PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Newbie here... am nearly 60 years old and having been raised in the PC world of non-smokers, I never had any inclination to smoke really. As a youngster I tried a cigarette or two but didn't like them at all. Over the years I've smoked cigars on social occasions but not too crazy about them either. Some better than others but don't really care for the smell.
When I was a kid, my dad smoked a pipe and as a college student, my mentor smoked a pipe. I loved the smell of the pipe smoke. Last fall I started feeling a bit nostalgic and decided to buy a corncob and give it a try. Had a lot of trouble keeping it lit the first time and got tongue bite so didn't try again until a couple of weeks ago. Second smoke went better (after watching a few videos and reading a bit) but nothing spectacular.
Then last week I pulled out the pipe once again... wow, it was great but my bride doesn't really want me to smoke inside and I don't like sitting on the patio just to smoke... prefer doing other things inside but I want her happy more than I want to smoke indoors. Because of that, I've only smoked a couple of bowls over the last week but find myself almost craving it. I'm amazed at how much pleasure I get from the taste, the aroma and even the very act of filling the bowl, lighting the tobacco and enjoying the smoke.
I think I'm hooked! (...guess you can teach old dogs new tricks)

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome to the forum. Here you'll find sure experiences, lots of good information, and many friends who share your love of pipe smoking. As you grow in experience, you'll have lots of questions, so feel free to ask away, someone will be there with just the right answer.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
apatim:
Welcome to the Forum!
Since we know you're smoking a cob, why not tell us what tobacco you're smoking and enjoying? That way, if you get the urge to explore in a certain direction -- and there are probably something close to 1,000 blends on the market -- we'll have a better idea of where to point you. Not that you have to explore, of course. But most of us like having a number of different blends around, to suit different moods.
Glad you stayed with a pipe long enough to get to the "enjoyment" stage!
Bob

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks guys... since I had no clue where to start with tobacco, I ordered a recommendation from Pipes and Cigars. It is Scotty's Butternut Burley.
I am already wanting to try others and maybe buy a better pope soon. Cost is not a factor but since I'm a newbie, I probably want to stay under $100. I've been reading and it seems everyone has different opinions and favorites so I guess I'll just have to go with my gut after reading and chatting with others and make a purchase.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Most time when someone says here that they've started smoking pipes they're a bit younger than you.If you enjoy filling the bowl you must be a real pipe smoker..Welcome..You will enjoy it here.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Welcome aboard!

Your experiences will only get better with time, especially when you no longer have to constantly think about keeping the pipe lit. You'll get to a point where you can just relax and enjoy it.

By the way, Scotty's Butternut Burley is a good one to start with!

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I suppose I've been lucky or just received great advice from internet searches but haven't had much of an issue with keeping lit. Just came in from enjoying a bowl and talking with the love of my life. Having beautiful spring-like day here in Florida today so perfect time for sitting outside.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Welcome apatim!
I'll give you the same advice I give to all new pipers - get a couple of Missouri Meerschaum pipes(one of our sponsors). They're inexpensive, extremely easy to smoke, good variety of shapes, and you've got a rotation started. Stay away from Chinese - chemicals and cheap construction.
You might like to buy small quanities of bulk tobacco (smokingpipes and 4noggins have it available) there are English and Aromatics available. Just store the tobacco is canning jars and you are good to go. Lane 1Q is an old favorite and what I started on.
Compared with the rest of the country, Florida sounds like a great place to sit outside with a pipe and a book!
Edit: I forgot to add that a Forever stem from Walkers will make the cob into an outstanding pipe - since they are a little pricey try the overstock area.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks plateauguy.
That's what I did... bought a couple of Missouri Meerschaum corncobs. Started with the filters in but upon reading the forums today, decided to take the filter out for the afternoon smoke. I didn't notice much difference so it makes sense to not waste money on filters. ;-)
There is a smoke shop a few minutes from my house that claims to have the largest selection of pipes and pipe tobacco in the area... might go check them out this week.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome to the forum apatim.
We've had many on the forum start pipe smoking later in life. I personally don't mind sitting out on the porch for a smoke. One of the joys of pipe smoking is just allowing myself to stop and relax.
I am a bit too fidgety to just sit in a chair without doing something - and pipe smoking allows me to stop, pause and reflect (to steal a phrase, "it's the pause that refreshes"). :puffy:
If you continue to like it, I'd recommend getting a quality briar pipe as well.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Welcome to the wonderful world of pipes, apatim!
The bit you said about keeping the wife happy is very important, especially in the early stages of smoking a pipe. When I first started, my girlfriend wasn't too keen on it, most probably because she lumped pipe smoking with cigarette smoking. For a while, I had a pipe just within her boundaries, just to keep her happy, and soon enough, she's nearly promoting pipe smoking for me. Buying me pipes, tobacco, and telling me to go smoke. LOL! Definitely a change of heart from the beginning.
Anyways, enjoy the pipe life, my friend!

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
You guys are great... thanks for all the sharing!
Yesterday my wife and I sat outside while I smoked a bowl. Later in the evening we were playing a game and I said I'd like to take it outside so I could smoke another. She said, go ahead and light up in here... it smells good.
SWEET! (I don't want the house to smell strong and therefore won't take advantage of this but will certainly go with the flow when she offers on occasion.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome to Forums. About half the Forums members are outdoor smokers out of consideration

for their spouses, so you have plenty of good company. If you'd like a good briar for not much,

try a Savenelli unfinished pipe, around $44 at Cup O Joes, among others. As you smoke it, it will

turn a gold brown, so you will "finish it" yourself.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Welcome Apatim. I'm 55 myself and didn't start pipes until spring of last year, having never been a tobacco user in any form before that. Yes, I'd say if you enjoy packing the bowl then you're definitely hooked. Everything I have learned about pipes and tobacco has been from the great bunch of people on this forum. I have several briars now along with a few corn cobs and many different types and blends of tobacco. It has been a blast getting to know the different flavors and profiles of each tobacco. No expert by any means. Am still a newbie, and learning new things every week. Take your time, sip slowly and enjoy!

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Welcome aboard! I was also a non-smoker for many years and finally took up the pipe in my 40s and have loved it ever since! Glad to have you on the forum.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome!
I started with a cob myself and I still love them. I even keep a few spares in case any company wants to try a few puffs.

Jul 12, 2011
Welcome to the brotherhood brother....Great first choice in bacci and pipe.
Some suggestions for both a great quality handmade briar pipe and bacci would be Boswell ( I have 5 of them and every one of them is an outstanding smoker from first smoke), they have outstanding aromatic bacci blends as well; Christmas Cookie, Berry Cobbler, Chocolate Cream, Piper's Pleasure all fantastic blends...
Some other suggestions for bacci would be Pipeworks & Wilke
Also don't just stay within the aromatic blend spectrum...you will get tons of suggestions for bacci, pipes, etc. here and all the brothers and sisters here are a great crew.
So I will start;
Other suggestions for great handmade briar pipes; Mark Balkovec, Mark Tinsky, Rad Davis, Jake Hackert, Ardor, Ser Jacopo, Claudio Cavicchi, etc. I could go on & on for great smokers but this list is a great start IMHO
Other non-aromatic bacci blend suggestions; Dunhill's Flake, Escudo, Solani's 660, 633 and Aged Burley Flake, Fribourg & Treyer's Cut Virginia Plug

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Just want to thank all who have provided great words of wisdom and encouragement.
I am enjoying the pipe more and more each day... kind of becoming an obsession of sorts as I ponder what pipe(s), tobacco blends I want to try next. I know I want a briar but am overwhelmed by the choices and information!
I really like the look of bent pipes but wonder if I would enjoy the smoke of a straight pipe better. Price isn't really a concern but since I'm new at this, I'd like to stay under $100 for my first purchase. As far as looks, I am drawn to sandblasted/rustic finishes and reddish colors (actually anything other than black for my first). Something like this:
pm-pbrtp1-clb-r_view10.jpg

My first tobacco was Scottys Butternut Burly - nice but not mind-blowing. Just purchased Ole Shenandoah Barrel #76 and find it to be a very easy smoke all the way through to bottom of the bowl. Son and Daughter-in-Law were over last night... they didn't know I'd taken up the pipe. Son smoked a bowl with me and daughter-in-law commented that she really like the aroma. Both said it made the house smell "cozy and comfortable".
I know I'm gonna pull the trigger on my first briar SOON... just not sure what to get yet.
Lovin' the new hobby!
By the way, I think I might just have a hidden pipe-smoker gene as I'm not having problems keeping lit or with bite. Could that be because of the corncob pipe and the tobacco smoked thus far? Beginner's luck? ... or just that you guys provide great advice and instruction? -- Yeah, that's the ticket... great support from a great community! THANKS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.