PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

icentropy

Lurker
Sep 8, 2014
Hi all. Relatively new to pipe smoking. Been at it (very sporadically) for about 1.5 years. During that time i might have smoked 6oz.....maybe 8oz. I used to enjoy cigars (when i had a good excuse to spend the money). My favorite were Davidoff Special R.
I wanted to get into pipe smoking because i always enjoyed the smell of pipe smoke and frankly it's a heck of a lot cheaper so more enjoyment, less expense.
Because I was going for a pleasant smelling smoke i started out with aromatics. H&H anni. Kake, Boswell berry cobbler, vanilla cream and christmas cookie where the 4 tobacco's i bought 1.5 years ago and really the only ones i've ever tried. The left overs are now dried out and taste terrible. plus they burn my mouth out pretty darn good.
I'm wondering if there's other non-aromatic blends you guys recommend to a new smoker. Something smooth and wonderful like i remember those davidoff cigars being? or any other type of tobacco that would be mild for a new smoker?
Thanks for any suggestions

christiann

Lurker
Aug 31, 2014
Hi Icentropy, I'm relatively new to this fine hobby of pipe smoking but I'm willing to throw in my 0.02$ I think a good route to take is to try a blend from each of the major categories you might be surprised to find a blend type you like that you thought sounded gross. I really enjoy Dunhill Early Morning Pipe its a nice entry to the flavours of oriental and Latakia tobaccos its quite mild but none the less a good starting point. I also enjoy PS Luxury Navy Flake its a good entry into Virginia type blends with enough flavour to satisfy a new comer while still being a staple for the more experienced smoker. Good luck in your search for the right blend, its out there somewhere waiting for you to find it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
+1 PS Luxury Navy Flake. Sutliff Westminster is a good, mild English (non-aromatic) that you might like.

Nat Sherman 536, now available tinned from online retailers, is another, and is also quite an elegant and

refined leaf, if you want to spend a little more. There are dozens of others, but there are a two more.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to pipe smoking.

The advice I will give you is more general. Smoke the best tobacco in the best pipes you can afford.
Put your opened tin in a mason jar if you aren't going to smoke it all withing about 2 weeks. That will keep it from drying out.
And have fun! :puffy:

icentropy

Lurker
Sep 8, 2014
Hi guys, thanks for all the advice and the warm welcome. So many choices. Well I don't know why but i was drawn to Boswell's again. I think i just like the idea of buying from a small family business. I tried to get a little bit of everything.
4oz of Dan's Blend

4oz of sweet and mild

4oz of Northwoods

and a tin of Dunhill Early morning pipe.
Next order will be for the PS Luxury Navy Flake.
I only have the following pipes and i don't know if there's an issue with what tobacco type to smoke in what pipe or if a newbie like me could even tell the difference.
1 Brigham Moutaineer #23 (this is the one i use 90% of the time, started with it and have smoked only aromatics in it)

1 Meerschaum pipe (can't remember the maker off hand but inherited it from my grandpa-in-law) pretty small bowl

3 corncob pipes i got from a pipe&cigar starter kit years ago (barely used one, other two are new)

icentropy

Lurker
Sep 8, 2014
Got my tobacco a few days ago. So far I've tried sweet and mild and dans blend. I like them both. Both were very mild but had flavor for a newbie like myself. Tomorrow morning I plan on trying EMP for the first time!

icentropy

Lurker
Sep 8, 2014
Smoking some EMP now. I don't know if it's just me but the main flavor i get from it is what i would imagine smoking pine needles would be like. :D It sure is mild though and zero bite compared to the aromatics. It's a very nice change of pace. I can see it'd be good with some coffee and the aeromatics with a butter rum :D

Status
Not open for further replies.