Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

New zmr Brog #48 "Chochla"

(18 posts)
  1. morbious81

morbious81

Login to Send PM

I just recieved my new Mr Brog (waited 3 weeks to arrive from Poland) . It smokes perfectly cool and fits the hand well. Here's a few pictures with quarter for size reference.

https://goo.gl/photos/bUrEZd73LLAHLnzM7

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Good luck with your new Mr Brog. Two years ago my daughter purchased a Mr Brog as a gift for me on Father's Day. With less then 50 smokes a hole burnt thru one side. I'm an experienced pipe smoker and know how too break in a briar. My pipe had a knot inside the chamber, an obvious defect. I sent Mr Brog ( if there is really a Mr Brog ) an email with pictures directly to the website in Poland. Never heard back!! Obviously NO CUSTOMER SERVICE OR CARE!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. morbious81

morbious81

Login to Send PM

I've seen good and bad reviews of Mr Brog and pear wood pipes for that matter. I figured I'd give it a shot. If it goes down hill I'm out a total of $23.00, and Ill have learned what not to buy. I'll follow up after it gets some heavy use. I am admittedly a novice, If anyone can break this thing, I can

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Morb, yup...break it in slow. Please post an update once you get a cake build up. Have a great weekend.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats, Brog is a great smoker, mine likes Frog Morton

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. morbious81

morbious81

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Pagan. This one seems to like the frog as well, WAY too early to be sure though.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4ey8pxh53lu7rs/20160903_141844.jpg?dl=0

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoyed my Mr Brog Scoot today. Smokes great. This is not the shape I am usually attracted to, but this pipe does attract me. It is big enough to fill my hand.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, that is an URL of some note!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

FMOTB - Best of the Frogs.

Congrats on your latest PAD!

Dot
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. morbious81

morbious81

Login to Send PM

The shape was different enough that I had to give it a shot. Likely the only tomato like pipe I'll ever buy, but it does feel nice in my hand. I'm still in the early stages of PAD, trying to build a good rotation without going broke....

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. morbious81

morbious81

Login to Send PM

So I need I need the voices of experience on this one. I've been smoking this one on and off to break it in. I pulled the filter, found it's not for me. Now I notice that the shank turns a bit and is generally loose. Is this to be expected smoking a filtered without the filter, or is this a sign of cheap craftsmanship? It still smokes just fine, just wobbles a bit...

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Morb, that's the sign of Mr. Brog pipes!! They are hit and miss, never for me again. I've had a bad experience and a friend of mine did also. Mr. Brog from Poland or his customer service will not respond to emails concerning questions on defective pipes. My MM pipes last longer and smoke better with no issues. That pipe you have should smoke without a filter with no issues if crafted properly.

KEEP ON PUFFING, BUT NOT WITH A BROG!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. morbious81

morbious81

Login to Send PM

Live and learn. Think I'm going to get a couple MM's, cobs seem to impart little to no taste to the tobacco, and I like to have one to travel with to keep from losing or breaking a good pipe. Its a shame, brog makes a couple good looking pipes too...

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Morb, Brog makes some real nice pokers also, would I purchase one....NOT. Your correct about MM pipes, but the first bowl or two you might get a hint of corn. They make good pipes too try new blends before ghosting up one of your good pipes. Break them in slow and they will last.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A removable filter will have no effect on the fit of tenon and mortise.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. morbious81

morbious81

Login to Send PM

I figured it was a craftsmanship issue. I wasnt expectibg a high grade pipe for the price. This thing does smoke well though. Well enough that Im willing to tolerate the wobble. It does make me a bit gun shy about buying another Brog though. Time will tell. Ordered up the MM grab bag to have pipes to rotate. Only have a H.I.S. and this Brog right now. I cool and dry both, but dont want to over use either.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds about right. Possibly applying a good coat of bees wax could lessen the wobble.

Welcome to the forum; enjoy!

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Jp is absolutely correct. Try Bee's wax.... I use that $hit on everything....lol

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   chasingembers, ashdigger, ben88, sholto, josephcross, jiminks, tnfan, jpmcwjr, loadclear, monkeylyf, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, danimalia, thefishguy