PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronbear

Lurker
Feb 7, 2012
I have just ordered myself a selection of different tobaccos to try, can i use the same pipe to smoke them all or will ghosting occur , is there certain tobaccos that tend to ghost a pipe more than others, do use a different pipe for each tobacco? What do you do?

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I'm by no means an expert, but I don't seem to notice any ghosting and I smoke all my baccies out of all of my pipes. I just tend to give them a rest and a good cleaning between smokes. I've heard of people using certain pipes for certain blends, but from what I've seen, it's because they're found the 'perfect' pipe for a certain blend.
I'm sure you'll get some better answer than this, but it's just my $0.02.
-Stephen

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You will get ghosting when you mix different categories. I have my pipes set up for virginia flakes, vapers,lakelands and aromatics. I don't smoke English blends so I don't have to worry about those. Just the other day I mistakenly put some virginia flake into one of my lakeland pipes and man all I could taste was the lakeland essence, it did not bode well for the flake I tried smoking.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
IMHO; ghosting occurs when you smoke some latakia blends, and some Aromatics as well.

But, that isn't a hard a fast rule.

As for dedicating pipes to particular tobaccos... Whatever floats your boat.

I have only a couple of pipes that are particularly suited to particular blends.

However: I must let you know....

Unless you like a ghosted pipe never smoke Stanwell Melange.

It'll ghost your pipe on the first puff. :crazy:

IMHO...

:puffy:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
@cigrmaster: "I don't smoke English blends so I don't have to worry about those." Amen brother! Once you put that devil weed in your pipe it's over for that briar!
All kidding aside I freely smoke aromatics, Va-pers and orientals out of the same pipes but have dedicated ones for the English blends. :D

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
As a reformed english blend puffer, I think the latakia will definitely ghost. Its tricky. Casper the unfriendly ( oh I guess that was spooky) ghost can create real problems, and if it is ghosting a briar you will never really be able to judge the baccy you are trying since it is mongreling up your pipe. I guess I would try to dedicate a few differnt pipes to tobacco types as someone has mentioned. Aros. english, vapers. I would never mix aros & english. It is interesting when buying an estate pipe, to try to determine the baccy that has been smoked in it, before cleaning it. Some are ghosted, some are not.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I never have ghosting in any of my pipes for three reasons.
1 I dry all my tobaccos before I smoke them

2 I don't allow cake to build in my pipes

3 I completely clean my pipes after each use with 91% Isopropyl

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
+1 galeon I have never dedicated my pipes to certain blends and have never noticed any problems with ghosting but that's just me.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I smoke mostly english blends so ghosting doesn't scare me. I have never really bothered dedicating pipes to certain blends. I guess if I'm smoking aromatic or a VA, I'm so used to having latakia in my pipe that I don't notice any significant difference. That or I'm too unsophisticated to care.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have a latakia rotation and a virginia rotation. Don't smoke aros enough for it to matter - tend to use a cob for those.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I have Had one estate pipe with a ghost to it but that ghost was in smell before I stuffed it full of english

Status
Not open for further replies.