PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
To celebrate IPSD I went and had a Pad and Tad fit.

Smoking Pipes was giving 10% off. I had an idea to pick up some tobacco. It wasn't long before I was perusing the pipe section and came across something I could afford and that appealed to me.

I have been favoring slightly bent and rusticated pipes lately and I loved the bowl shape.

I knew by the photo that the bowl was uncoated so I did some research as to how to break it in.

When I recieved it last night I had to decide what tobacco to smoke in it and grabbed a new tin of Dunhill 965.

I normally smoke mostly Virginia these days, but I like the cut of the Dunhill and it is pretty neutral.

I packed a quarter bowl and fired her up. I smoked slowly and when I finally finished there was only a bit of discoloration on the bottom of the bowl.

I know it is going to take a while to break this pipe in. I am in no hurry.

I was just curious to have some feedback on various break in rituals.

I am not too sure about adding honey or spit. I am going with the quarter bowl for the first few smokes.

Appreciate the discussion.
Jim
002-512-0466.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
I've not had an uncoated bowl before either, although I have one on the way. I've heard about the honey treatment, but I just can't see why I would want to put that sticky sugary stuff in my pipe (unless it's sticky sugary stuff in the tobacco) I can see it now... I put the honey in my pipe and the next morning I awaken to an army of ants that have decided to call my pipe their base of operations. I think I'll just smoke slowly with alternating between quarter, half, and full bowls.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Personally I am okay with coated or uncoated, but if I had to choose, I prefer uncoated. I don't think you have to worry too much. There's lots of opinions on breaking in a bowl, like only filling it half way, some say use as usual.
I would only just suggest that you make sure it doesn't get too hot to avoid a burnout (tho smokingpipes will replace it if that happens - another nice reason to buy from them).

zdwebb12

Might Stick Around
Jan 25, 2013
Smoke it. No need to put rum, honey, or anything else on the inside of the bowl. There is no need to fill the bowl to specific levels in order to break it in, or smoke it all the way through. The carbon deposit along the inside of the bowl known as cake will form as you smoke. Burning through the side of the bowl, the reasoning for special break in methods, is extremely rare. There are no cheat codes for a good cake, it must be earned over time and will make your pipe all that more special to you. -r/pipetobacco

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks for the responses. I really hadn't planned on coating the bowl.

I have broken in a couple of pipes and both were coated. I did nothing more than fill them and smoke them slowly.

I am just going to follow this formula again.

Thanks

Jim

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Jim that's a great looking pipe.
I've only ever put honey in a estate bowl that had some small cracks in it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never coated an uncoated bowl with anything. I have always filled it to the top, smoked it to the bottom and got a nice even cake that way. I have never understood the partial bowl fill up theory, to me it makes no sense.
That is a great looking pipe, congrats on your latest purchase.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That is a great looking pipe, I just bought a Savinelli from P&C and I'm looking at a Chacom myself at my local B&M. Lord help my poor wallet!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I smoke 5-6 bowls of Burley to break in a raw wood pipe. I don't really like Burley that much, so I'm always eager to get to MM965 or the like!

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Smoke it! The tobacco will do the required work. I love the virgin taste of briar. Those first smokes are gone quickly.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I also really like the taste of briar while breaking in a pipe. As for the actual breaking in I used to do the 1/3 bowls, then half and then 2/3 etc. Now I just smoke normally (although making sure not to puff it too hot).

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
The only thing I personally do with new pipes is to smoke them more slowly, to avoid letting them get too hot. I never had as much luck with partial bowls, and no way am I letting honey go anywhere near my bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.