PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I started smoking my legend in June. I was rolling my own cigs. I took to it quickly, so far. I've tried smoking very inexpensive RYO, and a few drug store brands. I've read reviews and topic threads about what's available and I've ordered and tried some nice tobacco from P & C. I find I like to smoke a variety during the day. I also like to get a bit o nic with my smoke. To that end, I have to tell you that G.L.Pease's JackKnife Plug is some smokin tobacco, even for a beginner. A tad expensive, but very satisfying all around. I've got some Escudo, and some LBE, and I like this stuff the best so far. I also smoke some OTC. so far, SWR and PA...just got the PA. SWR is excellent. PA so far shows promise. I think that I got used to the cut of the SWR and the PA seems a little different?...but, it does the job w/o adverse qualities.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
If you've already found JackKnife Plug, you're ahead of the game! :)
Hmmmm ... some HH ODF next? Check your PM's

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Newbroom, I love kick with my pipe baccy. Jack knife plug is delicious, one of my favorites. I have yet to get ODF but it's at the top of my TAD list. SWR is also my favorite OTC, very pleasant and simple. Carter Hall is no. 2, Prince Albert just didn't do much for me personally.
I think you might like 5 Brothers. Its an OTC that kicks like a mule; you can also use it for RYO. I used to roll it all the time, my brother called em' Cowboy Killers. I've since decided to stick to the pipe, and smoke it regularly. You might also like C&D's Burley Flake series and Hearth & Home Freight Train. They are all delicious and won't disappoint in the Vitamin N department.
Happy puffin,

BnB

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Since I started this thread, I've been binging on TAD & PAD, and have found that the OTC blends are very nice to have on hand. I've got three in my rotation right now and another one on the way today. I am expecting to receive some Half and Half, along with a tub of Mid Town Series Prince Andrew.

I've become conversant with latakia in a variety of blends and find that it is a welcomed ingredient in the occasional bowl.

I tend to smoke something different in each bowl I smoke during the day...at least 8 or 9 of em, so I do end up repeating some of these.

I've learned enough to begin to control my acquisition disorder and enjoy this delightful pastime with more of a sense of relaxation and contentment.

Sure, there are hundreds of tobacco blends I haven't tried yet, but, I've got the idea now, so that I'm not as anxious about missing something.

A tin of flavorful tobacco is always nice, but not always cost effective, and I've found some nice tasting bulk blends to keep on hand in addition to a growing cellar of Codger blends.

Thanks to cobguy, I got to try several VA flaked tobaccos. Navy Flake, ODF, and Erinmore, along with my own investigations into this genre which include LBE, LNF, Escudo, OGS, and Newminster 403.

From top to 'bottom' I find each bowl unique. I don't always get my pipe to smoke smoothly and sometimes have to fuss with my pack to keep it burning. I still tend to smoke too fast, but overall, I think I'm getting the hang of this.

I really have enjoyed participating in the discussions on this forum which have inspired me to pursue this endeavor on a level I had not imagined.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's a journey, for sure. There was a time, decades ago, when a smoker was loyal to one brand. He found what he liked and stuck with it.

When drugstores and B&M's were the only sources, I can see how that notion developed and persisted.

With the web we have easy access to so many blends it can literally take a lifetime to sample everything out there.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been having wonderful results by adding some cigar leaf to some of my blends and mixes!

I only have one cigar, and it cost me almost $ 10.00. When it's gone, I probably won't find that same one again, either.

Another way to spice up your smokes. I guess I should get some 'mixing' perique while I'm at it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Other tobaccos that can improve a home mix include C&D Dark Burley to bulk up a milder blend and add burley nuttiness;

black Cavendish (aro or non) to thicken the smoke a little and take out harshness; or McClellands Red Cake 5100, to add an

additional element of interest to blends without Virginia. Mostly, I enjoy professional blends that have been perfected by

the wizards of the leaf, but now and then, a little improvisation is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.