PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Did anyone else catch the NHL Winter Classic game this afternoon in Michigan at the Big House? I love the outdoor games and this one was a blast - 16 degrees and snow falling enough to shovel the rink during play. I missed this game last year when the players strike postponed the season. Even the ref's had black paint under their eyes!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I watched it until about 5 mins left in the 3rd period (neighbors "dropped by" and I couldn't get rid of them). Now I hear that the Leafs won it in OT?!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Great game, perfect hockey conditions. It looks like there will be several more outdoor games this year, two in NY at Yankee stadium and one in.......LA??

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Ya I think they're overdoing it this year, I believe there are 6 outdoor games. It's a gimmick designed to get the US audience to watch at least One game a year. I guess I understand it a bit, but outdoor games are nothing special up here as you can find one on any pond on any weekend morning. Camera angles were terrible, the game is sloppy due to conditions, colour me less than impressed.

blade

Lurker
Jan 25, 2010
It was fun to watch today. However, it was a very choppy game.
I agree that they are overdoing it this season, but it's what the fans supposedly want. I like the one game in the US and one game in Canada.
There are still tickets available for the Ranger/Isle game. It's a tough sell for a Wednesday night game, but the NHL is expecting some of the Super Bowl crowd to go to the game.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just get a kick out of the snow and I enjoyed it thoroughly (shoot out win by Vancouver, Big Van). As the game was in the final 5 minutes, the neighbors called to meet them on the porch for pipes & cigars. I told them I had to wait until the game was over! (but eventually joined them for the first outdoor smoke of the year in 2014).
I would have guessed before the game, that the conditions would have favored the shooters but they seemed to favor the goalies until late in the game.
I remember skating outside in Maryland when I was a kid, but not a lot. Now, it never seems to stay cold enough to get a good freeze on any of the few ponds.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This just looks cool!
image.adapt.gallery.large.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I love it! It takes me back to the days of shoveling between periods and passing the blanket for a collection to pay for beer and goalie gear.
It's the same with football. Some sports are out-door sports, the elements becoming a part of the game. Basketball is an indoor sport, guys in their underwear running up and down the floor beating a rubber ball to death is for wussies that can't handle the weather. It takes a real manly man, very secure, to put on a garter belt and appear in public.

wingsfan

Lurker
Jun 29, 2013
I liked it all except the outcome of course, the atmosphere was great snow falling and just a huge crowd with 2 original 6 teams playing. I really like last night the showed the alumni game here it was great to see all the old players again.

I do think the league is way over doing it this year with 6 games I think it takes away from the main game that has become a New Years tradition.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
Overdoing it? Let's not forget that this is how hockey all started. It's great to see professional hockey played the old way. The joy on the players' faces were enjoyable to watch. The players enjoyed it, the fans enjoyed it, and it was a tight well played hockey game in adverse conditions. I still go back to the pond myself to shot some pucks around.
An interesting note, the CBC recently interviewed Bobby Orr, and he was emphasizing the skills that can be developed on the open pond instead of manicured ice.
At the end of the day, it was two of the original six teams, played the old way, in their old sweaters. I even liked the touch that Bernier put on with his toque over his mask.
It will be hard to cheer against JVR and Kessel at the olympics, but I will get over it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
canadianbacon: Fond memories! Sometimes the "rink" was a mile or more long. Hours of passing and skating, then I picked up the goalie gear at age 9 and hockey was never the same. Now we needed a net! If we could sneak on a high school rink with boards we were in heaven. It was a little tough sometimes in the evening with the lack of lights. Sometimes the old janitor would take pity on us and turn on the lights. The parents never had to worry where we were in the winter. We were on the ice!
It's a gimmick only in that it takes us old coots back in time to when the legs never tired. Any of you old rink rats remember using newspapers under your pants to protect your shins?
I'm gonna fill a bowl and lean back in the chair and draw mind pictures of good times well remembered.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I didn't watch it - I had another outdoor sporting event on my mind. :D

It's interesting to see that the NHL has picked up on this. Do any of you guys remember this one:

The Cold War
800px-The_Cold_War_UofM_v.s_MSU.jpg

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I guess I was just being a little grumpy about it because it doesn't show the game at the highest level. I wasn't factoring in the nostalgia. I get it I suppose, guess the Christmas Cheer is wearing off already and my cynical side came out to play.
Personally I'm watching the world junior tournament instead, in my not so humble opinion the very best hockey tournament on the planet each year. Passion and intensity not equalled in any sport anywhere at any time. The Stanley Cup playoffs are a war, not a tournament and the juniors are so much better to watch than a regular season NHL game.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
I agree with the World Juniors. My favourite hockey to watch hands down. That being said, I am an all round hockey fan, so I'm going to watch the winter classic regardless. Furthermore, I am a die hard leafs fan, and living in Alberta, I only get CBC and TSN games (until next year's Sportsnet monopoly). So if the Leafs are playing, and I can watch them, I'm watching them.
On a side note, my wife did get me a sign David Keon sweater for christmas. It will look good beside my signed Domi Jersey. I also found myself a Wendel Clark Jersey on Vancouver island over the holidays. That brings back memories as I played with his daughter when I was younger.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
I thought the game was AMAZING! but I'm Canadian and I love all hockey...............Go Leafs GO!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Did anyone watch the Blackhawk/Penguins game last night? Another snowy night! In the 2nd period, the puck was leaving tracks in the snow, that must be been tough. The players actually looked pretty miserable. As a Caps fan, it is always fun to see the Penguins lose. I still blame Bylsma for losing the Gold for the US....

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Hockey isn't really my thing but I kind of watched this while I was at a bar. My friends and I were trying to figure out where they were playing... and why it was outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.