PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Since the pre-season is right around the corner I figured I'd start up some discussion on the NHL.
Cup Champs- Boston Bruins. I think they retooled the team enough and kept the core together to go all the way and win it.
Calder- I'm gonna have to go with Seth Jones. I think he'll learn a lot with Webber and be a solid player.
Art Ross and Maurice Richard- I think these are both gonna end up on Ovie's mantle. He showed maturity in sitting out the All-Star game two seasons ago and really lit it up afterwards. After a rough start last year he ended up leading the league in goals. Personally I see the GR8 back to his hey days. I'm predicting a 50 goal 100+ point season from him.
Selke- I think this one goes to Patrice Bergeron. Hard to find a more solid two way player in the game.
Lady Byng- This one isn't really competed for much. My guess is Datsyuk or Bergeron.
Bill Masterton Memorial- I say this one goes to Dominic Moore. He took all of last season off to deal with the passing of his wife. She lost her battle with cancer. Even sitting out a season he's still made a very competitive Rangers squad. All the best of luck to him for the season.
Vezina- I think this one will end up with Tuukka time lol. He really came into his own last season. I'm sure King Henrik will be in the running as always though. I'd love to see Brodeur put together a stellar season and retire winning one more though.
Jack Adams- I think this might go to Alaign Veignualt (sp?). I think with the players already in New York he'll have one very competitive team that will go deep under his new offensive minded speed driven system.
GM Award- So far I'd say this one probably goes to Chirarelli in Boston. That was genius giving Iginla an incentive based deal so he gets his money and the cap doesn't get hit until next season. Plus moving Seguin and Peverly to Dallas for Ericsson was definitely a good move.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I have no predictions, but I haven't been this excited for hockey in a long time. Full season again.
My Senators should be a better team, but no one knows what to expect now that Alfie left. Spezza has to be our Captain...

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Another NHL fan here and a writer for Hooked on Hockey Magazine for the Colorado Avalanche: I'm stoked for a full-season this year and can't wait to see what the Avs do under Joe Sakic and Patrick Roy. Personally, I'd like to see Nathan MacKinnon get the Calder (great to see Gabriel Landeskog win it a season ago) but we'll see how it all shakes out next summer. I'm also a Bruins fan so it was disappointing to see them lose to the Hawks, but Chicago earned it and I wasn't too bummed to see them raise the Cup again.

wingsfan

Lurker
Jun 29, 2013
As you can tell by my screen name I am Wings fan, I think they'll show everyone they aren't going away yet. Probably not a cup contender this year but they'll should make a decent run.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Wings had a down year. Gotta do some rebuilding (though rebuilding for them merely means a short playoff run, lol) but they'll be back. As an Avs fan I cherish the memories of the intense rivalry they had in the late 90's/early 2000's but have since dropped the hatred for them -except for Bertuzzi- because the Avs haven't been the same since the '04 lockout and because I realized it was stupid to hate on a team that was comprised of nobody that was a part of that glorious rivalry. Sucks that they are in different conferences now.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Blue bleeding Toronto fan here...

Hoping the buds can build on last year and not let the awful collapse to Boston haunt them.

Heard a great saying about the Cubs and I have adapted it for Toronto fans.

When I die I want to have Leaf players be the pall bearers at my funeral so they can let me down one last time.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I hoping my CAPS finally pull their head out of their ass. Can't wait to see what Adam Oates can do with a normal off season. It's a tough new division we are in and there are no more gimmes like there was in the SE.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I'm pumped that the Jackets got moved into the Eastern conference. It means the Pens are going to play them at least twice in Columbus. Meaning that I can go to some games this year.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm excited to see the Jackets in the East now. I'm originally from Ohio so I root for any Ohio based team, aside from the Browns and Indians ofcourse, gotta live up to the Cincinnati/Cleveland rivalry lol. I think the move will help them. Less jet leg means they will have more energy late in the season.
I'm also excited to see what the Leafs do. I'm a die hard Bruins fan, but I'm also just a hockey nut so I'd like to see that rivalry heat up again. It's awesome hockey when historic franchises are elite level teams. For the Leafs sake I hope picking up Bernier doesn't mess with Reimer's head. He looked to be on his way to being a solid top five goalie in the league. That series wouldn't have gone seven games without him.
There was a lot of movement in the offseason and it'll be fun to see what happens to the teams and players with the additions they've made.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Haven't heard if he signed anywhere. The latest I heard was Cleary inking a deal with Philly, three years $8.25 million.
I did see that Iginla ended up in Boston though hehehehe.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
Jets fan here! Missed out on the playoffs last year(but not by much)so I'd like to see them make it this year. Plus, they're in the west now so we'll see how that plays out. As for predictions, I agree with lord, the B's are gonna be tough this season. As long as its not the Pens, I'm happy haha (sorry Sean)

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Brendan Morrow is still an unrestricted free agent. I don't think Modano ever recovered fully from Morrow replacing him as captain. Unsurprisingly a Dallas Star here, but I expect we'll suck for a bit more.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I'm used to getting some heat for being a Pens fan.
Iginla didn't impress me too much last year. I don't think he worked too well with the line-ups. He might do better with Boston. I was bummed to see Morrow not on the team. And Douglas Murray went to Montreal? Cripes.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Montreal is trying to get tougher, they also got Parros and drafted some big kids. Otherwise they'd be in for a long season. It's a very truculent division, if I may borrow the term...(Burke in Calgary!)

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was kind of surprised by Iginla's lack of point production. I don't think he played much with Sid other than the power play though right? I know they dominated in the Olympics when they were on the same line. Guess it just goes to show you can have all the talent in the world and it doesn't mean anything if chemistry isn't there. I think also, he didn't have much time to get anything going with Gino or the other guys. Having started the season now in Boston and getting the time in to read where his linemates will be will help him a lot. I'm guessing he'll be back to a 30 goal 80 or better point season.
The Habs must be getting tired of being called the Hab Nots lol. They definitely beefed up this summer. That's probably the best rivalry in hockey right now, Boston and Montreal.
I'd like to see the Jets make the playoffs. It's a team that I'm pulling for. Them and the Oilers.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I still don't know how we let Seguin go. He is so talented and no one could keep him focused. I think it is going to bite us in the ass big time. I will not be surprised when he is a 50 goal scorer and leads the league in scoring. I blame management and the coach for not developing him better. When he acted out he should have been sent down to Providence, he should have been made to realize his future was in jeopardy, trading him was the wrong thing to do. He is possibly the best skater in the league and you just do not give up on that kind of talent.
Yes the Bruin added a couple of nice pieces and the defense will be great along with Tukka, but we still have a pathetic power play and our goal scorers are still inconsistent. Bergeron is a warrior, but he is one last concussion away from retiring and I don't see him finishing the season. I don't know why we let Horton go. I think the B's will make it to the conference finals and lose there.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Don't get me wrong I was a big Seguin fan, but he had to go. His off ice antics were hindering his on ice performance. The more he was partying the more his numbers were slumping. Maybe he will blossom into a solid 40 or 50 goal scorer, but that won't happen until he gets his off ice issues ironed out and Boston has too much invested in this team to wait around for that.
I would have loved to have kept Horton, but Chiarelli had to choose between Rask and Horty and he obviously chose to lock down a solid number one goalie instead of a power forward with concussion issues. It was probably the best decision.
Bergy should be just fine. His last concusion was a while back and he's taken some big hits since then. He'll be around for a while.
Hopefully picking up Eriksson will rejuvenate Marchy. His numbers have fallen off a bit lately. Maybe in part due to Seguin's lack of focus. He has shown sparks though like in the Pens series.
All in all Boston is one of the most solid rosters in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.