PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

withoutink

Lurker
Sep 11, 2014
Total newbie here. Never really smoked cigars or cigarettes... Played with a hookah for awhile. But that is about it ... As I am not 100% sure this is right for me, I wanted to start small. I read a number of posts that recommended to get a Meerschaum cob pipe. I watched some videos on Youtube as well, that reiterated that suggestion. So, I am game, plus i live in the middle of Appalachia, so it seems fitting anyway. I wanted to get the MM Country Gentlemen (hopefully with a wood plug).
As far as tobacco, I was thinking of getting Lane 1Q as I read a few reviews, that state this is a mild sweet, forgiving tobacco that is fitting for a newbie.
I was wondering what other tobaccos I might be able to try, that are sweet, smooth, forgiving and maybe a tiny bit complex to start with?
What are other accessories / ancillary items I need to purchase (to start)?
Lastly, since I live in the middle of nowhere... I will need to order my stuff online. Where is a reliable place that I can grab everything I need in one swoop.
Thanks so much in advance.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Go to any of the sites that advertise on Pipes Magazine. My favorite is Pipes & Cigars, but their shipping time kind of sucks. Smoking Pipes has the best shipping time.
tinner

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome! I might recommend grabbing two cobs,a bic lighter, and a pipe nail to get yourself started. (Sometimes things like 1Q can ghost or "scent" a pipe so the next time you smoke it you get that 1Q flavor again.) I usually headed to Smoking Pipes when I'm ready to order something (see link on the side).
By all means try out 1Q and see if you like it, but don't be intimidated by other types of tobaccos, such as Englishes and Virginias.
There are some fantastic bulks that you can grab an oz of to try.
I would recommend Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (there are lots of videos on how to prep flakes) it has a great citrus flavor. The same could be said for it's PS Luxury Bullseye Flake cousin.
While not a bulk, Orlik makes a very good starter Virginia (in my opinion, even though I don't smoke it any longer) in Orlik Golden Sliced. Very light, with very little bite.
Sutliff makes some very good choices at a very fair cost. I'm partial to Barking Dog and Bosporus Cruise myself. These lend themselves to a bit more English flavors, but I think they're fair intro tobaccos.
There are TONS more tobaccos and I'm sure some other folks will chime in about. One last thing I'll mention though is to pace yourself. It's a journey, not a sprint. Your first few bowls may be terrible. I bit the hell out of my mouth when I first started. The tobacco you may hate today may be a favorite tomorrow so hold on to it.
Gotta run. Keep us posted!

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I still use just a Bic lighter and tamp with my finger. You will probably want some pipe cleaners eventually once your pipe is broke in and starts to get dirty. I suggest buying several different styles of tobacco if you want to make your shipping costs worth it. Perhaps an aromatic, a Virgina blend, and an English blend. There are many options for each, but just ask if you are curious. I like Dan Blue Note for a beginner aromatic. Good flavor and room note. It can bite your tongue if you smoke it too fast, but I don't think that is bad- it just trains your technique for trying some fine Virginia flakes.

eusebius

Lurker
Jun 19, 2014
I'd drive to a tobacco shop, even though one might not be close. You can chat with the owner (or clerk). They can explain how to pack a pipe and will sell you a reasonably priced starter kit. I bought two corn cobs, 4 bulk tobaccos, pipe cleaners, a Czech tool, and a lighter for around 25. It was a good investment.

withoutink

Lurker
Sep 11, 2014
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the information. I will order from Smoking Pipes for my initial order. They don't seem to have the CG in stock, so I will order a Legend bent to start with.
I will grab a cheap Czech Tool, Pipe cleaners too... some filters too, in case i prefer it filtered.
As far as bulk tobacco... how many smokes would one expect to get out of 1oz? I was thinking of ordering a few 1oz samples.

withoutink

Lurker
Sep 11, 2014
Here is my order so far:
2 - Boxes of Medico Filters

50g tin of Golden Sliced

1/2oz of Gaslight tobacco - free

75 - Bringham Regular pipe cleaners

1.5oz of Sutliff Molto Dolce

1oz of Stokkebye Luxury Navy flake

1oz of 1-Q

1 - MM Legend Bent

1 - Czech tool the cheap $2 one

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Hello Withoutink and welcome to the forum. Great bunch of people here who will always be willing to provide helpful answers.
Good list of starter tobacco; I would echo Dan's Blue Note as another great starter aromatic; and while I've never had it, Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream is supposedly a great aro that doesn't smoke like hot air (unfortunately, some aros are known to do this).
When you're ready to try an English go for the the Frog Morton series-Cellar and On the Town are my favorites. They're considered "English cross overs" and quite tasty.
Try your cob with the filter and without the filter--while I generally prefer the filter most people here go without--have fun experimenting!
Packing tips--this is a particularly good video that shows you the "Swirl Method;" plus, David McGrane's voice is legendary on this forum--He's going to show you "the right way to do it." Make sure you "tease the top."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XHYPso7TXs
Simple and yet a rabbit hole.
So true, rsuninv!

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Yeah, Gaslight is definitely better for the mature English blend palate. Make sure that the pipe that you are buying actually takes filters- not all do, I am not sure about the MM line. FYI filters suck.

withoutink

Lurker
Sep 11, 2014
I must say, thanks everyone for their kindness. I can see you are honorable gents. Much appreciated.
I started a WishList on Smoking Pipes, and added Blue Note, Frog Mortons Cellar, Bagpipers Dream, Dunhill London Mixture as well as Ashton Consummate Gentleman (the last two were recommendations from another person) he noted they are more natural.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I haven't tried London Mixture yet but from what I hear that would be an awesome first English blend. Dunhill 965 is more popular, but London Mixture should be mellow enough for a beginner. You definitely should try a good Virginia though, like that Orlik Golden Sliced. Like others said, this could be a long term experiment. I hated the first English blend that I tried, but now I really enjoy them. I used to smoke aromatics 90 percent of the time, but now I never do, Virginia blends are now my favorite. More than one pipe might be a good idea if you are just using cheap cobs anyway.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
After you get into it a bit just shoot me a pm. Id be glad to send some samples to you.

withoutink

Lurker
Sep 11, 2014
I had hoped to get my stuff today, but tracking number says Monday. I guess I have a reason to be excited for Monday. I'm heading out to a larger town today. I believe they have a cigar and pipe shop. So I'll see what they have. Hopefully it's not a total let down.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forum and to pipe smoking.

I think you did well with your first order. Order small amounts of tobacco until you know you are going to like it - don't order a large amount just because it's a good deal.

And my standard advice: Smoke the best tobacco in the best pipes you can afford. :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You may have an advantage over an experienced smoker when it comes to pipes. You could arrive at a nice puffing pace more quickly than someone starving for nicotine.

The cob burns cool and its draw is open. It's pretty much foolproof. The hardwood bottom isn't important imho because I rarely burn to my cob stem, even, let alone to the bottom.
I recommend a 14oz can of Sir Walter Raleigh. It will be there for you. Just like the cob. (I haven't yet tried Carter Hall, but I have Prince Edward, and I like IT too, but the esthetic of the SWR hits me better)
Those others are all great smokes... +1 on the LNF, however, these are non aromatics...some newbies are looking for those, which I believe would be the 1Q, or maybe it's considered English?

Mar 1, 2014
-withoutink
Here is my order so far:
2 - Boxes of Medico Filters

50g tin of Golden Sliced

1/2oz of Gaslight tobacco - free

75 - Bringham Regular pipe cleaners

1.5oz of Sutliff Molto Dolce

1oz of Stokkebye Luxury Navy flake

1oz of 1-Q

1 - MM Legend Bent

1 - Czech tool the cheap $2 one
I am so envious that you got that for your first order. Good stuff all around and with my three favourite categories covered (Latakia, Virginia, Aromatic).
I wouldn't be so sure about calling Gaslight a blend for a "mature palette", it was one of my first Latakia blends and I loved it immediately. It all depends on how much you enjoy the smell of campfires. The flavour is on the salty/savoury side, not sweet, so it's just different, but definitely still good.

I would even recommend Ten Russians just because of the strong flavour I got from it, but that has a stronger "tobacco" smell where Gaslight is more of a pure campfire, and so I think the aroma is nicer.
Definitely get Frog Morton Cellar, and definitely get a tin of Escudo (or St. James Flake, but it's almost never in stock). LNF should fit the bill for a good Virginia, but Escudo will have the edge.
Also I can't help but recommend one of my personal favourite aromatics, Sutliff Frosty Mint. It's a "kick you in the face" flavour, not something you smoke for the tobacco.

For a good comparison, it reminds me most of a strong mouthwash. Very unique experience, though most will not say they like it.

withoutink

Lurker
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks everyone. I ended up near a pipe shop today, about 40mins away from my house. Even though I had stuff on order, I grabbed another MM Cob, 1oz of 1Q and 1oz of Stokkebye Optimum.
I tried both tonight, letting the pipe rest awhile between. Both sessions and all I taste is ash and bad smoke. So I'm doing something wrong. Anyway, the pipe shop owner packed my first bowl for me, so I'm pretty certain that wasn't an issue. I did two char burns. With a pause and a light tamp between. Them relit a few times, never saw an ember or cherry. But it was smoking. Just more like an exhaust pipe instead of a tobacco pipe. I couldn't taste anything from either of these aromatics. Just soot and chimney ash :-(
I tried hard to go slow. To not pull too hard or often. Not sure idid any of that right. Anyway, have a great night.
Matt

Mar 1, 2014
That's really odd for 1Q. Was it still moist?

I opened a tin of Haddo's Delight yesterday and it was dry as a stick and tasted like one too. There was a little flavour in the bottom but not enough to be worth smoking, so that tin will get to be one of my "home made aromatic" experiments.
Gaslight might be your next best bet, from what I can tell it's hard to mess up Latakia.
One thing that I never fully wrapped my brain around though, is how much break in your mouth actually needs. I know for sure that my first bowl was a train wreck, but opinions vary as to whether or not your mouth goes through a transition or you just get better at smoking the pipe.

Smoking slow never goes out of style though.

The latest revision to my technique is just to keep the smoke in the front of my mouth, the softer back tissue doesn't seem quite as up to the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.