PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pustolov

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
Hi everyone. I'm absolutely new to pipe smoking. As a matter of fact I don't even own a pipe yet. Recently i started doing some research on the pipes and of course got overwhelmed with info. Now I smoke cigarettes for last 13 years. Smoke about pack a day-20-25 cig. I would like to switch to the pipe smoking if I can. My question is how many bowls a day would equal pack of smokes? Also am I able to fill up the pipe and smoke a little bit and then put it out, come back in an hour or so and continue smoking. Would that taste bad ? Do I have to finish a bowl one I started? I know some of you guys would get a good laugh out of my questions but like i said I have no idea what I'm getting into.

Thanks in advance

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Welcome to the forum! Can't help you with the cigarette question. Most pipe tobaccos are very amenable to relighting, even after an hour or more. I do it often on weekends when working around the house.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Pustolov, welcome. There is not a good conversion. Each type of tobacco has different amount of nicotine so it is basically something you will have to feel out. You dont inhale pipe tobacco(it makes your lungs hurt) so I wouldnt reccomend it. Also the nicotine is absorbed by your mouth so it may take a bit longer until you get some nicotine. My best suggestions is use it to keep your hands and mouth busy when you want a cigarette. As far as relighting, aromatics aren't great for that in my experiance, unflavored and english blends do better. Buy a cob, some carter hall or other over the counter tobacco that isnt flavored and go to town. Just remember, it may take an ounce of tobacco to get the flavor of it, smoke slow and dont be afraid if you have to relight some times, It like lighting a cigarette- it takes time to learn, now after 13 years you dont have to think about it, thats how packing a pipe is at first. Good luck!

pustolov

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
Thanks for the quick replies. First of all I would like your guys opinion about a pipe i'm looking at

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221251351306?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I know i would need to buy a few that's why i'm looking at something that is more on the cheap side. Do you guys think this is a good first pipe? Also is there any recommendation for non flavored tobacco that i could buy from cigars and pipes.com? Seems like they have really good price so i could pick few kinds to try.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
great reply roth +1
The advice I would give to an cig smoker id don't take a drag on the pipe like you do a cig, you will burn the shit out of your tongue (speaking from experience) and if you want a nic hit pick up some 5 Brothers tobacco. Pick up a few MM Cobs and be patient. I am STILL kickin the nails went from 1-2 packs per day down to just maybe a pack a week since starting the pipe back in November. I do still crave a cig once in awhile but the taste like shit compared to the many pipe tobaccos I have smoked. Cigs are a Hard habit to break, the pipe is a great hobby to start.

Welcome to the Club :puffy:

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Welcome to the forum and the hobby! I suggest you just take your time and be patient with this hobby. There is ALOT of information on here and on the web in general. Patience is key with everything pipes and pipe tobacco. I'm fairly fresh getting back into it, 7 months now, and I haven't touched a cigarette since. In fact I can't really stand the smell of them any more.
Just read around on the forum and ask questions, we will chime in and answer the best we can. Check out some etailers for your pipes and tobacco. 4noggins is excellent IMO, I've heard good reviews about Cup O' Joes, SmokingPipes.com, and BriarBid. Check them out man, you never know what you might find.
Happy Puffin' :puffy:

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
Welcome Aboard, Quitting nails is the toughest thing I've ever tried to do. I smoke my pipes all day now and still get a craving for a cig every once and a while. I have though through smoking my pipes gone from a pack to 2 packs a day down to 4 or 5 a day and hopefully soon it will be none a day.

The pipe that you gave the link to looks like a pear wood pipe they are ok, I have one and smoke it when I'm working around the yard or whatever, if you want some good cheap pipes, I would look into the Missouri Meerschaum Grab Bag, they are corn cob pipes but for the price you can't beat them. Hope you enjoy your time here and happy smokes :puffy:

pustolov

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
Thanks all for welcomes and good advices. I'm sure I can at least cut down on cig smoking. I will probably smoke them at work since i only have 15 min breaks so usually there is a time for one smoke. Could you guys recommend some good NON aromatic tobacco to try. I would really appreciate it

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Some non Aro Tobaccos to try would be Carter Hall & Prince Albert both OTC's and usually readily available, If you have a B&M close by or plan to order online from one of our site sponsors a few to try would be MacBarens London Blend, MacBaren Golden Extra, Frog Morton Cellar (my personal favorite), and 5 Brothers.

There are a lot more that I am sure others will recommend but these are really good IMO.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Thanks for the quick replies. First of all I would like your guys opinion about a pipe i'm looking at

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221251351306?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I know i would need to buy a few that's why i'm looking at something that is more on the cheap side. Do you guys think this is a good first pipe? Also is there any recommendation for non flavored tobacco that i could buy from cigars and pipes.com? Seems like they have really good price so i could pick few kinds to try.
I'm no expert, and though I've been smoking for years I've only started learning how fairly recently. But I do have an opinion on the pipe you've listed.
From the looks of it this is sort of a knock-off pipe, so to speak. Now, I've bought a similar pipe before and I do still smoke it to this day, but that's because I only have a fledgling collection. I can say with 100% certainty that if it was the first pipe I ever bought, I would not still be smoking today.
My advice would be to ditch that one and consider a corn cob pipe -which are very inexpensive- or a refurbished estate pipe. If you would prefer to buy new, I would suggest going to a local tobacconist and having them set you up with a basket pipe ($25-$40 where I live).
Edit: Hopefully a more experienced member can either validate or correct my assertion as I'd hate to lead you astray.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Welcome. No laughing here -- we were all new at this once. I would second the comment about trying a corn cob or two (or three). They smoke well and won't break the bank.
As a former cig smoker (been years now), I would also recommend Carter Hall. Easy to obtain, relatively inexpensive. Despite smoking many other blends, I still like CH -- many do -- and crave it when I haven't had it in a while. If you read tons of reviews on CH you'll find, every once in a while, that someone doesn't like it and they will say that it tastes just like cigarettes. While I don't quite agree, there is some similarity and that is probably just the ticket for you as you try to make the conversion.
Once you get the hang of the pipe, and it is an art and it will take a bit of time, you'll get interested in trying some other blends. Particularly if you read the reviews and comments on this forum.

pustolov

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
I've placed an order for 4 different kinds of tobacco.

Borkum Riff Cherry

Cavendish Pipe Tobacco
Middletons Apple Tobacco
MacBaren Old Dark Fired
Carter Hall Pipe Tobacco
I will try these for now and see how it goes. I honestly dont like the looks of the corncob pipes but on the other hand i've read that they are great for starting smoking. I would probably pick one up and give it a shot.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard and to the world of pipes.
I would skip that pipe you linked to,myself. If you don't want to do a cob,and don't want to drop a lot of money on a pipe for whatever reason, I would talk to whoever you ordered your tobacco from.
I would also guess that your BR and Middleton blends are not gonna DGT well. The lower the quality of the tobacco, and the higher the amount of junk sprayed on it, the less apt the blend is to survive a DGT. TBH, neither of those are high quality blends. The ODF should work well in that regard. I dunno about CH.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Welcome pustolov. You've had some great advice on getting started, by a few of our esteemed members. My advice is regarding the tobaccos you've chosen to buy. Save the MacBaren ODF till last, it's quite strong from what I've read, not having tried it yet myself. You should go gently into a new tobacco, until you've learned the basics, and how to truly enjoy pipe smoking. The ODF sounds delicious and I'm ready to give it a try, but you may be put off if you sample that one first.
Good luck, and again welcome.

pustolov

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
Again thanks for all the info guys. I'm wondering why you think the pipe that i posted is no good. It's a briar pipe and I thought thats the material to go with. I bought my tobacco from pipes and cigars.com . They have a wide selection of pipes and there are some in a range of 50$. I'm thinking site like that wouldn't sell garbage pipes. Maybe i'm wrong. I will definitely buy a bit more expensive pipe if i get into this hobby

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Well, I was referring to the one on eBay. I see nothing that says that the pipe is briar. I have this deep skepticism about the quality of a pipe that costs $17, and no indication of the material. It may be fine - and then again, maybe not.

Pipes and cigars is better bet.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
If you're a cig smoker looking to wean, I would recommend Peter Stokkabye Turkish in bulk over Carter Hall. CH is good, but Turkish will be much cheaper in bulk and is closer to the taste you're used to, without the heavy chemical dosing of cigarettes.

pustolov

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
Jud it says briar right in the title

CONCH & pouch - Thematic Handmade 6" Briar Tobacco Smoking Pipe CONCH

I mean it could be any material since i never held briar pipe in my hand and can't tell the difference. I'm hopping its not a scam
Sothron thanks for recommendation. I will see to get that kind next time I place an order
Rothnh - Not really sure how I feel about previously owned pipes. I didn't look at the sites yet but I'm sure you guys know when they restore pipes do they change mouth pice?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
The stem is typically cleaned with alcohol. The advantage of an estate pipe, especially to the new smoker, is that you'll get 2-3 times the pipe for the money and, most importantly, it'll already be broken in. This will add tremendously to your smoking experience

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
The reason I think that, though it may be briar, it is probably not a great choice is based on the general look and sheen of the pipe as well as the seller. It looks very similar to the cheap pipe I mentioned I have. Don't get me wrong, it absolutely can and will smoke, but the difference between that pipe and well made pipe from a trusted brand is remarkable.
It definitely has a "Made in China" kind of look to it, that, from my limited experience, I just don't trust. At $17 bucks you could easily walk into an estate pipe, a couple cobs, or -for just a little bit more money- a basket pipe from your local tobacconist will most likely provide a better smoke.
And as for the reservations about pre-smoked pipes, I totally understand where you're coming from. But this forum is a treasure trove of info on cleaning, sanitizing and restoration. And the conventional wisdom is that only the best pipes survived long enough to be passed into other hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.