PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Hi Everyone,
I just got a couple of cob pipes in the mail and a few ounces of a couple of bulk blends. I've been a long time cigarette and cigar smoker, but I am brand new to smoking pipes. I'd never really been interested before, but I buy my cigarette tobacco and cigars from a place that sells pipes and pipe tobaccos, and I kind of just got intrigued. A lot of it comes from a desire for plain harm reduction. I'd have probably just smoked more cigars, but a couple of things changed my thinking. For one, I love 'em, but good cigars aren't cheap. The other thing I found myself struck by was the sheer variety of pipe tobaccos and blends available. In a lot of ways, I kind of see this as an evolution in my enjoyment of tobacco. The sheer variety of component tobaccos and blends available is truly wonderful. And if I spare my lungs some grief, that's just gravy.
So I bought a couple of cob pipes. I figure this will allow me to see if this hobby is something I enjoy. If I do take to it, I imagine buying myself some briars or meerschaums, but in the meantime, I intend to explore a variety of tobaccos, and to develop my tastes. The first 3 blends I'll be trying are PS Golden Dansk, Sutliff Medium English, and C&D Bayou Night. I figure this gives me an aromatic and a couple of non-aromatic, English styles to start with. I'll have to see how it goes.
Already in doing a bit of research, I have found a lot of great information here, and I appreciate it as a resource to learn more about the hobby. So it's nice to meet everyone, and thanks for all the great info.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Welcome. I feel the same way regarding pipes as an evolution in smoking enjoyment. I would also consider it a legitimate harm reduction strategy, except for tounge burn :wink:

Be sure to smoke sloooow.

Status
Not open for further replies.