Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Nightcap, is it Good?

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My local B&M is starting to carry Nightcap, and the owner asked me if he should set aside a tin for me. From what you guys have experienced is Nightcap a good blend or a serious lat bomb.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It's terrible leave it on the shelf.........more for me.

It's strongish .....in a tasty way.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. pipenscotch

pipenscotch

Login to Send PM

I prefer a bowl with my morning coffee. It's on the stronger end in terms of the Vitamin N, but it's flavor profile is easy enough for an all day smoke.

“The fact is, Squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It’s the poor man’s friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth.”
    -”Sam Slick, The Clockmaker”
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. fadingdaylight

fadingdaylight

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Its delicious. I was smoking about 3-4 bowls a day. Plenty of nicotine, milder on the lat side.

- Jason
    "Lost in thought and lost in time... While the seeds of life and the seeds of change were planted... Outside the rain fell dark and slow... While I pondered on this dangerous but irresistible pastime..."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you like Latakia and Perique, you'll like Nightcap.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ron:

If push came to shove Nightcap would be my deserted isle Robinson Crusoe tobacco for the next 28 years.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well then with these responses I see no reason to not get a tin, thanks guys.
    ~Ron

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. goldsm

goldsm

Login to Send PM

Don't start!!!
    Can't stop!!!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just bought a tin of this for a revisit. High quality tobaccos - good flavor - but more nic than I care for. Not something I will keep around.
    It is a classic blend, however, one every pipe smoker should try.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. eastwoodaudio

eastwoodaudio

Login to Send PM

First of all, I love nightcap. It was my first Latakia mixture, and I was hooked.
    It's funny, I consider myself pretty nic sensitive, things like captain earl's honor blend and even PS LNF get my head spinning, however I've never had that problem with nightcap..

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"a good blend or a serious lat bomb?"

Not sure that these need to be mutually exclusive!

I will say that, like Jud, I'm particularly sensitive to nicotine. . . and Nightcap is too "rich" for me, due to the perique. But I can understand why so many enjoy it.

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

fnord was kind enough to send me a tin of his Nightcap supply last year, and I fell in love with the blend.

The Latakia component and Perique components really serve as condiments here, and the sweetness of the Virginias develop nicely through the bowl. I like this blend most with a little age on it. It doesn't need decades, but a little maturity seems, to me, to make the flavours a little more homogeneous.

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. erichbaumer

erichbaumer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was my first Latakia experience as well, and now English blends are about all I smoke, save the rare VA or aromatic. Nightcap still easily ranks as my favorite blend, and I'm pretty excited that it's finally available in bulk like 965 has been.

"I don't want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it." -Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have tried dozens of English/Lat blends and to me Nightcap is the be-all end-all. No need for me to keep looking as long as Nightcap is available.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's as close to a universal favorite on Forums as we'll get with this individualistic tribe of ours. A little advice
    on starting with Nightcap. Start with either a smaller pipe, maybe a Group 3, or a partial bowl, maybe half
    a medium size (Group 4) pipe, and smoke it slowly, once a day, for several days, to get your footing. I think
    Nightcap improves three or four days after opening the tin. At first it's kind of a blast of nic and Lat. Once
    you understand how you react to it, you can step it up, if it feels right. Once you get your own measure on
    Nightcap, it is a solid pleasure. I'm aging a tin right now, and enjoying 965 and other English blends in the
    meantime.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. anglesey

anglesey

Login to Send PM

It's good. It's grown on me a lot recently. It's a proper smoke.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have some left over nightcap from about a year ago. At that time, I felt it to be nic strong and a very full Latakia strength, a little too much for me.

I'm going to try some today, after finding this past year a real love for the 'English' blends.

Allan
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see a lot about Nightcap's nic and Lat content, but that's precisely why it's my quintessential English. For me, Lat comes forward no matter how much of it is in there, and with it the promise of a full-bodied smoke, so if there is little or no nic, it feels like the promise was broken. I loved Sutliffe's Bosphorus Cruise at first but after Nightcap it's like smoking air.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was the first pipe tobacco I got hooked on. I hadn't smoked any in quite a while until tonight. It will always be in my rotation.

Jordan

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." - Marjorie Pay Hinckley
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not as good as it used to be, but still worthwhile. Careful on an empty stomach. I keep roughly 100 tins, will open one for my next smoke.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just tried it recently and I find it's a great balanced english. It's not a lat bomb, I don't find the nicotine content very high, but apparently it's changed in the last few years and isn't as strong as before. It does burn for a good while whereas I find EMP to be a really quick smoke, but I figure this is why it's early morning pipe and nightcap is the relaxing take your time smoke.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Definitely my favorite blend right now, as the name implies, a bowl of this stuff is great when things are settled down for the night, it is a heavenly smoke.
    I just bought a pound, I hope to buy at least five more or so before it goes off sale at P&C.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. antbauers

antbauers

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, it's not good. It's great!!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

cfreud

Login to Send PM

For English/latakia smokers, it's a staple of any pipe tobacco collection.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. layinpipe

layinpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been meaning to pick up a tin of this for a while now at my local b&m. It shall, therefore, be my next purchase upon my next visit. Thanks for all the reviews fellas.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. apatim

apatim

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a newbie I have only been sampling various aros up until today. Today I opened a tin of Dunhill Nightcap. While the aroma from the tin was quite different from the aros, I found it pleasing... Not as strong as I had anticipated from reading reviews. Upon lighting, I did note a distinctively different flavor but, again, not nearly as strong as anticipated and not unpleasant in the least.

I'm not sure if my tastes are just not all that discriminating or what but I was unable to pick up on any of the flavors others have described. I read a review that suggested placing the mixture in a mason jar and shaking it up once every couple of weeks for a few months before smoking it. I think I will experiment with half of the tin in this way.

Bottom line, in my opinion... If you haven't tried it, try it. You might like it.

Enjoying my days on earth.

Tim
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. judd

judd

Login to Send PM

It seems to have a stout nicotine blast, but I really enjoy it. I have a tin of Dunhill EMP and it seems weak to me. I was thinking of mixing the two. Has anybody done this or will I be making a concoction I can't smoke?

When you're retired, every day is Saturday!
    Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, achtman, cornedbeef, newbroom