PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooby

Lurker
Feb 5, 2013
As in never smoked a pipe.... Just made my first purchase. MMC Country Gentleman, bent bit. Now what? Please excuse my ignorance.
Oh, and thanks in advance! You guys have already been very helpful.

Jul 15, 2011
MMC Country Gentleman, bent bit. Now what?
Youll want to get yourself a tobacco called Irish Flake. Great for a newbie. Make sure you light it with a torch lighter, those are the only ones that work well. Hold the lighter over the tobacco until it gets nice and hot and you get a roaring cherry, then puff away. Also, you should probably inhale as much as you can.
:rofl:
OK, in all seriousness, dont do anything I told you to do above.
Pick a tobacco that you think you may like, and dont shy away from trying Englishes, Virginias, Burleys, etc. Get a good variety and sample a lot of different blends. Dont pack too tight or too loosely. Always check the draw before you light. It should feel like sipping soda through a straw, just a little resistance. Light carefully and slowly and smoke nice and slow and you should do fine. Welcome to the forum!

scooby

Lurker
Feb 5, 2013
Youll want to get yourself a tobacco called Irish Flake. Great for a newbie. Make sure you light it with a torch lighter, those are the only ones that work well. Hold the lighter over the tobacco until it gets nice and hot and you get a roaring cherry, then puff away. Also, you should probably inhale as much as you can.
Great advice... I'll post pics of the after-smoke hurling session.... 8O
Seriously, thanks for the advice!

Jul 15, 2011
Get yourself a Virginia tobacco, Burley tobacco, aromatic tobacco, English tobacco, dont let yourself get pigeonholed into one variety. I like using matches to light my pipes, but a soft butane candle flame works well too. Also, your MM cob probably came with a filter. I would chuck it. I like the way they smoke without one. Also, a noobie mistake that I made for a long time was tamping too hard and too often. Use your tamper as little as possible. If you feel your pipe going out, tamp gently while puffing a couple of times and it will get your tobacco burning again.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
Welcome to the forum, and great choice of first pipe!

When you've experimented a bit with different tobaccos, you might want to try out a moderately priced briar - and there are plenty of them.

My own recommendation is a Falcon, because it smokes cool and pleasantly, is readily available, very sturdy and easy to maintain. Additonally, you can purchase interchangeable bowls and use them with the same stem, which gives you a good rotation.
Whatever you choose to purchase, good luck and good smoking! :puffy:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
:laughat:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the forum. Might I suggest this as your first briar purchase. It is a nice looking pipe at a very reasonable price.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rasmussen/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=102541

scooby

Lurker
Feb 5, 2013
Might I suggest this as your first briar purchase. It is a nice looking pipe at a very reasonable price.
Cigrmaster, Great suggestion! I will definitely give it some serious consideration...
On another note, I know I am new here, but I was wondering, you seem like a nice enough guy, would you mind giving me a $10,000 grant? 8)

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
Welcome Scooby! This is THE place for great advice! If you don't have a tobacconist near you, I like Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco. I can get that at Walgreens. Have fun and explore!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Harris
I think it's only fair that you give Scooby the ten grand grant
Hey it's only ten grand and he can get 2 of those things!
Allan

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
Packing the bowl correctly and tamping often will help to enjoy the smoke, and smoke slowly that way to enjoy the flavor and cut back on tongue bite. Enjoy!

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
Welcome aboard.

The next step is tobacco, if you have a B&M stop by say hi sniff some bulk jars and pick up an ounce or so of what seems interesting to you. Take your pipe with you, as most places I've been to will tell you to fill a pipe with whatever you want to try, I may not get the tobacco I try(some of them just aren't my style) but if I already know one I'm getting anyway I always try a new one(good way to get some variety and a feel for what I like). If you find yourself in a good B&M, and you find yourself drawn to certain blends, talk to the guy or gal behind the counter, they will be able to point out other blends that are similar or are other examples of what you like about certain blends.

If a good B&M is not available or even if it is you may consider a sampler pack from one of our sponsors. most of them have some cheapy sampler that is 4 or 5 different tobaccos in 1 or 2 oz bags for 20 bucks or so. This will give you a quick variety to load up your cob and try. I like this one from P&C.com, it has four vastly different tobaccos that cover a wide spectrum. Since many of us here shop with our sponsors frequently there's a good chance you'll be able to get a conversation going that goes something like this.(names have been changed to protect the not so innocent)

You: Hey I really like the (smokiness/mildness/boldness/etc) in this tobacco, any ideas for my next tobacco purchase?

User a: have you tried (A?)

user B: +1 to (A) also try (B)

User C:ask ten smokers get a hundred answers but I recommend (C)(B)(D)

About 30 responses later You'll have heard forty or fifty different tobaccos, a discussion about OTC, and probably an admonition from a mod about thread capitalization. Wade through those tobaccos and you'll find some of them get repeated or plus oned over and over. These are popular brands and probably for a reason, give em a whack, then you'll see a bunch more, get one or two of them at a time too,they aren't as widely known, but then I'm sure even lane limited 1Q had humble beginnings.

Then you'll have fifty odd pipes,60 odd mason jars of different tobaccos laying around,and these dirty bastards on here will just keep enabling your PAD/TAD with sexy pipe pictures and mouthwatering tobacco reviews.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
"About 30 responses later You'll have heard forty or fifty different tobaccos, a discussion about OTC, and probably an admonition from a mod about thread capitalization..."
LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.