PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Hello everyone!
I've recently become interested in pipe smoking and need some advice. I currently smoke cigars and consider myself a fast smoker, and I hear this can be a problem with the pipe I am eyeballing. I realize I should probably start with one of those cobs, but I want to get something a bit more expensive but not outrageous for a beginner like me at least. I'm looking at the Churchwarden Ebony Billiard from this website http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/74790/roma-welllington-churchwarden-ebony-pipes/
On other forums, I read that you should go for whatever pipe that attracts you most and that you can obviously afford. This meets both requirements, but as a fast smoker, I read somewhere that churchwardens become hot easily and can be awkward to handle anywhere but the bowl. Is this true?
Thanks for your help guys; I really appreciate it!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Welcome rottingcorpse.

Might I suggest that fast smoking a pipe is not the most efficacious manner?

If you WANT to smoke a pipe, you should smoke it like a pipe.

I'm not a cigar smoker, and I don't pretend to know what fast smoking a cigar is all about, but I do know that cadence, rhythm and pace are consequential to the enjoyment of pipe smoking.

The idea is to slow down. Taste. Sooth. Quench. Enjoy.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
I wouldn't say CW's get hotter than any other style... tobacco prep & packing method, cadence, bowl's internal shape have more effect on temp than simply having a long stem does...

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
A cw is harder to clean only in the sense that your regular length pipe cleaners might not be long enough to fit all the way through the stem. They sell cw pipe cleaners. Not a big deal in the least.
You shouldn't smoke quickly as Newbroom said. That entirely defeats the point of a pipe and you won't get nearly as much out of the experience. The point is to relax. If you're puffing like a freight train then you aren't relaxing and you aren't living in the moment. Also, some tobaccos/casings even taste rancid or soured if pushed too quickly.
I've often heard that one of the benefits of a cw is that the long stem allows the smoke to cool a bit more than a shorter stem. This may improve the flavor of the smoke. In any case, Bonehed is exactly right as well.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
My opinion on longer stemmed pipes is that a large group of people feel that to be "smoking" a pipe you need to be exhaling plumes of smoke. With something that long it takes longer more deliberate draws to achieve the same effect they would get with a smaller sized pipe. A long deliberate draw can cause the same sort of an issue overheating as several short fast consecutive puffs causing the tobacco to burn hot.(both are potentially introducing too much oxygen)
The trick I use is to maintain a similar cadence to a smaller stemmed pipe; the longer pipe will eventually kind of prime itself with smoke similar to a water pump. As long as that cadence is maintained one shouldn't have problems with overheating.(unless other variable like packing are driving it)
A good cadence is probably going to be easier developed on a more moderately sized pipe.
Not saying don't by a churchwarden; they are sweet pipes. I am just saying may want to consider the $5-8 more and pick up a cob to mess around with.(would be good to have a backup to let the churchwarden rest too)
As for cleaning it is advisable to pick up the extra long pipe cleaners.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks everyone. You guys are incredibly friendly and helpful. I'm going to browse a bit more before I order my pipe. I was looking at this churchwarden specifically because of its reasonable size and price. I don't want a traditional 10+ inch churchwarden but not a standard pipe size. This churchwarden is 7 inches and seems very reasonable in both size and price. I was mainly concerned about it "overheating." Thanks again everyone!

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
That Roma Wellington Churchwarden looks like a nice pipe. It's only 7 inches long, so it's not extreme at all. It also has a fairly small bowl, which I think is easier to smoke than a large one. The bend is mild, so you don't have to deal with the issues of a full bent. I like it.
I have a 10 inch churchwarden with a more pronounced bend. It smokes well, but takes more attention than some other pipes. Two other 8 inch pipes (one a Cobbit Dwarf) smoke cool and easy.
Standard pipe cleaners are 6 inches. There would be no problem with the stem off, and might even work with the stem attached, if you're nimble. They just barely reach the bowl on my 8 inch pipes.
Everything said about smoking slow is wise advice.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Hey, just an update...
I browsed for some time and kept going back to the churchwarden, so I went ahead and purchased it. Thanks for all you help, and I'll try to smoke more conservatively once I begin. Thanks again, you're all very helpful and friendly.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I went ahead and bought a variety of tobacco as well. I purchased some bold tobacco but mostly sweetly flavored, as I'm a big Drew Estate fan when it comes to cigars, but I enjoy other brands and flavors too. I'm sure I'll enjoy experimenting with all the unique flavors. Thank you for your concern, Mephistopheles.

welsh1

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
Good luck with the pipe.. I too like the idea of the cw but alas I am learning to slow down..

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
I know you've already made your purchase, but I'll throw another suggestion into the mix just for fun. If you want a churchwarden and you have concerns about smoking too fast, you might consider a clay pub pipe. You can find them online at very reasonable prices and it's impossible to smoke hot enough to damage the pipe. So you'll give yourself the opportunity to find that line between smoking at a comfortable pace and smoking too fast as you notice the heat affecting the taste of the tobacco. You could burn your tongue to a char before you ever harm the pipe, whereas with your briar you could potentially damage the pipe before you know it.
Another thought, as a former cigar smoker and newer pipe smoker I've noticed that my taste in pipe tobacco is totally different from what I liked in cigars. So basing your choices on the kinds of cigars you like is a great place to start but don't be surprised if your taste in pipe tobacco takes you in a totally different direction. I'd avoid buying large amounts of any tobacco at first. I think sample packs are a great choice. So good call on that. Happy smoking!

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks, Robin and Jruthledge for your kind comments and advice. I look forward to experimenting with the unique flavors that this hobby has to offer and am glad I purchased a custom sampler. I'll try to avoid fast smoking and this notorious "tongue bite." Thanks again!

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Why don't you try out a MM wizard cobbit maybe 25$ shipping and all...this will give you a pretty good feel of what a churchwarden is like without spending 50+ on a churchwarden that you may not even like. I have two churchwardens and I don't feel they smoke hotter... Cleaning well you can get the extra long cleaners for that or hit up walmart in the arts and crafts they have an item that is 88 cents and is the same thing as a pipe cleaners (yeah I was desperate) just a different name for decorations, but work just as good.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd avoid buying large amounts of any tobacco at first
And by 'at first' I'd say for at least the first 6 mos. As you develop your skills of pipe smoking you may also experience a 'maturation' of your taste buds which will allow you to enjoy multiple blends and to find a tobacco genre or two with which to experiment further.
I'd bet there is more than one piper on these pages who has jumped into large quantities too soon after taking up the pipe and now have stocks of leaf that has lost its luster.
Most of us didn't marry the first person we ever kissed.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
+1 newbroom yeah you never want to over spend and by that I would say try different blends but never purchase more then an ounce of a specific blend because what happens way to often is say a person enjoys aromatics for example but has never wanted to try an English blend... Well this person just bought lbs of aromatics and decides to try English blends... Wow this person really enjoyed the English blend and is hooked and that's all this person wants to smoke now.... See that lb of aromatic is just sitting and not being touched now....true story it happens. Just get your feet wet first and don't dive in because sadly taste in tobaccos change drastically... But for some people like myself it's all what I'm hungry for so to speak.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
When I took up pipe smoking seriously, the two stages I found the most important were packing the bowl and then lighting. Pack it carefully and take your time, not too tight and not too loose either. Full and springy on top is useful. When lighting initially, puff slowly and get the whole of the top charred first (hence the phrase 'charring light'). Let it cool off, tamp gently down, then relight with those slow puffs, ensuring the tobacco has caught the flame well. The draw should be free and smooth. After that, keep it alight by regular puffs but not furious ones, just regular and steady. Tamp every now and then. If it goes out, relight! The tobacco's moistness, texture and cut all contribute to the smoke, too. The best way forward is just to smoke your pipe regularly and steadily and keep in mind what happens. You'll soon get the hang of it despite any early difficulties. I wish you every happiness at the start of this great activity.

As to tobaccos, try buying different samplers (which means, particularly as you start a pipe, that you are not spending a lot of money on something you don't like) from the retailers. Trying them will bring out the various taste and sensations each one brings. The adventure begins...

Steve

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I wouldn't get a cw for a first pipe. They are more for connoisseurs. The long stem is elegant but cumbersome in any setting other than when you are only smoking with some sedentary activity, like watching TV.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Hi 4nogginsmike,
I understand I'm the definition of a novice, but this churchwarden is a mere 7 inches in length and has a reasonably small bowl. The pipe also appealed to my taste, which is apparently a huge factor for purchasing a pipe. I don't intend to smoke anywhere but outside, in my yard and after work (where I decompress), so I don't think I'll have many problems. Thanks for your advice and concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.