PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
As someone who has been smoking pipes for 1 week I'd like to know what you guys would recommend in terms of lighters under $100. I'm particularly interested in vintage lighters you would recommend as I spend most of my professional life at estate sales and auctions and often run across vintage lighters.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nothing beats matches, a Bic, or a Zippo, bit I do enjoy my Nimrod. Got it unused years ago for $20.
img_20141203_105358-1.jpg

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Zippo, with enough left over for lower end Pete or Sav.
Bic or matches, with enough left over for that Pete or Sav AND a couple of cobs.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Too quick to click "send post"...
My reasoning here is that I think its better to add a few pipes to the rotation than a lighter for someone just starting out.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have an IM Corona Old Boy. Should have used that money on tobacco. Dropped it once, and now it leaks fuel.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Kiribi Old Boy style. About $80 new. Not vintage, but vintage style. Meantime, Bics are fine. I don't like Zippos, and Nimrods seem a bit fussy. Matches are always a good backup, and I often use them for the first light.
If you're prone to dropping things, stick with Bic....
Here's a bit more info on a variety of butanes. LINK to THREAD

May 4, 2015
Bottom line, if you want to feel "fancy" go old boy or old boy style. If you want to efficiently light your pipe, use a BIC or matches. Anything beyond BIC or matches is style points.

Mar 1, 2014
I got by for a long time on Bics, sometimes they're still the best thing you can get (matches also leave a bunch of half burned stems).

Just flip it upside down at a 45 degree angle so the flame shoots into the bowl.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Anything beyond BIC or matches is style points."
Totally agree. My preference is for the angled type of soft flame butane lighters. Yes they only last a few months (made in China you see) before the 'clicker' gives out but at about £5 for six on Amazon they're a good deal.
These here 'fancy' lighters at £80+ are all well and good until they too give up the ghost (and they will)...leaving you much more out of pocket.
Regards,
Jay.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Kiribi.
Also I prefer Djeep over BIC and cheap BIC knock offs as you can keep your thumb farther away from the flame.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Anything beyond BIC or matches is style points.
You could make a case that a cheap refillable lighter is more cost efficient than a series of BICs. Or you couldn't. I'd cost more to do the study than you'd save!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Just Google up vintage lighters and read up on all of them since you like auctions and estate sales, instead of listening to all these personal preferences.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I use my bic to light my wick and have soft, clean, lights that last as long as I care to keep lit.

A shake and a pinch of the wick after and you're ready for the next use. Even relights. It's second nature to me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.