PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I know there are a lot of pipe smokers who are addicted to the nicotine, which is all fine and dandy, but I was wondering how many of you that are addicted to the nicotine do not inhale (intentionally, obviously there is always some sort of inhalation)? How regular of a pipe smoker would one have to be to get hooked on the nicotine just from smoking without inhaling? I know some people believe its impossible, but if regular enough I am lead to believe it is quite possible . . .
D.L

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
I think I might be craving nicotine when I smoke, even though I stopped inhaling recently. I moved to pipes from cigarettes, so I think that some form of addiction has carried over.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I'd say if there is any "addiction" it is social or habitual, and not necessaririly a biological addiction

The chemical makeup of pipe smoke is that so that nicotine is not as readily absorbed as in cigarettes.
You do still feel the buzz from some blends. I do not know any cigar or pipe smoker that could not take a break from if if they wanted due to a biological N addiction

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Interesting, how often do you smoke a bowl rothnh?

This is encouraging to me, the last thing I want is a nic addiction, so I've always spaced my smokes out at least a day or so. In winter much much longer. That said, even with cigarettes one has to smoke them regularly enough for a couple weeks straight to get hooked from the smokers I know anyway. I've been in a couple stints with cigarettes where I would go and smoke a few and then not smoke any for a couple days, carrying this on for a month about that (a rocky time in my life), but I never got hooked to the nicotine, certainly mentally though.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
There was a post recently asking folks this question.
Yes, but I wasn't aware you posted in it nor would I have remembered user names at this point.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Oh, haha, I thought you may have been insinuating that I should have just looked up what you had said in that thread rather than ask you. The joys of non verbal communication, haha.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I think one part of the addiction would be the ritual/taste, it is for me anyways. I think there might be a bit of nicotene absorption through the mucus membrane but not like chew or cigarettes. Nicotene is not bad for you from a cancer standpoint like the tars and other things just makes quiting harder for some but who wants to quit this man!!! :puffy:

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
People get addicted to everything from shopping to caffine, and food. If you have any other addictions you could be predisposed to addiction and consider your actions accordingly. Addiction is no game, it ruins lives. There are 12 step programs that work for these problems. If you are worried that you may become addicted then maybe you should not take the risk, but rather get the help you need.

No you do not have to participate in a behavior daily hourly or ona any such interval to become addicted.

Good luck.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I can only speak for myself so feel free to disregard this post. I normally smoke 2-3 bowls per day without inhaling. I often visit relatives with small children that would not appreciate my pipe and am obliged to leave them at home. I manage just fine. I do miss my pipe but suffer no discomfort or urges. I have never smoked cigarettes so no previous addiction. I am, however, addicted to all sorts of unhealthy foods!

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
i stopped inhaling over 40 years ago, but occasionally i still get an urge to drag in a deep lung full--i have been able to resist the temptation all these years, but i suspect that urge is the remnant of some form of addiction

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I apologize in advance for my thoughts. I smoked cigs. for 30 yrs, and it has now been close to 2 yrs since I have smoked one. I do get my nic from the pipe. When I need the heavy nicotine, I sprinkle some 1792 Flake, or 5 Bros., or Kendalls Kentucky, or Old Dark Fired, etc. I keep a few of these blends just for that reason only. One does not have to "inhale" to recieve nicotine into the body. With pipe smoking, the nic is absorbed tru the tissues in the mouth. In fact, if one does not wish to smoke, chew, etc, one can actually rub a strong nic tobacco on the skin of any part of the body, and the nicotine can be absorbed in this manner. For me, pipe smoking is as addictive as cig smoking. I still crave my smoke every couple hours or so.

augaug

Lurker
Oct 29, 2012
I wonder if it varies for different people? Having previously smoked cigarettes and switching to pipe, I am able to go without pipe for weeks etc. without any "craving", I don't think this would be possible with cigarettes...for me nicotine and pipe smoking seems to be negligible.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Brothers you can definitely get addicted to nicotine through your pipes. Nsfisher speaks through experience and I have felt plenty of nicotine cravings from pipe smoking. I don't smoke more than a bowl or two a day, however, and so I have often gone smoke free for weeks without a lot of irritation.
You personally may not be addicted, but it can easily happen if you do it often enough. Most fellows who smoke for the nicotine probably started out with cigarettes anyway so it was just a transition for them.
Pipe smoking offers a pretty slow release of nicotine anyway, and the tobaccos are often fairly strong, so I imagine one can go quite a few hours before it bothers them.
I have my doubts that it'll ever be as bad as cigarette smoking for some. (ie. skin crawling after an hour)
I haven't ever gotten a buzz from smoking a cigarette but I've been put on my behind by "moderate" pipe blends so there has to be an effect there somewhere!
Augaug, it definitely varies between individuals. We all have unique body chemistries and weights and levels of health and fitness - all these different factors will influence how much nicotine affects us. Like loco mentions, too, a lot of it is psychological and some of us have addictive personalities so you can't discount the effect that the mind has on it all.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I pointedly avoid inhaling except for to smell the room note.
I stopped smoking cigarettes for the sake of my respiratory health.
That being said, if I smoke a few bowls per day a few days in a row, and then stop for a day, I will feel the nic fit urge kicking in.
You get all the nicotine from the smoke without inhaling, the only difference is, it absorbs into your blood faster if you inhale.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I've only been smoking a few months but I find Double Cheeseburgers far more addicting then my pipes. I never get cravings to smoke my pipe. There are times when it would be "perfect" but sometimes waiting and looking forward to that bowl is a treat too.
But I ALWAYS want a cheeseburger.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Not inhaling will go a long way in your quest to avoid a nicotine addiction, but it won't necessarily prevent one.
Chew some tobacco and you'll be blown away by the amount of nicotine uptake.
After a couple of chews I got a nicotine hangover and 1-2 days that I spent craving the stuff. I smoked my pipes more often until I felt back to normal, then I went cold turkey for a week or two until it wasn't a problem anymore.
By that standard, a one bowl a day pipe habit is extremely benign as far as nicotine goes - even if that one bowl is a strong blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.