PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Ive decided to take up pipe smoking. I have allways loved the smell of the pipe tobacco. And remember my trips to the local tobacco store with my old aunt, I got a sausauge while she drank coffee and talked to her friends :)
I have kind of decided to order a Falcon pipe as my first pipe, its in my price range and I can change bowl quite easy.....and Ive heard positive things about this pipe. Do you have any other suggestions? (and i think it looks really cool)
Is there any tobacco I really should try out? I am an experienced cigar and cigarette smoker, I like my tobacco spicy and full but also mild in the morning and late afternoon.
I guess when ordering online, the different vendors have different brands? Im new to online ordering, we used to have very nice old tobacco specialst store down here in Norway. Now, cause of tax and laws they are all gone. I cant get pipe tobacco even in this city i live in.
Any suggestions are very welcome, I need starter tips

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
A Falcon will suit you well for a first pipe. Invest in a couple bowls to go with it and you are set. You can learn the ropes (packing, lighting, smoking, etc) and then move up if you decide to stick with it.
As for tobaccos, I would go with something heavier for the spicy and full, something like Sam Gawith St. James Flake. While not spicy, Peterson University Flake is a very good blend. Perique is what will give you that spicy taste/feeling. A good mild tobacco for morning would be Dunhill Flake, Mac Baren Navy Flake or Orlik Golden Slices.
Most online vendors have a proprietary line but most all sell the same tobaccos from the big houses. If you are Norway, I would recommend 4noggins.com, I hear they are really good with international shipping.
A lot of tinned tobaccos will be very moist out of the tin so its important to let them dry quite a bit before packing. The lighter flakes I mentioned do not require much dry time, so that is a plus.
Welcome to the forum. Hang out and you will learn a lot. Much easier to learn about pipe smoking these days plus get lots of ideas for new tobaccos and pipes to try out.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Thank you both :)
What is the policy on mentioning vendors that ships internationally on this site?
I also need some high nicotine tobacco, to cure my cigarette inhale habit.

The Falcon i will def buy from 4noggins.com, I mailed the site and got response very promptly, so I just do my buisniss there

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
There are a couple tobaccos out there that use cigar leaf if that is a taste you enjoy. I enjoy Luxury Bullseye Flake and Escudo Navy Deluxe as my spicier smokes and they can be had at a decent price especially the LBF. I recommend looking at some reviews to see what you might like. If you really need the nicotene hit you can always mix in some Five Brothers to whatever blend you may be enjoying. There are tons of tips on this site. You've come to the right place. Do some exploring...

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
My first order:
A.C. Petersen: ESCUDO

Orlik: GOLDEN SLICED

Dunhill Bulk: NIGHTCAP

Dunhill Bulk: EARLY MORNING PIPE

Seattle Pipe Club Bulk: MISSISSIPPI RIVER
When I recieve the tobacco, should I let it rest and dry? And how should i store it?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Welcome to the fold.
That is a wonderful first tobacco order, with good variety of high quality tobaccos.
I would recommend that as soon as you open a tin, that you transfer the tobacco to a mason jar with a proper canning lid (ring and lid with rubber seal). You're giving to want to store it at room temperature in an air tight, and light tight (moatly) environment. There are many perspectives on if you should, and how much you should, dry your tobacco prior to smoking.
It sounds trite, but I'd recommend you exhaust the threads here on getting started with pipe smoking. If it's easy for you, you could also search YouTube for videos on pipe packing, drying tobacco, and lighting a pipe.
It's nice to have you here, I hope you enjoy your new pastime.
-- Pat

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I would also recommend trying a plumb cake ( it is not an aro tobacco, it is strong and has great taste

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. A mild Latakia blend is Altadis Fox and Hound, to see if you like Latakia. A rather strong

but flavorful burley blend with cigar leaf is Cornell & Diehl Billy Budd. I wouldn't suggest it for a new smoker,

but since you like cigars, you may like it, and it will let you know if you like burley. Both these are available

in bulk, at somewhat less cost than tinned tobacco blends, and in small quantities so you can sample them,

and many other bulk offerings.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Thank you guys!
Im shortlisting all your suggestions and will try them on my next order.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Is there anyway I can get notification on my email, when I get answer or anyone posted in a thread I just posted in?

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
favorite the thread and it will email you EVERYTIME someone posts to it...

At the top of the thread there is a linek that is in BLUE that says "add this topic to your favorites"

Status
Not open for further replies.