PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

celticbrewer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2018
It appears to be sold out now on pipesandcigars, smokingpipes, 4 noggins etc - just started to get into English tobacco so was lucky enough to snag a tin...

Hoping STG picks it up in the future, it is a great tobacco. Smoking Kramer Father Dempsey's to conserve what nightcap I have left, I have found that it is close (little lest perique and nic-hit to my tastes).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm hoarding a tin of NC, but don't neglect the many terrific English blends on the market. A few I'm enjoying at the moment include Sutliff Lord Nelson, C&D Bayou Night, and C&D Tuggle Hall 965. But there are so many. No need to go into mourning. If you like a mild and refined premium blend, Nat Sherman 536 is excellent.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If STG is the heir apparent, they are wise to hold their fire until the nostalgia surge depletes the old inventory of Dunhill blends. Then they can bring out the brass band and some new packaging and announce the introduction of the renewed historical blends. If they can approximate the sources and proportions of the originals, I think this would be a good line for STG or whoever else picks up the ball. I could be a daffy optimist or a shrewd observer, likely some of each.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I’m glad I haven’t been smoking the duhills for decades. I will miss some blends but there are plenty currently on the market that will fill the void for me

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
If you look around...Still available...Agree to Ashton Artisan, C&D Bayou Night and Kramer Father Dempsey would do this for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the big loss with Dunhill blends, under the original name and brand despite some inevitable variation over the seasons, is the stature of the name. Dunhill wasn't always perfect nor entirely consistent, but it set a high bar and did an admirable job over many decades. Many of us cut our teeth, as it were, on Dunhill blends, and since they were so widely distributed, the blends were something we could all discuss and compare. The joy of discovering a particular favorite like Night Cap or Royal Yacht, or the pleasure of dissenting on the blends we didn't like was common ground for the pipe smoking community. I'd be fibbing if I said I won't miss Dunhill blends, even if they are continued and revived by someone else. However this does present an opportunity to discover many as yet untried blends by other brands, some longstanding and/or under-appreciated.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Dunhill is alright. Night Cap, Royal Yacht, and Ye Olde Signe were the best of what I tried. I always had to keep in mind that even the blends I enjoyed were copycats to the Original Dunhill tobaccos. Dunhill is no stranger to change. So the Match tobacco will be the only way to enjoy Dunhill from now on, unless a blending house picks up the recipes and Brand Names.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another good alternative English blend, not a match to any Dunhill, is C&D Stratfordshire, at the stronger end of English.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'm with MSO on this. I bought myself a tin of NC a few months ago and it is good, but by not really establishing a relationship with the Dunhill blends. I've been trying out almost anything I find English and there are quite a lot of good ones out there. I could almost safely say that I could be content with just the C&D blends with a few other odd and ends that are readily available out there. C&D makes a lot of good blends and I could probably say that they have just about everything in their stable that I would want to smoke. Boswells is also an excellent blender. There's so many out there to try, though, that I'd have a lot of trouble nailing it down to just a few.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I will miss Dunhill, mainly for their long-standing name and reputation, which I am aware is quite sappy sentimentalist of me. Dunhill hasn't really produced these blends since about 1980. The Dunhill name has just been branding since that point, though some of the blends were / are very good. I'm a big fan of Nightcap, and have quite a bit of it in my cellar, but even if I didn't, there are so many good English blends out there right now that it would be hard to miss any one of them too much.
G.L. Pease Westminster is fast becoming my new go-to English blend, though it is not nearly as heavy a blend as Nightcap, so it's not really a direct comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.