PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
There is that old saw that goes, "You get what you pay for." and that is often the case. Every once in a while though, there is a pleasant notice that you've found quality at a lower price. With all the Esoterica hoopla, this is the other end of goodness.
Newminster is cheap. 5# goes for $106. With 100g tins around $20, you are looking at a pound in the same ballpark. Can't be very good, right? Wrong! At least that's my take. I like Virginia tobaccos so I tried three of theirs.

Newminster 701 Straight Virginia
(Same number as the Stokkeybe)

It has slightly lighter taste -- more of the fruity side. It a similar fine cut but not chopped; so the tobacco clumps -- think steel wool, if you like. You can easily break it apart so it no biggy. I've been smoking it for a while. It is a great early morning blend; but, I've enjoyed it throughout the day. It is your straight Virginia and just a good, fruity product that some might see as bland. I see it as a nice tobacco taste with less bite than many I've sampled.

Newminster 403 Superior Round Slices

I've had the Mac Baron Club Blend and PS LBF that this must be compared with. It will take a better palate than mine to be definitive here. Maybe that closeness is a compliment of sorts. This might be slightly sweater. The core doesn't seem as compressed as LBF. If I were blind tasting the three, I'd be in trouble. I might find small differences but I think they'd float back and forth in my mind.
Newminster 400 Superior Flake

LNF has long been one of my go to favorites. This does not take it on. The differences are obvious beyond the missing Perique. The slice aren't cut in half -- full length. The texture is less compact than LNF and a bit brittle which seems to indicate to me a less forceful pressing. It seems to contain a bit more of the bright Virginia. Missing is the bread side that LNF exhibits. It is more of the fruity Virginia taste.
I am enjoying all three and the 400 will get a lot of smoking here. For me it is best of the lot but I tend toward flake. The other two will be kept on hand to break the monotony. I really don't mind monotony when it is as tasty. The three are on the low side of Virginia bite. I only notice a bit when I get carried away trying to outdo a steam engine.
OK, the cost is surprisingly cheap but the tobacco shows great quality making it a real value. Give it a taste at least. With the Stokkeybe line being a volume brand, it looks like that is who they are taking on. Correct to some degree but these really stand separate and deserving of their own merit.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The newminister english oriental is one of my favorite english blends ever, I prefer it mm965 and pretty much almost any english blend I've tried so far, and it's only 35$ a pound.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I too, have been surprised by Neminster's quality -- and not just because they are bargains.

Thanks for the brief decriptions; they give a much deserved boost to some overlooked blends.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Newminster's 403 and 400 are my first blends that I have bought in bulk to start my cellar. Very good tobaccos that wont break you for sure.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
+1
I've been smoking Newminster blends (to save $) and they've been quite good. Some of their blends do give me a bit of bite (both aros and latakia), I can tolerate it, but wonder what ingredient they're using that causes it.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
@#6

I haven't experienced it with the Virginias -- at least not on a regular basis. I find it more free from bite than many Virginia products.
Bite is often attributed to aging. Younger tobaccos tend to be alkaline and that contributes to bite. They also say that younger tobaccos lacking finish release ammonia that contributes. But those Newminster have don't seem to fall in such a category. They seem to have the right processing/aging.
I do occasionally get some bite from a normally benign tobacco. Usually it some bit of mispacking. But it can be moisture levels. The ideal is around 30% in the pouch. I'm sure you know what proper level produce and doubt that isn't the problem. So, I can only recommend a bit lighter packing and maybe reviewing the moisture level. Packing can give me problems when I switch cuts and was use to something that isn't right for the new cut. It is a momentary laps -- usually where I just wasn't paying proper attention and doing the rote thing.
Good luck with resolving it; we all are there from time to time.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks jkenp. It is weird, since I will detect the same effect from many of their latakia's and aros, but not all. I almost wonder if it's a topping they use.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Maybe one of the others will have better info but I really don't detect a topping with the Virginias. Of course, the aros would have one. Maybe someone who has smoked the Lats will share more.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't smoke newminister to save money, I find the English oriental to be superior to any English blend I've tried in quality so far. When you're used to paying 35$ for a 50gm tin, 30$ vs. 60$ a pound really isn't much to think about.

newcastle

Lurker
Jul 16, 2013
When I first tried the Navy Flake I thought it was just OK. I tried it again a few months later when I found a few flakes left in the bag that I forgot to jar/smoke. This time I really liked it. I don't know if my packing skills got better or if it just needed to sit a little.
I am hoping the Superior Round slices will be similar. Mine were on backorder for 3 months and I only recently tried them for the first time.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Pease blends are my standard of quality. They are novel and complex. I taste something new every time I smoke a bowl of Cumberland. And Gaslight is one of the best blends I've ever smoked. I don't doubt that Newminster is working for you, but I'm really not very interested to spend my money and time trying them. John Patton Oriental Dusk is the best inexpensive tobacco I've smoked, whereas Cool Hand Fluke doesn't make me more happy.
Kudos to those who have found something new to like in Newminster. In the end opinions matter far less than anyone's inviolable smoking pleasure.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Hey Mike nice to see you here. Give my regards to your cousin Alfredo.
I know you've bounced around a bit as have most long term smokers. I don't argue Pease quality. I've an 8 oz of Laurel Heights aging away. I think we can say about any manufacturer, "Some I like better than others." and it doesn't detract from their work but reflects our taste at the time.
I don't know if you tried any Newminster. But, if you are basing it strictly on price, you might be surprised by the quality there. It has a lot of Va and I seem to recall that isn't in your wheelhouse. Still doing more Burleys, right? Don't know if the selection would suit you. But, you might find some tasty surprises. I was surprised by the obvious quality I found at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.