Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stavros388

Lurker
Jul 4, 2015
So I received a shipment of tobacco and decided to try the Full Virginia Flake. Finding it a bit moist I left it in my pipe bowl for a few hours and smoked it. Hated the first half because I had to work so hard to keep lit, absolutely loved the bottom half. Delightful!
Questions...
What does rubbing down flake tobacco mean? Does it improve the experience, and if so, how?
Is it normal to have to dry it out? How long should I dry it before I smoke it? I am smoking a bowl straight out of the tin right now and it is just way too much work.
Thanks kindly in advance!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
FVF, like all Sam Gawith flakes leave the factory wet. Gawith claims to only use water to keep tobacco moist whereas most producers in other countries use chemicals that do not require extensive drying. In order for it burn with minimal fuss you will need to dry the tobacco prior to smoking. If you're just starting off with FVF the easiest thing to do is to dry the flakes until you feel the threads break when you bend them. With some experience you'll be able to smoke it successfully less dry. Experiment and see what works for you.
The absolute easiest way I've found to smoke FVF and SG flakes in general is to lay out all the flakes on a layer of paper towels and leave them exposed to air until they feel firm and keep their shape if you pick them up in the middle (they will be rigid and won't flex easily). This takes at least a few hours and depends on your local humidity. More humidity means more dry time.
Once the flakes are dry, I'll take a pair of scissors and cut the flakes in to cubes about the size of a matchstick head. It takes a few minutes. Throw them all in a jar and you are ready to go. The tobacco should be dry enough to simply load your pipe and go to town.
I prefer to smoke FVF in flake form and do so probably 90%. But as a beginner there are better ways to spend your time.
Good luck, have fun and go slow. :puffpipe:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Yep ... good advice there!
The only thing I'll add is how to pack those dried cubes.
Use a gravity pack by tapping the side of the bowl to settle the cubes and then top them with some finely rubbed out

flake which acts as "kindling".
All things considered ... the dry time is of most importance.
FVF is a favorite of mine and is great with some age on it ... enjoy! :puffy:

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Yeah, you'll have a lot better luck drying it outside the bowl. Keep in mind that it sometimes takes flakes a little longer to get lit. You'll find it helps to gather up any crumbs from folding the dry flake and sprinkle it on top to give the flame some "tinder" to grab.

stavros388

Lurker
Jul 4, 2015
Update...
So following the advice here has been really helpful and fruitful. After a few somewhat successful (and a couple not so successful) bowls of FVF, I have really found that just the right drying time, and slow, patient puffing has made for a great experience. It is a trickier tobacco at first, but once I kind of got the hang of this stuff... Damn, it's really nice.
Thanks again for the tips, people!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
In my opinion, a folded flake delivers the best qualities of flaked tobacco. You can certainly rub or cube it if that floats y'er boat, but in the right pipe and with the right moisture content and technique, the more or slightly less intact flake is superior. I've experimented with most of the recommended or suggested methods and they will all work to help get the leaf to burn.

If you want ribbon cut tobacco, it's available.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I agree, newbroom. The more intact a flake remains, the better it tastes. Ribbon cut tobacco may well be available, but there's some pretty high quality stuff that is available in flakes or coins only. I can see where someone would want the convenience of a rubbed out smoke, but the quality of some of the flakes-only stuff.

stavros388

Lurker
Jul 4, 2015
Good to know, guys. I cut some into little squares (as suggested) and just shredded some. The bowl I just finished was about half and half, and the cut pieces were quite big. I had no problems with some folded, hand shredded burley flake a few months back, but it wasn't nearly as moist as this virginia flake. Perhaps I will just dry, fold, and smoke some FVF when I get another tin (which I'll certainly be doing!). Cheers!

acutabovebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2013
Patras - Greece
Or you can always do with a10 sec nuc and let the flakes breathe for five minutes and then load you pipe. It works for me and i don't find any taste differences

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I remember when I first tried to smoke FVF. I thought that it was downright nasty. Then a member here recommended that I let it dry for a full 5 hours! Smoked great with a wonderful rich Virginia flavor. It's now a favorite. Cubing it at the start cuts down the drying time. I've smoked it rolled and stuffed and cubed and I enjoy it either way.

The key to getting a good smoke is proper moisture, proper packing, the right cadence and the right chamber shape. With Virginia blends, narrower conical chambers and slow sipping does it best for me. No two tobaccos are exactly the same, so be patient when trying out a new blend.

stavros388

Lurker
Jul 4, 2015
Sorry, but what is a 10 sec nuc, acutabovebriar?
I dried mine for about three hours, and have been drying each bowl's worth of tobacco for an additional hour or two before I smoke it. I have had the best results with a narrower chamber, too. Cheers and thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.