PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
In the last couple months I've come to really enjoy dark fired burley (Kentucky) as a condiment to my Virginia blends. It started with Sixpence..then Montgomery..Solani 660..and in searching for a bulk option, I discovered Newminster #403. The little sliced coins looked delicious in pictures and reviews were generally positive with keywords like spicy, sweet, and interesting.

So I ordered up an ounce from smokingpipes.com.

I guess it was the last bit, as immediately after my order it turned "out of stock".
It arrived yesterday and I decided to try it out in my new acquisition from Mr. Dave Neeb - an early 80s rusticated Becker Canadian with a tall chamber.

I balled up a couple coins to form the bottom layer, then rubbed out enough to fill the bowl. The texture and moisture content was perfect. Rubbed out effortlessly but wasn't crispy. The charring light gave me exactly what I was looking for.. a rush of spicy sweetness indicative of a healthy amount of dark fired kentucky burley.
After a few minutes of contemplative puffing it was plain to see this blend was unique. The spice flavor was strong, so strong in fact the feeling on my tongue could be misconstrued as tongue bite. BUT I don't think it was..as I didn't get the usual bitey feeling when taking a drink of water.

Aside from the obvious spice, there is an underlying smooth sweetness throughout. I found myself picking up my puffing pace.. wanting more and more of this unusual flavor combination. Even then I felt no real bite...just stronger flavors.

Looking forward to a second bowl today. I woke up this morning craving it!
Anyone else have experience with these funny little coins?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Does bite a bit, but has a nice flavor. I like it in a large bowl. Not a go to but an every now and then smoke.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I found it both bland and slightly bitey. I'm glad others enjoy it because it's cheap enough. Just didn't do it for me.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
A while back I decided to try it so I ordered a pound from pipes and cigars.....they sent me SIXTEEN pounds. They had no clue. They eventually sent me a shipping label and I returned 14 pounds since they gave me a deal of the remaining pound. So I was sitting on 2 pounds. I tried to like it. I tried every pipe I had. I tried every packing and prep method, but I just couldn't tame it.I bit the crap out of me. Every single time. I eventually just gave the roughly 1 1/2 pounds away.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Bite does seem to be a consistent theme for people..but for some reason it only nibbled me slightly.
More bowls are in order for me.

It is bitey, but I have found that every once ina while, the perfect dryness, the perfect pipe, I would get a fantastic sweet smoke from it. But, even when bitey, I'd take this any day over the new Three Nuns, which I think it's very similar. Not, the old version, which I have never tried. I put back a few pounds of it (not 16 ha ha) to see if some age might tame it down a bit.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I love it!

I rub out about 2 ounces at a time and mix in 22% blending perique from P&C and jar it up and let it sit for 6-8 months. It marries/melds the flavors nicely and provides a wonderful smoke. I have found that the longer it sits, the better it is.

dadgy

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2015
I love it mixed 50/50 with the Newminster Superior Navy Flake. The topping on the flake makes it a wonderful sweet and spicy smoke if I do my part and keep my pace down.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
#403 is good stuff for the price and I've put away a few pounds of it along with the #400 Superior Flake.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I discovered both the 403 (Burly/Va coins) and the 400 (VA flakes) a couple years back. I still have some coins and they're apt to bite you if you're not careful, but, as Mr. Cosmic said, when the stars align and this stuff is very very good.

If I were going to put some back for hard times, I think it would be the 400 VA Slices. The tin bag note alone is special to me.

I've moved through Peter Stokkebye, Newminster, C&D and now D&R as for bulks and each has some nice offerings.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
As some have mentioned, the 400 flake DID look and sound promising. The price is certainly right.. I'll pick some up with my next order.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
I like it. Appears to be similar to dark twist roll cake by Mac Baren.I believe they mfg.this for Newminister.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
A great smoke at a great price point when purchased in bulk.

I enjoy this one regularly and don't find it to be bitey. :puffy:

Reactions: Kilgore Trout

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
A while back I decided to try it so I ordered a pound from pipes and cigars.....they sent me SIXTEEN pounds. They had no clue.

I remember that, I would of kept it. If it were from a person, it would be different, but companies I view differently under capitalism. Considering they wouldn't even of missed it would justify my keeping it.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Good stuff! Best with a little age.

IMG_20160403_105918570.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.