and they also had a cigar lounge for the cigar smokers. I spent every evening in the cigar lounge which was very nice. I'm nor sure if they allowed smoking on the balcony or not as I just went to the lounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.