PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhowrd

Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Greetings,

I just finished my first bowl ever. I picked up a Paronelli with a slight bend at the recommendation of a good customer who is also a pipe smoker. Two things are on my mind about this new experience; first I packed a bowl that when tamped was only about half of the way up the bowl and I had a heck of a time keeping it lit, is it possible I didn't pack my pipe with enough tobacco? Or could this just be part of the learning curve?
Second, towards the end I heard a sucking sound (not like the gurgle of accumulated moisture) and it became even harder to keep the tobacco lit. Again, is this normal as the tobacco is consumed, or is it part of the learning curve?
I am not new to smoking tobacco, I actually work for a cigar manufacturer, but I am very new to smoking a pipe. My overall experience was very enjoyable, I kind of wished I bought two pipes so I could try another bowl tomorrow, but the intense sucking and multiple relights (especially towards the end) caused me to experience tongue bite and I'd like to minimize, if not eliminate, that sensation as quickly as possible.
Cheers,
H

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
mrhowrd, welcome to Forums. For your pipe packing and smoking questions, start by reading the featured

articles listed in the left margin of the home page, especially Packing Methods Parts 1 and 2, and Pipe Smoking

Tips. Also, read the guidelines on doing posts; the headlines have initial caps, just to keep the format

consistent. There are other techniques to learn, using a tamper and maybe slowing down your cadence on

smoking so you get an even burn. Forums members often suggest that beginners buy one or two Missouri

Meerschaum corn cob pipes, which are really inexpensive, to give them a rotation so you can let your briar pipe

"rest," and still smoke on consecutive days. Lots to learn here, but if you enjoy it, it's a good hobby. Forums

members often say, they've been smoking for five, fifteen, thirty years, etc., and are still learning and enjoying

the process. Welcome aboard.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Greetings mrhowrd, and welcome to the forums.
Keeping a bowl lit is something that takes quite a bit of practice along with the packing of the bowl. as far as your first bowl only being midway up shouldn't be a issue as some say pack it half full for a few bowls to develop some cake at the bottom. Here is a old saying on packing a bowl,

3 Layers

Pack it with a baby's touch; pretty light and springy

Pack it with a mother's touch; little thicker and still springy

Pack it with a fathers touch; thicker and still have some spring

Shouldn't be hard to draw, but little more resistance than what it would be unpacked. That has worked for me quite well, I have also just scooped the baccy into the bowl and at first was hard to smoke but as practice went on I got better.
As mso489 check out the starter area too. See you around!
About the sucking sound was it hard to draw? I am not that great at getting the last bit in the bowl myself as it just seems the airflow down there doesn't want to help keep the front of the bowl lit as well, and I have to relit a bit more there. If the baccy is too moist that could be a issue I don't think it will always gurgle. The bite was most likely from trying to draw so hard to keep it lit. Hope this helps and there are going to be others with way more experience than myself that can help even more.

Happy piping.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Mrhoward
Welcome to the forum!
The advice given previously is excellent, especially about pursuing the videos and articles on pipe smoking, filling, and care of one's pipes.
As mentioned in earlier posts, packing a pipe is a skill, and I know that I'm still experimenting with different methods. Never to old to learn new tricks.
Alot of tobaccos that are tinned come out very moist. Generally speaking, if they are too moist they will burn hot and not evenly, needing many relights and often a burnt tongue.
Why not try to test the tobacco first by pinching some with your fingers; if it stays 'clumped' it may be too moist to smoke. Let it dry out a while before loading your pipe. It should really fall apart when dropped and then be ready to smoke. If you are smoking aros such as 'drug store blends' the poly glycol in them will take a very long time to dry out. (used to keep them moist forever, almost).
I have found that a too moist tobacco loaded in my pipe will burn very poorly and cause many relights as well as an unpleasant experience.
Pipe smoking is not like cigar smoking. It takes some time to perfect and really well worth the effort.'
Good luck and keep trying!

mrhowrd

Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Thank you all for the advice, I will be sure to look at the content throughout the site and hopefully participate in more postings.
Cheers!

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
welcome mrhoward... there is tons of great information on pipe smoking on this forum. It takes time and patience to perfect the art of pipe smoking, but dont give up and I hope eventually love this lifestyle! As for packing a pipe I started out with the 3 layers method but eventually moved to the Frank method. I have had much better luck with this method. Good luck and welcome!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard. As folks have pointed out, it does take time to learn to properly pack and smoke a pipe, but it's worth it. You need lots of patience. :)
If you are going to smoke your pipe a lot, and need several pipes to expand your rotation, cobs are fine. But if you don't plan on smoking your pipe that much, one or two will do to start. I always tell new folks, smoke the best pipes and tobacco you can afford. Don't buy cheap stuff to save money - you will enjoy the experience more with good quality.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Sounds like you probably packed it a bit tight, and your tobacco might have been a bit moist. Next time, try letting your tobacco dry out for 30 mins or so before you pack the bowl, and pack it a little lighter. Everyone's advice to read up on packing techniques is right on. Read and learn.
Then....learn to be patient. This hobby has a long learning curve, and we have all been there. My other piece of advice I often give:
Be okay with relighting many times. Just build a bridge and get over it :) In time, you will get better at prepping, packing, lighting, and smoking, and you will find yourself lighting less. But for now....no sweat. Just be patient, enjoy, read, glean information from this forum, and be blessed!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mrhowrd, welcome to the site. Read all you can about the fine art of pipe smoking as it really is an art. The learning curve is nothing like cigars. It takes time and patience to become a pipe smoker. Drying your tobacco properly, packing it properly, smoking it properly is something that it not intuitive. As Jud mentioned, buy the best pipes and tobacco that you can afford because it will add to your enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.