PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
P&C has a 20% off sale on Newminster tobaccos for 1 week. I really enjoy the Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bulls Eye Flake and was wondering how Newminster's Round Slices compare. They look and sound similar but was wondering if anyone had smoked both to give me some insight.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Just ordered another pound of #403 ... love it!
LBF is a Va/Per with a center of Cavendish while #403 is a Va/Bur using Dark Fired Kentucky.
Different beasts but both great values and tasty smokes.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I really wish I'd of ordered some NRS from Cup o Joes before, except they had the description of them the same as LBF, so I figured there was no point in getting any. A Newminister blend that's really good is their English Oriental too.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Just my 2 cents here, I prefer PS LBF over the Round Slices. I am not a big fan of Kentucky Dark Fired tobac. Many guys here do like it. Good Luck Sir.

To me, the Round Slices seem more like what the new incarnation of Three Nuns should taste like, but the Nuns to me tastes acrid in the back of the throat. I cannot speak to the original Nuns, as I've never had it. But, give me Round Slices all day over the new Three Nuns. The Slices are much more sweet and flavorful without the nastiness, IMO.

Reactions: Singlebevel

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
@greyfoxactual - try contacting the company? Maybe they credit you the difference...

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have tried them both and like them both very much. It would be hard to pick one over the other but I might...just might...give an ever so slight preference to the Newminster Round Slices. Both have a place in my cellar. On sale you say....... :puffy:

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Thanks for the heads up on the sale prariedruid!
jkrug is right on the money. One is hard to choose, having both is optimal.
I'd also like to add No. 400 Superior Navy Flake is great as well. I was gifted some flakes and was surprised by how good they were. I've been meaning to grab a pound or two and age it along side my McC 5100 (jar it and forget it for 5 years). You do that and the straight Virginia part of your cellar is complete IMHO.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Love them 403 slices. Didn't care for the PS as much, and haven't bought it again.
I buy 403 in bulk and jar what doesn't go in my pouch or spare tin to take to work with me. Also use 403 as a "base" of a parfait at times, testing different pairings to see what what adds/subtracts in the blend. I set it beneath a weak self-made blend of Virginias that was flat. Just the ticket! Got rid of the Virginia without having to monkey with it -- stretched out my larder's 403 a bit farther.
Also do like the 400 flakes, but not as well.
I bounce back and forth in a day between 403 and Orlik Golden Slices, believing (so far) that one is a pleasure unto itself but an invitation to the other. Complementary.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
And no one makes a Va/Bur with a center of Cavendish? [;)]
I don't know ... typically, I avoid cavendish in my blends.
Which one are you referring too?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I was just riffing off the differences between the two:
LBF is a Va/Per with a center of Cavendish while #403 is a Va/Bur using Dark Fired Kentucky.
In other words, if a Va/Per with a center of Cavendish is tasty, and some object to the Dark Fired Kentucky at the center of the Va/Bur slices, I would what a Va/Br with a cavendish center -- more like the Va/Per blend -- would be like. It's an interesting split between the two types.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Being that Cavendish is a process, wouldn't some be made from Virginias, rather than burleys? I think most of the American Cavendishes are burley based, but maybe some of the English and European ones are Virginia?
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.