PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ml23

Lurker
May 14, 2012
Hello Everyone,
I would like to try/start pipe smoking but I had some questions concerns regarding selecting a pipe and tobacco, along with proper methods of lighting it. My concern is that I think I have, for lack of a better term, a sensitive mouth (really sensitive taste buds and prone to burns from hot food/liquid). Given this, I know that pipe smoking may not be for me but I'd still at least like to try it to see.
Therefore, I'm on a quest to try to achieve as cool a smoke as possible and avoid tongue bite to the greatest extent that I can. So, I'd like to gather some suggestions on what pipe types I should consider to reduce smoking temperature and what tobaccos I should match with it. Also, if the method of lighting the pipe has anything to do with smoking temperature and tongue bite, I'd like to learn the proper technique/methods.
Just to give an idea of the pipes I am looking at, I've been looking at straight billiards, Dublins, and apples (and their bent cousins) but also have been tempted by Churchwardens for their reputed cool-smoking properties. As for tobaccos, since I am new to this, I suppose I'd like to start with the mildest possible to see how my mouth reacts.
So, any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time and help.
Michael

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
I've never personally had my tongued burned from smoking and I'm not sure that it can happen unless your puffing like a steam engine. Even a churchwarden could burn you puffing like that though. Usually I find (ymmv) that smoke cools down very quickly the moment it's in your mouth and if you let it free close to your face it actually feels cooler than your skin.
Tongue bite though that's an entirely different thing. That's a chemical sort of reaction and wholly unpleasant. To combat that your best bet is proper pace and pipe material is another thing that can make a difference. A corn cob or meerschaum may make a difference.
The only way to know how you'll be affected by these things is to try it out really. I would warn you to be wary around most aromatic tobaccos though as they're the most likely to bite you, with Virginia tobaccos in second. I would also advise you not to drink anything carbonated with your pipe as it can give an unpleasant sensation.
Hah like learning to ride a bike. The best way to learn it is to get on and try to. We'll do our best to be the steadying hand holding the seat.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I been piping for 16yrs and am very fussy what I smoke. I am sensitive also to many,many baccys. For a new smoker with sensitivity issues, I would suggest a MM Cob and a pouch of MacBarrens Original Choice.(it is mild, flavourful and gentle on the tounge)

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
When for any reason my mouth is sensitive to the heat, I find that the churchwarden gives me a dry and cool smoke that doesn't hurt the slightest. That long stem really makes the smoke almost cold.
About tobacco, flakes burn to me with a lower temperature.
Be ready that if you use new pipes, they will generally be more unfriendly to your mouth than seasoned ones, and that until you find your own rhythm of smoking and cleaning the pipe, it is likely that you will stress the mouth more than in the future. So if you want to try, have a little patience before passing your decision.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Smoke slow to start with. Get a fairly thick-walled pipe with a conical chamber preferably and at least 5 inches OAL, a Dublin or a Bulldog/Rhodesian. Or a MM cob if you're on a budget but not the mini ones. I started off somewhat on the wrong foot, with very mild airy aromatics and a crappy drugstore pipe, and it was quite the bad experience. What taught me how to smoke at a proper pace was Peterson's Irish Flake, which packs quite the Nicotine punch.

That being said, Flake tobacco and English/Balkan type blends usually smoke cooler even with my long deep puffing technique....and they have enough Vitamin N to prevent me from puffing often.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Try a large bowled pipe. Gourd calabashes I've found actually smoke so cool they make my tongue feel cold, so I got rid of mine.
Drink juice, tea, or uncarbonated beverage as you get started. Don't let the hesitation stop you from getting into it, you'll have a lot of fun.

ml23

Lurker
May 14, 2012
Hey,
Thanks to everyone for the good suggestions. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum and I think I am going to really enjoy exploring the pleasures of the pipe thanks to the advice and wisdom I'm finding here.
If anyone has any further suggestions, by all means please let me know.
Thanks and all the best,
Michael

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Start out with a cob. Make sure it is a Missouri Meerschaum, not a Chinese pipe. Puff slow like you just barely want to keep the pipe lit. That's where the better flavor comes from. Practice makes perfect. Stick with it. It takes some trying until you get it right.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Welcome, Your doing the best thing you can by posting here, everyone's a friend.
+1 chispa.

being also new to pipe i just couldn't see myself with a cob. Now i have one in my rotation and it will do all you need for under $10.
Slow, slow, slow--- even when you think your barely drawing, slow down.....
Careful not to over do you lighting, not how many times but how long you leave the flame over the tobacco to light it. I fell into this because that was when i got the most smoke out.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Just look at some pipe smoking tutorials and try not to overcomplicate things. Get the basics of the ritual down and you will have years to fine tune and improve your enjoyment. As for pipes, get the best pipe you can afford. If you can drop $100 on a Peterson, they make an excellent pipe. If you are savvy and do your research, you can find some great pipes on ebay for under $20. Of course, there's nothing at all wrong with dropping $5 on a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob Pipe and another $5 or so on a pouch of Prince Albert or Captain Black. Some people live their whole lives smoking that way. What you like is 100% personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.