PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulthepipe

Lurker
Mar 12, 2012
Hi Everyone!
Paulthepipe here! I am an ex-smoker of cigarettes (given up for over 2 years now!) enjoyer of cuban cigars (been smoking them fairly regularly for about 2 years now) and brand new pipe smoker!
So new to pipe smoking that after I bought my very first briar no name rusticated bent stem at the weekend, I have just literally today began the process of breaking in my new pipe with my first ever third of a bowl of Mac Baren Vanilla Cream! Decided to go straight with a briar but nothing too expensive, invest the time in breaking it in patiently and go with the aromatics to start with.
Looking forward to conversing with people on here and enjoying my journey!
All the best everyone!
Paul

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Welcome to the forum paul. Be prepared to interact with some of the most knowledgeable and generally awesome people around. I will say that I, too, started with the aromatics and have recently started a dislike for them as they tend to lack the depth of "flavor" that I enjoy. I know it's difficult in the UK to acquire tobacco, but branch out and also get a few more pipes for a decent rotation.

paulthepipe

Lurker
Mar 12, 2012
Thank you everyone that has extended a welcome! I am really quite excited to be embarking on this new hobby/experience/lifestyle.
Mlyvers - Thanks for the advice! I will do just that! Half bowl here I come! :)

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Welcome here is some free pointers to help you out. Enjoy the experience.
Words to live by for Pipe Smokers.

Make sure that your pipe is cleaned before loading and packing fresh tobacco.

Use Less Tobacco Than You Think You Need.

Pack Looser Than You Think You Need To.

Always Check the Draw of the Pipe Before Lighting.

Always leave at least 1/8 of an inch of space from the top of the tobacco to the rim.

Perform a Charring Light.

Tamp Less Frequently and With Less Pressure.

And its ok to relight.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Paul glad to have you with us. Remember pipe smoking should be relaxing and not stressful.

Cheers

Jeff

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Welcome aboard Paul !
Much has been said already and yes, we're usually a friendly bunch ;-)
Sit back, buckle up and enjoy the ride :puffpipe:

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
Welcome Paul, great choice with the MacBaren Vanilla Cream, sweet tasting baccy. Have fun here.

aaronbear

Lurker
Feb 7, 2012
Welcome Paul I am fairly new to the pipe world too also from UK , Suffolk actually, these guys are the friendliest bunch full of experience and knowledge you wont go far wrong mixing with these guys they made me feel quite welcome.

shawn

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Welcome aboard. I have learned much from the brothers/sisters here.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Welcome to the forums. :puffy:
Vanilla Cream is pretty decent. It is a sometimes smoke for me as I tend to prefer not heavily aromatic tobaccos.
I also remember the careful breaking in of a pipe when I started out. Now I just fill the bowl to the top and make sure to smoke it slowly. Anyone else do that to new pipes?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Welcome Paul! You found the right place for all the pipe info and feedback you need. Always glad to see a new member to the hobby. Enjoy! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.