PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
Any way of getting an idea of nicotine content ? Don't like the rush - some are even giving me sensation of sweats prefer a mellow smoke.
Also, breaking in a new pip[e recommendations were to use captain black - white package - how is nicotine in this one -

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
As far I've been able to find, there is no easy way to determine Nicotine content for any specific tobacco blend. The best way is probably to read some reviews or ask here on the forums. To discuss brands in general, I've found that almost all McClelland brand products that I've had have been on the low nicotine side.
Regarding Captain Black (White), I don't think you'll find the nicotine an issue but personally, I've always found it a bit "goopy". While alot of people advocate breaking in pipes with certain tobaccos (Carter Hall is mentioned alot), I recommend whatever you plan to smoke in the pipe and just make sure to finish your bowls as you go. I used to use the 1/4 bowl, then 1/2 bowl, etc. but now, I'd just fill her up and smoke whatever. The pipe will season itself.

jeff394

Lurker
Mar 7, 2013
You can look up the blend on www.tobaccoreviews.com, which will give you a description of the blend including type(s) of tobacco in the blend, strength, cut, etc. Most of the reviews are crap, but the descriptions of the blends are mostly spot on.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
There have been some "nicotine" threads here. You can look those up. If memory serves me, some of the older smokers here break in a pipe with Prince Albert, Carter Hall, or a pure-bred Virginia.
Watch out for any of the blends that have dark-fired Kentucky. I have been smoking a pipe a long time. I thought I could handle the roughest, toughest tobacco on the planet. Anything with the dark fired is a red flag for me these days. I smoke them slowly, and give them the respect they are due.
Check out Roth, Harris, Peck, Cortezattic, Russ Ouellette and some others here on this subject.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
I read on this site (somewhere) that the general rule of thumb is: the higher the sugar content the lower the nicotine and vice versa. So, if you find a naturally sweet blend (read: not artificially sweetened with casing) it should be lower in nicotine.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tobacco-basics-nicotine-amp-sugar-content-curing-methods

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
This blog post has a nice chart showing nicotine content:
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2011/12/19/running-from-the-nicotine-monster.html

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I would not recommend breaking in a new pipe with Captain Black unless you plan on smoking Captain Black in that pipe, as it will leave a ghost and with all the PG and toppings it is likely to give an unsatisfactory cake layer. I would recommend something rather neutral to break in a new or estate pipe, I use C&D's Briar Fox myself. As far as high nicotine tobaccos, there are no set in stone rules, but typically Burley and Perique will give you the highest levels of nicotine, with Latakia at the other end of the spectrum. However there are always exceptions to this, as others have said, go to tobaccoreviews.com for a more thorough explanation of what is in each blend, read the reviews on a particular tobacco, if people talk about their head spinning or cold sweats you can bet that blend has a decent nicotine level to it.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
"This blog post has a nice chart showing nicotine content:"
That's very helpful info, Joe, thanks for posting!

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
Am planning on using mc clelland " tastemaster " with this new pipe which i messed up with an initial smoke of their

3 oaks with latakia. will use the 3 oaks in another pipe.
I assume mc clelland tastemaster & 3 cherry being mild & an aromatic will be a low nicotine content - am i correct ?

chocolate & vanilla etc .
thanks

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Breaking in pipes, just pack that bowl and smoke it, enjoy it and repeat as often as you want. As far as that captain black goes i don't know, never touched that stuff. Stick with some quality blenders. Try some bullseye rounds, some flakes, ropes, cakes. Can't go wrong with anything you decide to smoke, if you like it you like it, if you don't you want. To each his own.

kerpap

Lurker
Aug 6, 2013
I like to break my pipes in based on what type of tobacco I will be putting in them.
Aromatics only pipes I like to use lite aromatic blends that dont have a lot of toppings and gradually work up to the ones that have heavy flavoring.
For English Pipes, I like lite latakia blends as they leave a very nice essence in the pipe and alternate between that and a mild Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.