PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The Smoke: A quiet summer night in Texas, 90deg. F with a light breeze. I'm smoking it in my 1955 Kaywoodie Flame Grain.
Pouch note: Fairly Latakia forward with caramel Cavendish and the tartness of Virginia. Shawn struck it head-on sending this to me, knowing I like Cavendish and Latakia together.
The color is a mix of medium brown and dark chocolate and is a mix of cuts. Cavendish cut and ribbon.
Charring Light: Hello Latakia. No doubt I'm back on the dark side.
True Light: It is very smooth and pleasant with a nice mingle of caramel, a nutty Burley overtone and a bit of fruit.
The body of the smoke presents a mild, but flavorful mix of Cavendish sweetness and Virginia tartness that doesn't cloy or burn. The choice of Turkish makes it velvety smooth and as round as a stream bed pebble. The Latakia doesn't overtake the smoke at any time, but lends itself to whiffs and breaths of smoke and occasional meatiness that kind of reminds me of the aroma of grilled chicken. Add a glaze of cool sweetness and you have the makings of a pleasurable smoke here. Toward the end it sends out a coffee note that along with my chicken impression, reminds me of having home made Mole Chicken and coffee with one of my Mexican friends. I feel it is forgiving enough to make a superior introduction to Latakia for a new smoker and has enough of a solid palate to please a fire-in-the-face Balkan lover, such as myself. I really can't overstate the smoothness, either. You would seriously have to try to hurt yourself to make it happen! English Oriental would side well with a coffee or even a Rauchbier. The room note is mild and smoky and a nice mirror of the balanced pouch note. Thanks, Shawn. This one's a keeper. I ended the bowl with grey ash and the want of a second bowl.
Don't mind if I do!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Nice I'll smoke it tommorow and get my review up in the evening. Sounds like a winner!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm going to put my review of Newminster English Luxus on the same thread, mainly because it has the exact same ingredients as the English Oriental, just in different quantities. Also, I didn't feel as there was as much to say, in general.
This one I smoked in a leather-wrapped Longchamp billiard (like Elvis' Longchamp). It was much more Lat-Forward and Lat dominant and every bit as smooth as the English Oriental, but I really didn't get that same variety in flavor and smell that I got from the other one. If someone's only complaint about English Oriental was "More Latakia" this one would be good, but I couldn't see setting aside other Englishes like FMOTT or EMP to go for this one. It was just OK for me.
I think simnettpratt tried the same two at the Texas meetup and had about the same reaction, as far as I can tell. In fact, I think it was he who snatched up the last of my EO sample that day. That really was a good one. The better of the two IMHO.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Here's the big question though, how do they compare to Peter Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme and PS English Luxury? That's what I'm waiting for...
-Jason

Aug 1, 2012
You have just inspired me to find some of this tobacco and brew some rauchbier to go along with.
Sou

chawz

Lurker
May 29, 2011
Alaska
Just got my 8oz in and had my first smoke tonight. Creamy, burns well, fantastic smoke. And cheap too. So good I think it deserves an acronym, NEO!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Just smoke two bowls of PS Balkan Supreme and I have to say I like the variety in flavor and the very smooth nature of the Newminster English Oriental. I need to try the NEO again before I post up a review.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
:D Thanks for the references Baron. I love your reviews :worship: Thats why i grabbed another hand full of oriental and threw it in the bag right before i headed next door to the post office. OH, the post office love my new friends and fascination with quality smoke!!! They told me they know when im getting mail just from the smell and they like it. My normal mailman will have a gift in the morn. I'm setting him up with a sample pack and an old Grabow i have(not the one you gave me baron). I haven't been able to get to the forum like i like to because of a side job i landed finishing woodwork. I needed the money. It is killing my back, But it is only a week. My sons need school cloths.
I just received a sample of GH&C Balkan mixture and its so much like the NEO that if i didn't know better I'd say they were from the same mixing bowl. I love the PS Bulkan Supreme too Tucker. I'm all about Balkans. My latest Addition to My balkan collection is H&H Cerberus and Russ hit another grand slam with this stuff. Great. I am wondering though if my tin was like the bottom of the batch because it has a photocopied lable, and it was 90% dust. I keep getting a mouth full if tobacco on my char light :? It takes nothing away from the smoke flavor. It's an English lover friend. Great review Baron. Check your PMs. I have a surprise!!! I love the oriental though :puffy:

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Well Mr. Underhill, The Oriental is something unique and Balkan. I too only buy English/Balkan. If you want samples of the Oriental and Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme, leave your address in my inbox.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I've found that to be true of a lot of H&H blends, I end up with very fine crumb like tobacco. Even my most recent 8oz tin of Larry's blend is very crumby.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Thanks Shawn622. I love Balkan Supreme. I have pounds of it. Thanks for your offer. That was very generous of you to offer samples. I just ordered some Newminster Balkan to try. I hear it's pretty good. It's not to expensive either.
Your offer is appreciated.

Aug 1, 2012
My wifey surprised me with a couple ounces of this tobacco as well as 2 others. It was my first experience with an "oriental" tobacco. I've had a few English blends from different small B&Ms and they are OK. This stuff was an entirely new experience for me. I think I liked it but will have to have it a couple more times before I'm sure. For my untrained palate this stuff was pretty intense.
The wifey on the other hand hated the smell. I lit it in the entryway to our house because it was a bit breezy. She made it very clear that I can smoke this stuff on my own.
Also tried the Stokkebye Aromatic Dutch Slices. I'll have to try it again to make sure but first taste of that stuff was vile.
Sou

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Thanks for sharing your reviews, I will give the Newminster English Oriental a go, as I too enjoy these crossover styles. Mmm, Latakia and cavendish. Yum.

Status
Not open for further replies.